cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

best running boards for 3500 4x4 duramax?

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts or opinions for the best (meaning function and sturdy) running boards or side steps for a '16 Chevy crewcab 4x4 DRW?

Is it better to have open ones to drain ice and mud or just a rubber tread of some sort?
27 REPLIES 27

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
corvettekent wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
AMP Research PowerStep running boards. We went with them because when folded down, they are 4 inches closer to the ground than either of the Chevy stock boards. They cost more, but they make it much easier for us old folks to get in and out.

X2

X4 the smaller the first step the more useful they are.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

As far as full length running boards.....Froends don't let friends install running boards. Lol

All a matter of personal preference

corvettekent wrote:
CarnationSailor wrote:
AMP Research PowerStep running boards. We went with them because when folded down, they are 4 inches closer to the ground than either of the Chevy stock boards. They cost more, but they make it much easier for us old folks to get in and out.

X2

X3
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am partial to THESE, they have a really clean look.

Add to it that customer service if you ever need it is outstanding.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed these on my 2017 duramax:

Ranch Hand StepsRanch Hand Steps

These do a great job of hiding that tumorous looking DEF tank on the passenger side. You can get them with a step for the bed, but I chose not to in order to discourage people from leaning over the truck and scratching it.

They install in the pre-drilled (and sometimes pre-tapped) locations on the underside of the body. So the install effort is super easy.

(And they look awesome)
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
obie311 wrote:
by "open" I meant expanded metal or perforated metal as opposed to tubing with flattened indentations covered with plastic tread.

We ran those on our trucks in the oilfields. Very functional and well built.
As far as full length running boards.....Froends don't let friends install running boards. Lol

I'd go individual tube steps or full length rock slider style with with steps built in.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
hornet28 wrote:
My CC had the tube steps when I bought it. I didn't care for them as I felt they were too narrow and a foot could easily slip off if it was slick with ice or snow. I found possibly the last set of DEE ZEE diamond plate full length boards by calling DEE ZEE this was in 14

X2 to the full length when towing a 5er! Makes getting in the bed easy!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
My CC had the tube steps when I bought it. I didn't care for them as I felt they were too narrow and a foot could easily slip off if it was slick with ice or snow. I found possibly the last set of DEE ZEE diamond plate full length boards by calling DEE ZEE this was in 14

What it looked like when purchased

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:

X2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

obie311
Explorer
Explorer
by "open" I meant expanded metal or perforated metal as opposed to tubing with flattened indentations covered with plastic tread.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are tublar. Dealer installed them when we bought the truck new as one of those items, add it at no charge or it's a deal breaker. Did it and have never had any problems with them.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If by "open" steps you mean tube steps, I have had a set of Westin Platinum (chrome plated Stainless steel) tube steps since my truck was new in 02. They have held up well but not perfectly. The only small complaint I have is that there are some odd little spots in a few places in the chrome but hey have been that way for at least half their life and it has never blistered, peeled or otherwise failed. The black plastic step have also held up great. I've seen other brands twist and warp.
They are very strong and have not bent at all.