cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best travel trailer for 6ft 7in tall person

aussie_fonz
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are coming from Australia to the U.S. early next year for a 12 month road trip. We plan on buying a TT and TV and selling them before our return home, but can anyone recommend TT manufacturers that cater for the taller person, i.e. inside height of trailer and bed length? My research on the net seems to point to a Dutchmen as their interior height is 80in.
Wendy
10 REPLIES 10

aussie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi aussie fonz
We are also Australian who have done and are doing what you are planning. While we are not as tall as your OH our son (6'5") stayed with us for a while in our fifth wheel and was quite comfortable except when he was showering and had to stand with his head in the skylight! fun to see!!
We have a bedroom slide which enables us to have a full queen (not an rv queen) which would be way too short for your OH. Unless he sleeps curled up all the time a king size would be the best bet for you.
I can't help with the ceiling heights in travel trailers but I know there are some manufacturers who do make TT's with higher ceilings.
Our rig is currently stored in Phoenix after two x 12 month trips around the states. We will be returning some time soon for another trip.
Good luck with your plans and you can always PM me if you want to ask any questions.
It is possible to get a 12 month entry permit but it is not always as easy as just asking at the entry point. So just be aware.
Cheers
Paula
Perth, Australia

aussie_fonz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your thoughts....this gives me more research to do.
Wendy

Camper_Mama_Bea
Explorer
Explorer
watch the bed lengths, rv beds are shorter then standard house beds.
Good Sam Life Members. Camping with two young children in a 2007 Pilgrim fifth wheel (278BHSS) pulled with a 2002 F350.

magila
Explorer
Explorer
I am 6'7" as well and went with the KingSport 265BHS. It has 6'9" ceiling height, just watch out for doorways.:S

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, when you get here...welcome to the US and hope you enjoy your stay!

The Gold Coast is at the top of my short list for travel destinations...long time surfer.
I love me some land yachting

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Plenty of 80"+ interior height TT brands.

All Open Range brands
Jayco Jayflight and Eagle
Keystone has some brands that do
Heartland
Forest River
etc.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
A 5th wheel is the best bet, but you'll still have problems standing up in the bedroom.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Northridge (by Coachmen) fifth wheel. They and their sister unit (the more upscale Brookstone) are quite tall inside. I'm 6'5", and was quite happy to discover that both the Northridge and Brookstone units have slideouts with 6'7" interior height. I've never found any other unit with slideouts that I can stand up inside.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
There are certain TT that have 7' ceilings. I think the Travel Star by Starcraft does. And I think the Sunset Trail Reserve by Crossroads does.

You would be MUCH better off going with a fifth wheel setup. Often times, you can find a decent used fifth wheel on craigslist for low to mid twenties, and sometimes they are even paired with a good TV.

Good luck!
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Is there no possibility of buying a 5th wheel?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)