cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BIG TT - thoughts please

campersmd
Explorer
Explorer
After reading ALL of your postings for the last six months, We bought a TV, a 2015 Chevy 2500 (6.0 gas) with max tow package. We bought this so we could tow ANY TT on the market (no 5th wheel in our future), then we we found the perfect TT this weekend. Turns out Grand Design started making TT's this winter and the Grand Design Reflection 313 is exactly what we wanted - but it weights 8600 EMPTY!!

I planned on getting the Hensley or Propride hitch, but the dealers have nothing positive to say about them - why all the animosity? We plan on doing alot of cross-country trips and a safe towing experience is the most important item on our list.

Thoughts?
ps. Please no Ford/Chevy/Dodge/Toyota...etc comments Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
19 REPLIES 19

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, the GM receiver is 2.5" square and I think comes with an adapter to 2". You may want to ask Hensley/PP if they sell 2.5" stingers.

So far I have done all the towing driving, but our trips have been under 5h. This year we have two long trips I am hoping my wife can help with. I plan to start having her drive from rest stop to rest stop as that should be easier to park.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

elidodge
Explorer
Explorer
I am close to your set up,2500 Ram pulling a 30 ft Sunnybrook at 9500lbs. I went to the pro pride and love it.You can call pro pride and talk to the owner,He will tell you what will work.I usded the dual cam for 9 years, I would never go back
Bobby

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
campersmd wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies. Went to the Baltimore RV show again and the only remaining question is- Do all of you share the driving with your significant other? We have always shared driving in the past, and as our 2500 is new, DW is wondering if she will be comfortable driving the truck and RV combo with such a big trailer.

I'm the DW and I helped DH tow, but not all the time. I help more with our current setup, a fifth wheel.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm towing a 35ft 9200lb loaded TT with my V10 excursion. I'm using a Reese DC and have no issues with sway. I have done many trips of 2000+ miles and have never had a moment where I thought I needed anything more than my current hitch. The HA is nice, but with a properly setup trailer it is not necessary.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
cruz-in wrote:
we tow a 9800 pound TT with a F250 and a Hensley Arrow...would not want to tow that big of a TT without either a hensley or Propride...

Same here, a TT this large really needs to be towed with a PP or HA. It was night and day from a well setup Reese DC.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

campersmd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. Went to the Baltimore RV show again and the only remaining question is- Do all of you share the driving with your significant other? We have always shared driving in the past, and as our 2500 is new, DW is wondering if she will be comfortable driving the truck and RV combo with such a big trailer.

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer in sig is approx. just under 10k fully loaded. Towing with 2012 ram 2500 w/ a equalizer 10k wdh I've had little problem towing.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Read this thread I started regarding heavy tongue weight on the HA and PP.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

APT
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a good match (make sure you have 4.10 axle ratio). Your receiver is good for 1500 pounds I think and should have about 3000 pounds of payload.

I don't know of any RV dealers that sell the Hensley/Propride which is probably why they don't favor them. They have so small larket share it isn't worth selling. Pullrite is the other premium WDH. Every owner loves each of those. You'll probably have to get it and install on your own.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
While I only have 200 miles on the setup, I went from a 5th wheel to a 37 foot TT. Towing with the Hensley, the experience is very 5th wheel like. In fact my wife likes the ride in the truck better with the hensley than the 5th wheel.

WE have an F250 CC 2WD and the payload capacity is only a little over 2300 pounds... if it was a 4WD, we would have had only around 1900 pounds payload capacity....evven with a TT, you need to be careful you do not overload your 3/4 ton truck...
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
My setup weighs about 12000lbs when loaded with the rzr in the back with about 1500lbs +- on the hitch with some margin depending on where gear is exactly at in the trailer.

I used to tow it with my Ram 3/4 ton and now I have a 1 ton. I would make sure the margin for payload is acceptable for you on your truck. I bet your 3/4 chevy will have at least 2500+ payload. This should give you at least 1000lbs available for extra gear and passengers in the truck. DO check though ... you don't want any surprises!

One thing to really pay attention to on these long heavy bumper pulls is the receiver on the truck. You will need a Class 5 receiver (2.5") shaft and it will need to support all of the tongue weight you put on it. I believe mine is rated at 1800 lbs. Most (if not all ) class 4 receivers are only rated up to 1000 or 1200lbs or so of tongue weight and the same for the class 4 WDH setups) You don't want to buy the wrong hitch for the wrong receiver!

Another thing to consider is the actual WDH. I looked at a Hensley once but I don't think they made a hitch that was rated for the weight I was pulling. I can't remember for sure what the deal was but I think it was maxed out at 1400lbs tongue weight) Something to research if you're going to be dropping some serious money on a hitch.

I ended up buying a Reese TITAN class 5 WDH which gave me the extra capability.

I'll tell ya - If I were to do it over again I would go with a 5th wheel especially if I knew I would be traveling across the country. I've towed both and there isn't really a substitute for having the weight of the hitch ride on top of the axle of the truck. It's more stable and you're overall length is less for the same size trailer.

Best of luck to you!
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
My 32BHDS weighs 9200lbs when loaded to camp, it is 35'6" long and I have towed up and down the East coast using a reese dual cam with no issues.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Those are both great hitches, so don't listen to the salesman.

With that said, I don't think you HAVE to have either of those hitches. I think a good hitch with integrated sway control would do fine with your truck.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 298RE Outback close to 10,000 lbs & 36'6" bumper to tongue. I use an Eaz-Lift with 1400 bars and 2 friction bars. Works fine, but I find it hard to believe neither hitch you are looking at wouldn't work. I have heard too many good reviews on them both on this forum and from people live and in person in the campgrounds. The salesman is full of something besides good advice.