cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bleeding Propane from lg tank to small tanks??

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
We have about 200 gallons in a rental tank that they won't give us any credit for when we return it. I thought if I took off the reg off the big tank & with the proper hose & fittings that I would be able to fill up my smaller camper tanks, barbecue, etc.(As long as I of course open up the vent screw on the small tank till its full, & shut off the big tank).
I really don't see any problems really doing this, I had this tank by our trailer for a couple of yrs while we were looking after my aging Mother.
The tanks got about 6 months rental left & they won't give me any credit on this either, (kind of one way I think). I don't know maybe all propane companies do this? But I wouldn't think that when a tanks 1/2 full or so that they would just bleed it off into the atmosphere.

Anyway I thought I would check with someone in the know on this site before I "blow" myself up.???? Thanks!!
15 REPLIES 15

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Ebay for this ((LIQUID PROPANE TRANSFER KIT SYSTEM COUPLER TANK GRILL BBQ FILLER FILL UNLOADING))

Pull all the gas out with this. Then keep it for later, or resell it. I know before long we will be getting a kit like this. And put it on our 300 gallon tank or the 500 gallon tank. As our company uses propane. To run our Furnace on a machine. And will be filling up my 40 lb tanks out of it also. PLus next forklift will run off propane also. Paid $25 for a 40 lb bottle last week.
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
tony lee wrote:
I do it in the open air, well away from any houses or vehicles.

"Away from any houses or vehicles"

What is that white thing called?
The one right behind your propane bottles in your photo?

:W
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible, and safe to transfer liquid propane from one tank to another, but I doubt everyone is aware of the potential hazards.

Tipping a tank upside down introduces the possibility of it falling and breaking the valve or the hose and this will release liquid propane which flashes into large quantities or propane vapour which is heavier than air and can travel large distances horizontally and be ignited by a flame in for instance, a refrigerator.

The pressure inside a propane tank can get close to 300psi so any hose needs to be rated for liquid propane and be properly crimped on to the fittings rather than push on with hose clamps.

Opening the sniffer valve to vent the pressure does release propane into the atmosphere and that can be a huge hazard of there are low places nearby, no wind and ignition sources down low.

Need to shut off the tank valves in the right sequence to avoid disconnecting a hose filled with liquid propane.

I do it in South America when I can't find anywhere to fill the US bottles so have to buy local bottles which are too big to fit into the gas locker. I do it in the open air, well away from any houses or vehicles.

By cooling the bottom bottle with wet cloths and pouring hot water over the top bottle, it is possible to fill the bottom bottle without opening the sniffer valve
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

marly
Explorer
Explorer
Propane is heavier than air. It will settle into any nearby low area and be very hazardous. Just north of my home 4 men were burned to death by a propane pipeline leak they were repairing. THEY WERE PROFESSIONALS!!!!!!! It settled into a low area and when they drove into it, it exploded. I spent over 4 hours with law enforcement blocking sightseers from the disaster. One state trooper drove in later to see how things were going. He was appalled to see humans laying on the ground flaming!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
lincolnmatthews wrote:
Hey thanks! Actually I could tip the tank on its side (Its a vertical style) & prop it up. That may work? If it doesn't have the wet style valve I wonder how the propane co would recover it without tipping it upside down, maybe with a forklift. Who knows hardly worth the effort & back aches. ...............

Could be very hazardous to you and nearby property and end in disastrous results. Would not be worth the risk and possibly be very regrettable. Dealing with liquid propane or natural gas is a whole different matter, let alone things can slip, valves can break off, hose of wrong material can crack and break when used for liquid propane, etc. Even without a possible fire and/or explosion, the liquid propane can cause instant freeze burn to exposed skin and loose of eyesight if sprayed in the eyes. Not trying to be smart, but I hope this is enough to scare you away from the idea of tipping a tank of that size.

Did you ask your propane dealer about giving you credit and refunding the money for the remaining propane in the tank? My local dealer does this when retrieving a rental tank.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
You said the solution. Turn the tank over and propup the end as much as possible and hook the two tanks together and transfer the propane.
Fill all your friends bottles while you are at it. Any left, BURN it off with a cooker.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I would set up a burner and burn it all off before I would let them have it. Do you have another site you could move it to and use?
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thanks Specularius, of course I never thought that they would just keep the 1/2 or more that's in there & chg the next pigeon for a whole tank. They probably would, this is in its self dishonest as far I'm concerned. But I know that that's the way it works in the bus world.
I may try to contact the Serv comm of our state, but probably won't go anywhere. And yes the propane has been paid by me & a yrs lease pd in advance. (I should have checked about there policy yrs ago, however my Brother In Law had the tanks dropped off yrs ago)

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
They will not remove the propane, just deliver the tank to the next renter and charge them for a fill up. If you have paid for the propane in the tank, then it belongs to you. Contact the state public service commissioner for Utilities. They will instruct you on how to handle this.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

lincolnmatthews
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thanks! Actually I could tip the tank on its side (Its a vertical style) & prop it up. That may work? If it doesn't have the wet style valve I wonder how the propane co would recover it without tipping it upside down, maybe with a forklift. Who knows hardly worth the effort & back aches. I think there being jerks for not at least refunding part of the yearly rental. (I will just let it sit there till the end of the lease, so they can't rent again!) I know whining like a baby, its just the principal. They have had two tanks sitting here for over 10 yrs, between our trailer & my Sister's motorhome!

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Fuller_Johnson wrote:
You will need a Liquid tap on the large tank to get any amount of Propane in the small tank.

I fill one pound cylinder all the time from a 20 pounder but you have to turn the 20 pounder upside down so the liquid comes out.

Of Course you could turn the 200 gal tank upside down but Good Luck on that one 🙂

I too, do this.

But an important thing to note is to put the small canister in your freezer for 20-30 minutes prior to refilling using the 20 lb tank upside down & at ambient temperature.

Now that I've said it. Please don't hi-jack the OP's posting
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

BillS
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Unless a propane man comes on and corrects me, you won't be able to unless you have a way to pump the liquid propane from the tank into the portable cylinder. All you will get is vapor out the top of the tank.

Correct. If the large tank has a "wet" valve and hose that draws liquid propane from near the bottom of the large tank, the small tanks can be filled with liquid propane by slowly venting the vapor off the small tank. If no "wet" valve on the large tank, no liquid will be transferred, only vapor. Most residential type LP tanks draw only vapor from the top of the tank and are not equipped with a "wet" valve. Some farm tanks are equipped with a "wet" valve in order to fill LP gas fueled tractor fuel tanks.

When I returned a 250-gallon lease LP gas tank, our locally owned LP gas dealer gave me credit for the remaining fuel in the tank.:)

Bill
'03 Lance 1121
'03 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually

Fuller_Johnson
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will need a Liquid tap on the large tank to get any amount of Propane in the small tank.

I fill one pound cylinder all the time from a 20 pounder but you have to turn the 20 pounder upside down so the liquid comes out.

Of Course you could turn the 200 gal tank upside down but Good Luck on that one 🙂
Dodge 2500 CTD
Dodge 3500 CTD Sunlite Apache 865 2013 Polaris 850 touring 2022 Polaris RZR 900 Trail Lots of Old Mechanical "Stuff"

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Unless a propane man comes on and corrects me, you won't be able to unless you have a way to pump the liquid propane from the tank into the portable cylinder. All you will get is vapor out the top of the tank.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized