cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best vehicles for towing

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to the idea of buying a TT. The vehicle we have now won't safely tow the size we want so we will need to buy another vehicle. We are looking at a TT that has about a 6500lb dry weight. What vehicles should we be looking at to tow that?

Are we crazy for getting such a big TT as our first one? There will consistently be probably three adults (maybe more) and two little kids. Space for a pack n play is important since our toddler would roll off a bed.

Thanks!!
44 REPLIES 44

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford E series or Chevy vans would work, but just keep in mind they aren't really built the same as most passenger vehicles. They are designed first as commercial vehicles, and are very crude on the inside. For some people this isn't an issue, but if you're expecting the same comfort as a modern half ton or 3/4 ton truck, you'll be disappointed. For my work we have had about a dozen different E-series and Chevy vans over the last few years. Currently we have 4 E-350s, and 1 Chevy 3500, all diesel except one E-series. They are easier to drive than you expect, but also noisier than you expect. The fit and finish of the interior is also lacking significantly. Our 2011 E series has the same steering wheel as my Grandpa's 1997 F-150.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shorteelaw wrote:
Yeah I don't want to have to spend a ton if I don't have to since the TT will be quite a bit too. It definitely has to seat 4 though (including two car seats).

Tow capacity, GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating), and payload (weight the vehicle can carry, including passengers, cargo, hitch, and trailer tongue weight), are determined by powertrain, frame, brakes, tires, and suspension. Thus, when a manufacturer builds a 1/2 ton truck, they will all have a similar GVWR. IE: They build a regular cab model, on with same powertrain, frame, brakes, etc, as they do a crew cab. Anything they add to the vehicle, such as crew cab, 4 X 4, tow package, etc, adds weight to the vehicle and reduces payload, pound for pound.

A trailer with 6500 lb unloaded weight, will be close to 8000 lbs loaded. Average tongue weight being about twelve percent (could be as high as 15%), your tongue weight would be a little over 900 lbs, plus another 100 for a weight distributing hitch.

Your minimum seating capacity says, you must have a crew cab. It may be difficult to find a 1/2 ton crewcab, with enough payload to handle a family of four, along with their associated cargo, and 1000 lbs of trailer weight. There are some out there, but, you would need to check each and every one, to verify GVWR and payload.

There are variations of 1/2 ton Dodge, Ford, and GM trucks that have payloads anywhere from 1400 lbs, up to 2300 lbs.

Add up the weight of your entire family, plus car seats, plus estimated cargo (coolers, snacks, bikes, strollers, maybe some firewood) that may go in or on the truck, plus 1000 lbs for trailer weight. You'll need to find a truck that has available payload to handle that, plus have a little cushion. Something with 1400 lbs payload, probably won't do the job.

Towing at max weight, is unpleasant, and can be dangerous, even without distractions in the back seat.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just any 3/4 or 1 ton isn't going to cut it as a whole host of them are rated less than allot of so called 1/2 tons. All three are capable of towing that rig if equipped properly..

Example:

Ram 2500 SLT, 5.7 -liter V8, Mega cab, short bed, 4WD 3.73:1 axle, A/T ,Tow Capacity 8,150
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
With that trailer weight PLUS five people and all their gear, you are in 3/4 ton territory.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That's 8k loaded and 1000 pound of tongue weight. Crew cab half ton pickups have 750-2200 pounds of payload which need to accommodate the weight of the people, cargo in the cab and bed, and the trailer tongue weight. Most are in the 1300-1500 pound range. If you trips are short, you could take two vehicles and put most people in the non towing one.

IMHO, you want a 3/4 ton SUV or 3/4+ ton passenger van to enjoy the time traveling as well as capacity for a reasonably sized TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

campin_in_the_r
Explorer
Explorer
We started looking at travel trailers about 5 years ago and realized that our SUV was not going to tow anything that was the size we wanted with the features we wanted. At that time we decided that we'd likely be OK with a 1/2 ton truck so we bought a Chevrolet 1500 Crew Cab (4 full-size doors--because we have 2 children in car seats) with a front bench seat.

Last year we finally found a trailer that we wanted and bought it because it fit our wants in a trailer and was also well within the capacities of our pickup.

After taking the setup out about 8 times I found that the truck did fine pulling the trailer, but we decided that we wanted something more. We stayed with the Chevrolet Crew Cab, but we went up to the 3500 1-ton (single rear wheel) diesel.

I am very pleased with our new tow vehicle, but our old one did fine too. The big difference is that with our old TV we could definitely tell that the trailer was on back because we would feel the movement and could hear the engine working harder. With our new TV we hardly notice that there's a trailer connected.

In the end, you may find a TV and a TT that is within the TV's limits, but sometimes it is nice to know that you have a TV where you aren't pushing it's limits at all.
2013 Forest River Cascade 22BH
2014 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SB 4X4

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
For that many people tow vehicle choices comes down to two candidates. Dodge ram mega cab 2500 or full sized van. The mega cab is the largest pickup cab in the industry. But I am not sure even with that you would be comfortable. So the full sized van may be your best option. If you go the van route, be sure to get a 3/4 or 1 ton van only. The half ton vans are really to light for towing duty.

Rattlepated
Explorer
Explorer
We were just in the same situation. We ended up buying low mileage a 2005 Ram 2500 with the diesel and a 29 foot regular hitch trailer. I've only put about 200 miles on with the trailer so far. But I'm glad I got the heavy duty truck. You have to be more patient when looking for the truck because there just aren't as many available. Good luck!

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
A used Ford E350 (or Chevy equivalent) van will get the job done with all adults and children riding comfortably. I can barely feel my 32 footer behind mine. It also makes a dandy family car that will carry a huge load of cargo when the seats are popped out.
Gary in Western NC

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
scbwr wrote:
you should have a 2/4 ton truck

That would be the same as a 1/2 ton truck. :B
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK...more than likely, 3/4 ton truck will work much better for trailers you will be considering. Before buying our Minnie last summer, we had a 29 foot Sunline trailer that weighed in around 8500 lbs. loaded. Although my Tundra can technically tow 10K, you could definitely feel the truck working to pull it in hilly terrain. With a Hensley hitch, it was very stable, but I'm not sure I woul have wanted to go over the Rockies with it!

With the crew that you will be traveling with, you will probably be attracted to trailers weighing closer to 10k...which, IMHO, means you should have a 2/4 ton truck with more payload capacity, as well as towing capacity.

Now, as an example of weights, my Minnie is 5k dry...but you have to remember that doesn't include options such as awnings, filled propane tanks, battery, etc. My unit, with gear aboard minus food, clothing and water in the tank weighs 6200 lbs. So, I'm on a 2 week trip right now, and I'm probably towing 6500 lbs. and my Tundra handles it beautifully!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Shorteelaw
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I don't want to have to spend a ton if I don't have to since the TT will be quite a bit too. It definitely has to seat 4 though (including two car seats).

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
If I were starting from scratch, a crew cab F-250 would be my TV of choice. I'm waiting for the day when I can grab one for a good used price. Also, a Chevy 1500HD seems to be a good option in the 1/2 ton market if the F-250 or 2500 Chevy isn't available.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trailer has a 6500# 'dry weight'.........probably 8000# PLUS GVWR

That is 150/1500 truck capable but pushing limits depending on truck trim.

Comfortable towing with 250/2500 truck with room to upgrade trailer later on.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
You'll at least want a half ton truck, spec out with the max towing package.

There will be people saying you need a 3/4 ton truck. You don't need one, but it will tow much more comfortably than a half ton. A proper spec half ton will tow that trailer well, it will probably be closer to 8K loaded. You'll want a high payload, 10K+ tow capacity truck.

Since its your first RV, I'd consider used units. So many people buy a new unit, use it twice, and decide to get rid of it .

I bought a new TT as my first TT, but I had been camping for as long as I can remember, and all my family had been upgrading to larger and larger RV's. I was the last with a tent. Since my family had between 10-15 different RV's over the last 5 years, I was able to decide what was and wasn't important to me. If you're a new camper, you'll never know what you want until you have some trips under your belt.

My advice is to go to an RV show. Even if it's a few hour drive away.... Do it. You'll really get an idea what's on the market, and what options you have out there.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.