cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bikes over Tonneau Cover

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Finally finished my bike carrier project. I have a Pace Edwards Jackrabbit tonneau with the explorer rails. I bought some parts used, but mostly new. In my opinion, this is one of the better ways of carrying your bikes when towing a TT with a pickup.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized
18 REPLIES 18

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Dan Kirk, I love that idea. How did you mount the mounts to the bedrail? I'm leary of drilling holes through the rail. What rack is that supposed to be for? I have the same truck and would like to do the same mount.

I bought two sets of Yakima Landing Pad #6 (universal mounts, meant for the top of camper shells), two sets of Yakima Control Towers, 4 Yakima lock cores, and two Yakima 78" cross bars that I cut down to length. For the bike racks, I bought three Swagman #64720 upright roof bike racks. I did have to drill two 1/4" holes through the top of the bed rails for each of the landing pads and mounted them with the supplied hardware. When not in use, the control towers, cross bars, and bike racks detach in one piece, leaving just the landing pads on the bed rails.
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Dan Kirk, I love that idea. How did you mount the mounts to the bedrail? I'm leary of drilling holes through the rail. What rack is that supposed to be for? I have the same truck and would like to do the same mount.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
I struggled with finding a way I was comfortable with to haul our 3 bikes. I use the bed of my truck as secure storage for camping supplies, so I couldn't just put them in the bed. I did not feel safe hanging them off of the back of the trailer. I decided on putting a rack over the bed, above my roll-top cover, as described in this thread. I installed Yakima landing pads on the bed rails, and then installed two cross-bars with three bike racks attached. It turned out pretty good, and the bikes are easily placed and removed, and are very secure without being in the way.

2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
I built something very similar for my truck. I actually saw one in person on a pace Edwards cover like yours and modelled it similar. I have a soft roll up between rails cover. I needed six inches of clearance under my bike rack rails to roll the cover. I welded up two bars of 1-1/2" square tubing to sit on the box rails. At each end they have a piece of square tubing going down into the stake pockets. Then about 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down the side rail I welded a cross rail. The cross rails are 1" square tubing and they go up 6" first then cross the bed. I then bought two rooftop style bike racks and bolted them to the cross rail. I will try and take pics tomorrow and then try and post them.

I may have figured pics put!
I had made my cross rails removable from the lengthwise ones, but never have removed them.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Nice work. I thought about doing something similar with my bakflip but ended up mounting my bikes on the dinette inside the camper.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The racks look very nice. 🙂
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
This is exactly what I'm looking for! I was thinking of a hard tonneau cover with a rack, or a bakflip with the yakima system, but I like this much better.

How easy is it to operate the cover with the bikes on there?
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tnx choochooman , Cutting them down seems like a good idea. I will look into that .
I have a travel trailer tongue bike rack and a rear ladder bike rack that have use on my TC. I was thinking of using one bike on each to distribute weight on my next trip. My bikes are lightweight, i'm hoping my lightweight TT ladder will hold up as my heavier duty TC ladder. 🙂

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
I built something similar to that. But I have the back rack bed rails and a under the bed side vinyl tonneau cover.

I do like the way the bikes are held in yours better. Mine the front tire is held between a set of up rights and I strap the back tires down.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry everyone. I had a VERY busy day. I will try and answer everyone's questions.

Chuck_thehammer wrote:
looks like its well made. strong,

what about install and removal of the bikes.. looks like a bit of time.

It took a bit of time to set it up. Once set up, each bike takes just a couple of minutes. Maybe I should have spent a few more bucks and got the higher end rack with the lever instead of the turn knob to tighten. But squeezing the uprights does make it go faster.

camperforlife wrote:
Looks nice and now you have me interested. Once the bikes are off the rack, how hard is it to get the cover opened and closed back? Does the rack have to come off and if so how hard is it to do so?

This is a retractable tonneau by Pace Edwards. It basically opens like a garage door. Downfall, you lose a little bit of usable bed space where box is where the tonneau rolls into. But, I love the clean install of the retractable.

SouthpawHD wrote:
How did you attach the bike rack to the truck?

Based on your pic, the cover is under the bed rails, giving you some clearance, but I can't tell for sure.

The Pace Edwards retractable tonneau has an options for explorer rails. Those rails have tracks for installation of bars or ladder racks. (Stock Photo off the 'net)

bobndot wrote:
I have the bakflip2 , I don't think I would be able to open it using that system.
I need to be able to get into the trucks bed constantly because I keep forgetting things and need to go back into the bed.
I will say, its a nice setup and a nice job installing it, do you have anything to offer that would help my brain ?

I looked into and liked the bakflip. But, what won me over on this was the explorer rails. Bakflip does make a ladder rack. Maybe with some some engineering, you can cut it down a bit so you can still open the cover. Just an idea, but something I may do on my next truck just to get 100% bed usage.

I would see if you could cut and drill new holes at a height that would allow to open.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I will say, its a nice setup and a nice job installing it, do you have anything to offer that would help my brain ?

X2

I'd suggest you clamp some rails on the cover to see what would work for you. I see the OP has a cover that is in two pieces. If you have the rails split between tires, it would be easy to hinge or remove the back piece.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I have the bakflip2 , I don't think I would be able to open it using that system.
I need to be able to get into the trucks bed constantly because I keep forgetting things and need to go back into the bed.
For the bakflip, might be able to open the first segment of the cover if the bikes are moved forward a bit?
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
How did you attach the bike rack to the truck?

Based on your pic, the cover is under the bed rails, giving you some clearance, but I can't tell for sure.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10