cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big Three road tests

BlackSilver
Explorer
Explorer
Found this review on line, of the three heavy duty pickups.
Hans, Kร˜HB & Colleen, Kร˜CKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
Heartland Big Country camping trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie
78 REPLIES 78

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Who's sister is a hooker? Anyone have her phone number?
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
The 60' and 70's model fire trucks I drove for our East Texas volunteer fire dept in the mid-80's were the same way. They were all F-600 or F-700. Most had 370 gas engines and 4-spd tranny's with 2-spd axles. They'd get there, but not in a hurry.

Seemed silly to be running lights and siren with folk trying to pass us on the hills. ๐Ÿ™‚
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

blt2ski
john&bet wrote:
Boy, I am glad you guys that are in such a big hurry don't drive behind the '13 28k+ school bus that I drive daily. With only 250hp and a 2500 rev limit and a 5 speed Allison it takes over 1500' to get it up to 55 mph on flat ground.

Or the 1992 IHC dump truck I have, with a 175/335 NA 7.3 diesel with a 7 speed spicer. Helps that I have 4.33 gears, 32" tires, and a 10.08-1 first gear to get going at 26k lbs too! Altho I can get 30k lbs to move up a 30% grade, sloooooooooooowly that is!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I am glad you guys that are in such a big hurry don't drive behind the '13 28k+ school bus that I drive daily. With only 250hp and a 2500 rev limit and a 5 speed Allison it takes over 1500' to get it up to 55 mph on flat ground.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
Sports 45

I think we have solved the torque v hp wars. HP was great when we only had one steam engine. It didn't really mean any thing but it was good sales pitch for the steam engine salesmen.

But once there were two steam engine builders what was the point in comparing them to a horse. The comparison needed to be made to the other engine so why not just use power for the comparison.

Power relied on torque and rpm, not horses. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
buddyIam wrote:
Sports 45,

You made my point. You said it very well.

We should be concerned with power. Not horse power.

Horse power is an approximation.

It is based on torque and speed/distance. That is power that can be scientifically measured.

You don't need hp or power to have torque. But you must have torque to have power or hp.

Hp=rpmร—torque/5252. The formula says it all. If there is zero rpm. Torque can be 1 million and hp would still be zero.

If hp is any number greater than zero. Then neither torque nor rpm can be zero.

Torque and rpm are the determining factors. Not hp. Hp is not a measurement it is an approximation dreamed up to sell stream engines.

Now I understand. You want to live in your own little world where you compare power by looking at a torque curve and multiplying torque and rpm. That works. The rest of us just use the HP curve where the calculations have already been made. ๐Ÿ™‚

But I bet if you compare the power levels of two engines in your world you'll find the one that has 20% more power also has 20% more power in our world. Doesn't matter if you use horsepower (which you seem to dislike), elephant power, or kilowatts.
โ€™19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
anyone that buys a 1 ton crew cab, long bed,4X4 dually, REALLY isn't all that concerned about mpg...you know, like that would be a deal breaker:R

When I look at the three 1 ton diesels, they are now so similar that I will likely end up making my decision based on tow mirrors and mpg.

Actually pic the one that looks best towing your new MobileSuites!

Going to have to save a little more before that happens, but I do like them and this truck would easily tow one:)

NC keep the fifth you have and rving will be free from the taxes and money not spent. This is our thinking but we are old.

chevman

Larry, leaning REALLY hard that way. Our 5er is in excellent shape to be 8 yrs. old now. Put together very well, everything works and we love the floor plan...Have the Directv HD satellite along with a Splendide Washer/Dryer combo...wife and I been thinking we may just stay with what we've got, it's worked out fine for us for a while now. I recently upgraded the suspension, so ...bein 64, believe we'll stay with what we have...including the truck:).....

Jim

I am taking bets on this one!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
anyone that buys a 1 ton crew cab, long bed,4X4 dually, REALLY isn't all that concerned about mpg...you know, like that would be a deal breaker:R

When I look at the three 1 ton diesels, they are now so similar that I will likely end up making my decision based on tow mirrors and mpg.

Going to have to save a little more before that happens, but I do like them and this truck would easily tow one:)

NC keep the fifth you have and rving will be free from the taxes and money not spent. This is our thinking but we are old.

chevman

Larry, leaning REALLY hard that way. Our 5er is in excellent shape to be 8 yrs. old now. Put together very well, everything works and we love the floor plan...Have the Directv HD satellite along with a Splendide Washer/Dryer combo...wife and I been thinking we may just stay with what we've got, it's worked out fine for us for a while now. I recently upgraded the suspension, so ...bein 64, believe we'll stay with what we have...including the truck:).....

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
Sports 45,

You made my point. You said it very well.

We should be concerned with power. Not horse power.

Horse power is an approximation.

It is based on torque and speed/distance. That is power that can be scientifically measured.

You don't need hp or power to have torque. But you must have torque to have power or hp.

Hp=rpmร—torque/5252. The formula says it all. If there is zero rpm. Torque can be 1 million and hp would still be zero.

If hp is any number greater than zero. Then neither torque nor rpm can be zero.

Torque and rpm are the determining factors. Not hp. Hp is not a measurement it is an approximation dreamed up to sell stream engines.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Aw shucks...my truck came in 3rd...Does all I ask it to do so reckon I'll keep it:)

NC, your Cummins sucks! The magazine said so ๐Ÿ™‚

I know it, dogonit...but I'm not going to tell my truck or let it read the review (I didn't read it either, leafed through it and saw the Ram finished last behind the Chevy/GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mitsubishi pick up trucks...Believe it JUST beat out the old VW diesel pick up truck from years back..:)....good news on that one .

Yeah I'm going to keep the old beat up, ugly, underpowered loud diesel engine, and loud enough EB (per another review), to drive one bongers.

Yeah, I'll just avoid trying to see how fast I can take off from a dead start to see how fast I can do it, or race up the side of a mountain while towing my 5er...nope, I'll just take my time and hope I don't break down while towing or while commuting to work it to work.....

LOL, x2. I have no regrets in my choice of truck at all. I have full confidence that I have the most reliable powertrain for the long haul.

You gots dat right! LongHaul like the Hare and Turtle. We have theTurtle.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
NC Hauler wrote:

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jim,

Boils down to liking what you bought/own, IMHO, they fear hearing that
they don't own the biggest, baddest...

I don't care how much bigger, better, etc 'yours' is...unless you are
a buddy and we are just jawing out on the front porch...

I like what I bought/own. The Silverado in my sig was given to me by
dad after he retired (sold his specialty butcher & grocery shop) and
would NOT have bought it on my own...but I've modified it enough to
where it's much better (still a sentimental thing)

Always cruise these HP/Torque battles with both amazement and awe on
how something so simple can be convoluted and twisted so much.

On 'torque management'...a secret of mine when I blow off some of the
newer trucks...mine does NOT have a computer managing my throttle... :B

Plus have modified/tweaked mine to stay in power mode most all the time...

NC Hauler wrote:
Wow, the HP/TQ wars are still going on, but this time it seems to be all about "interpretation". And it all doesn't matter, it's a moot point on the OP's subject....Chevy/GM 1st, Ford 2nd. and Ram last....ALL the bantering back and forth over what is HP and what is TQ really doesn't matter to most, again, they drive and tow with it every day and KNOW what they have and how it performs for them....You get in your truck, turn the key, start it up and drive it. Only other thing that matters to me is how good the truck looks, inside and out and how comfortable it is...higher the mpg, the better, but anyone that buys a 1 ton crew cab, long bed,4X4 dually, REALLY isn't all that concerned about mpg...you know, like that would be a deal breaker:R

So if one likes how their truck performs, what others say about it, or when test show results that aren't "complimentary" of one's truck, who cares? Not very many are going to run out and trade trucks because of the results of some test....it is what it is. If all that was the case, I'd NEVER left the #1 Chevy/GMC winners..the D/A combo and went to RAM...heck, I like them both. (I'm a "for the underdog" kind of a guy:)).

just my .02, and probably not even worth half that much...:)
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...