cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blocking up camper for the winter

scaleman
Explorer
Explorer
We are new at camping and have a travel trailer with tandem axles.
When I store the camper I would like to block the axles as to have the tires off the ground. What would be the best way to do this?
Thanks, Rookie camper.
16 REPLIES 16

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Doug33 wrote:
That's it - never saw the need to jack up the TT, and was always afraid to do it because of potential strain on the frame or other components. I'd also be hesistant to walk around inside the TT when jacked up, since it is designed to transfer weight loads to the axles and wheels. And I'm not sure what stresses I'd be putting on the slide out when jacking the frame.

+1

And if you have read my post from last year on jacking up a trailer with scissor jacks (my experiment) you would be shocked at just how far you can bend a frame with very little force applied. I would NOT ever jack up a travel trailer frame for anything short of necessary repairs, it just isn't worth the risk.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I had my last TT for 8 years and never jacked up during the winter, and never had any issues with the tires. I was going to change tires last year (due to potential age/dryrot) until I decided to buy a new TT anyway. I park the TT on a gravel pad, and then cover up the two tires on the one side that gets sunlight. That's it - never saw the need to jack up the TT, and was always afraid to do it because of potential strain on the frame or other components. I'd also be hesistant to walk around inside the TT when jacked up, since it is designed to transfer weight loads to the axles and wheels. And I'm not sure what stresses I'd be putting on the slide out when jacking the frame.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
In Europe, they use what are called locking winter wheels. They remove the tires and install those (which are essentially blocks which bolt onto the lug nuts), and call it done. This also provides a security benefit because there is no way the rig will be rolling away anytime soon.

The only time I've seen an antique car stored on blocks is because the vehicle was undrivable, and the tires were originals, so they had enough pressure to keep them round, and that was it.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
Park mine on a 5' run of 12"x12" patio pavers. raise the tongue up high enough to let the any run off from the roof rundown the back side. I crank it up a little higher for the winter, but when camping season hits, and I store it in between trips, I do the same thing, except I just raise it enough to unhook it and leave it at that.

Keep in mind all those TT's parked in your dealers lot for the winter. people seem to forget that these things are designed to be outside. Yes, there are things you can do to prolong the life of the unit , but the extremes that some go through is just crazy!!!
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
I use four scissor jacks (two on each side) fore and aft of the axles and slightly lift the pressure off my tires. I do this to stabilize the trailer more then anything else, same as setup at a campsite. We get very heavy winds here and it keeps the trailer from rocking too much. It also spreads more of the weight around a larger area (spring thaw usually results in some sinkage of the trailer otherwise) I also lower all the stab jacks and take a little weight with those.

I pretty much set-up the trailer like I was camping, except I don't level it ( I keep the nose up for water drainage off the back)

Your tires and springs are fine to leave without jacking. I only jack to stabilize and spread the load, but it really isn't needed anyway.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Raise the front with the jack and put something (RR ties) under the front of the frame on each side. Raise up a back corner with some kind of jack (bottle jack works) and put RR ties under that corner. Repeat for the other corner.
You don't have to get the tires off the ground UNLESS you take this opportunity to rotate the tires. You just have to get the load off the tires.
BTW we used to do this but got lazy in our advancing age and don't do it anymore. But we do try to keep up the pressure in the tires.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DRSMPS wrote:
I do this, despite a lot of criticism from others. In my opinion this has a lot of benefit. It takes pressure off the springs, keeps the rubber tires from touching the moist ground and keeps them from flat spotting. People will tell you not to jack up the TT because you might damage the frame, but as long as you do it at the right locations (spring mounts) you shouldn't have any trouble. Just avoid jacking it up by putting the jack directly under the axles or at the extreme ends of the TT frame. Basically jack it up the same as you would a car.

In the spring, you need to jack the tires off the ground anyhow to check your brakes, bearings and do regular maintenance so I don't really see it as being much more work.

I carefully jack my TT off the ground placing the jack under the spring supports. Once it is high enough, I use 4 X 12 ton axle stands and place them at either end of my axles sub-frame (the framing which is double-thick where the axles / springs bolt to). Next I adjust my tongue jack to level the trailer. If you are on soft ground, be sure to place some 3/4" thick plywood under each axle stand so it doesn't sink into the ground come spring.

I've been doing this for the last 27 years on various TT's that I've owned and never had an issue with the frame bowing. If you have your owner's manual, just read to understand where the proper jack points are on your TT.

Those are ALL "myths" and your yearly "exercise" is nothing more than a complete waste of your time and energy.

There is no benefit to taking weight off the springs, axles or tires when in storage it is NOT giving your trailer additional "life".

If the springs and axles can't take the weight year round then it is time to junk the trailer. They ARE in fact DESIGNED to be able to take the weight not only year round but the ENTIRE life of the trailer which if the rest is taken care of can be 40 or more years.

As far as the tires "flat spotting" that to is a MYTH, granted tires of yesteryear (Bias ply) would develop "flat spots" overnight it never hurts them and the mere act of driving a few miles the "flat spots" are gone.

Keeping the tires from ground moisture? Once again another myth, if the tires are not able to withstand a little ground moisture then perhaps we need to use bubble gum and silicone for tires?

Stop wasting your time and try a different approach...

Buy a few concrete sidewalk/patio pavers. Place them right where you park your trailer.

Set the trailer tires on the pavers, then place your wheel chocks under the tires.

Disconnect and call it good.

All told takes no time or effort after the pavers are set in place.

Do this one time and you will NEVER, EVER want to spend all that time jacking and blocking.

To the OP of this thread, there is no need to go to extremes like taking the weight off the axles and tires. NO harm will come to your tires, axles if you do not jack the weight off or heck even sit the wheels on bare ground.

Even though you can park on bare ground I would suggest that you at least make some sort of parking pad for your tires.

This can be simply a compacted gravel base, concrete patio/driveway pavers or treated outdoor lumber planks.

The ONLY reason to do this is to keep the tires from SINKING into the dirt. Basically you spread the weight on the tires over a bigger amount of area, this stops the tires from sinking...

Additionally my pavers give me a nice clean working area (also stable place for the jack)to jack up the axles in the spring to do routine axle maintenance.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would avoid putting a very expensive frame in danger to save some relatively low cost tires. Especially when sitting on the ground is rarely damaging.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

scaleman
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone for their input. Sure does make it easier to decide what to do. Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

EldIr
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco dealer told me NOT to jack by the axles OR spring mounts. Frame only. But yeah, it's totally not necessary and more risk/effort than it's worth.

I know a few guys who stored their cars for the winter on blocks. Ever see any of those really expensive, professionally maintained car collections (like Leno's)? How many are stored on blocks? None!
'01 Burb 2500 4x4 496/4.10 (3.73 effective w/ new tires)
'94 Jayco 300BH

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
put mine on concrete blocks and the jacks just to the ground then a 1/4 turn, they are on wood blocks. I park in a field behind my house.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
scaleman wrote:
We are new at camping and have a travel trailer with tandem axles.
When I store the camper I would like to block the axles as to have the tires off the ground. What would be the best way to do this?
Thanks, Rookie camper.

My owner's manual specifically states "lift wheel by placing jack under the camper frame, not the axle". You might want to check into what your manufacturer requires before you do any damage.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

DRSMPS
Explorer
Explorer
I do this, despite a lot of criticism from others. In my opinion this has a lot of benefit. It takes pressure off the springs, keeps the rubber tires from touching the moist ground and keeps them from flat spotting. People will tell you not to jack up the TT because you might damage the frame, but as long as you do it at the right locations (spring mounts) you shouldn't have any trouble. Just avoid jacking it up by putting the jack directly under the axles or at the extreme ends of the TT frame. Basically jack it up the same as you would a car.

In the spring, you need to jack the tires off the ground anyhow to check your brakes, bearings and do regular maintenance so I don't really see it as being much more work.

I carefully jack my TT off the ground placing the jack under the spring supports. Once it is high enough, I use 4 X 12 ton axle stands and place them at either end of my axles sub-frame (the framing which is double-thick where the axles / springs bolt to). Next I adjust my tongue jack to level the trailer. If you are on soft ground, be sure to place some 3/4" thick plywood under each axle stand so it doesn't sink into the ground come spring.

I've been doing this for the last 27 years on various TT's that I've owned and never had an issue with the frame bowing. If you have your owner's manual, just read to understand where the proper jack points are on your TT.

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I did that the first year I owned a 5th wheel. The following year and there after I left the tires on for another ten years. I retired and took the same trailer on a prolonged trip out west from New York. I had no trouble with the tires and never replaced them before finally trading in that unit.
If your still concerned, :h you can always move the tires about a foot once in a while when it's in storage to avoid cupping, but personally I'd leave it alone. There are thousands of RV's left in storage and I've never seen any of them with the tires off, so there really isn't any need to worry. You can cover them to avoid sun damage, especially in the southwestern states.
The biggest problem for tires comes from overloading the trailer beyond the tires (and rims) limits. :S
If you still feel it's necessary, you can buy four jack stands at the local auto parts or maybe even wallmart or online. Store the wheels flat on the ground and cover them. :C