cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Batteries for a diesel Tow rig?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I've got a high Performance Tow rig '97 Dodge 12 Valve Cummins with about 500 HP & over the past 6-7 years have only used it for my Truck Camper.

But now I've purchased a Travel Trailer that will allow me more use for my truck than just the Truck Camper.

I'll drive here & there to work or for fun or to tow my New Trailer we just got.
Or my boat to the lakes.

What would you recommend?
Its got dual Batteries under the hood that have been there for years & are constantly dead.

Time to get new ones & wonder what you recommend?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
26 REPLIES 26

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Jim-Linda wrote:
Check out any big truck dealer got battery specials. Group 31's are common.

I *think* the OP's truck uses group 27's.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Check out any big truck dealer got battery specials. Group 31's are common.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Costco has decent batteries for the price.
Sorry to disagree with Grit Dog but I would avoid Odyssey batteries. They don't have the CCA required for a diesel engine.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I get them from Costco. Best warranty at 42 months. Full replacement. How do you go wrong with that? They are Interstate batteries but when mine go bad, I drop them on the counter and no questions asked. Replaced
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Just got two 765 CCA's from Costco about a week ago. $143.99 each.
I shopped around and they were the cheapest. The OEM's were 730 CCA, and I got 5.5 years out of them. I figure I should get the same out of these.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I replaced my batteries in the 2001 Ram 2500, bought from local Ram dealer, listed at $99 and they had a 10% off coupon $89 ea not bad still strong at 5 years.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck is 21 years old. Have you replaced the batteries before? I got about 10 years out of my OEM batteries and was happy. If you do better than 5 years with a vehicle battery I feel like you've done well. If you've had your last batteries for a decade or more, get them again.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I've had really good luck with Costco batteries.

Have dual 850's in the truck that have so far out performed and outlasted a couple sets of name brand batteries.

Although as I understand it only a couple of companies in U.S/Canada that actually manufacture these batteries for everyone else.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
AMG would be a waste of money.

Not at all.
While it is a personal decision, just not having to check the "water" level every 90 days or so is worth the difference for me. This is especially true if the location makes them hard to access.

Then AGMs tend to last a LOT longer so in many cases they end up paying for themselves.

But yes, he should try to figure out WHY the batteries constantly go dead while just sitting. It might be just self-discharge from being old and sulphated.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
AMG would be a waste of money. They are primarily designed to not lose fluid if tilted on their side or upside down.

Assuming you just need them to start the engine, any cheap battery of sufficient CCA will be fine.

If your current batteries are always dead, check for stray current before replacing the batteries. The best batteries in the world will still go dead if you let them sit for a couple weeks with a 5-10amp constant draw. Did you add some aftermarket device that doesn't shut down when you pull the key?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Money no object, I'd reccomend Odyssey AGM. Have a pair going on 10 years old and a "new set" in the boat going on 5 years. The 10 year ones were in the boat for 5 years before going into the truck.
But, you don't need anything special. Any decent flooded batteries will serve you for years too with proper charging, maintenance , no parasitic drains, etc.

Can you give me more details on price & why they are so great?
Gel?
Standard?

These must be Strong Cranking Batteries for a hot rod Diesel that at time drps into very cold temps.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Money no object, I'd reccomend Odyssey AGM. Have a pair going on 10 years old and a "new set" in the boat going on 5 years. The 10 year ones were in the boat for 5 years before going into the truck.
But, you don't need anything special. Any decent flooded batteries will serve you for years too with proper charging, maintenance , no parasitic drains, etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold