cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brands of DEF

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 Chevy 3500 Duramax and have been using the Blue DEF by Peak just because that's what we have at our local WM and Sam's club. Been paying about $11-13 for 2.5 gal jugs. Just saw an ad for TerraCair DEF for reg $9.99/2.5 gal but it is on sale for $8.88. From looking online seems to be reputable, but had just never seen or heard of this brand. Has anyone used the TerraCair brand?
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT
13 REPLIES 13

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
DEF is not a requirement of the Federal Government. The emission standards the OEM's must meet is. It is still up to them to determine how to achieve that goal. It just so happens the DEF route is currently the most practical for them.
Some people will never acknowledge that, as they believe everything comes from the government......As far as I have been able to find, there are NO government regulations on the manufacture of DEF, just the end results at the tailpipe.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blackcell
Explorer
Explorer
I just piss in a jug and it's free 😉
67% deionized water / 33% chemically pure Urea.
DEF is DEF, brand doesn't matter but it does have a shelf life.

DEF Shelf Life versus Temperature
Constant Ambient Storage Temp Shelf Life In Months

<50 °F (10°C) ------------------ 36
<77 °F (25°C) ------------------ 18
<86 °F (30°C) ------------------ 12
<95 °F (35°C) ------------------ 6
<104°F (40°C) ------------------ 2
2009 Carriage Cameo 35SB3, 12.4K dry, 36' Fiver
2012 F350 6.7L 4x4 Lariat Ultimate FX4, Chrome package, Nav, SRW, CC, LB, 11.5K GVWR, 3.55 ELA, 20" wheels, Toyo AT II, Mor/ryde pin box, Husky 26K hitch
United States Navy Combat Veteran

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
DEF is not a requirement of the Federal Government. The emission standards the OEM's must meet is. It is still up to them to determine how to achieve that goal. It just so happens the DEF route is currently the most practical for them.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The Texan wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
No need to worry about brand. It all has to be made to ISO specs and is API certified. Buy whatever is cheapest.
Where did this info come from? Oil used in your truck does NOT have to be made to any specs, so why should DEF have that requirement?

Because DEF is a requirement of Federal law, unlike motor oil. That's why brand does not matter. You can thank the EPA for this fact.

For what it is worth, DEF is a precisely regulated solution of one of the cheapest chemicals in the world in distilled water. There is no need to worry that any mfg of DEF won't turn a healthy profit while getting $8 or more per gallon. It ought to cost about a buck.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
DEF is a purified Urea solution and I would only care about its age and how it was stored (away from heat and out of the sun). I get it at the truck stops straight from the pump where it is even cheaper than from the crooks at Wal-Mart and it is always "fresh".

DEF is one additive where GM does not specify a type or class or brand. If they do not care there is not reason for you to worry about it.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Blue DEF is most popular. That's what we have/use in bulk for our semis.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
More important than the brand is the date it was made (fresher is always better) and of course is API certified which most major brands are.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I have never read one complaint about any brand of DEF used in the 2 years I have owned a DEF equipped vehicle. $30/gal at a Mercedes dealer or $2.50/gal from a truck stop pump.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
All has to meet specs. I do not worry about what brand of gas I put in the car. Nor do I worry about the brand of DEF. I try to fill bulk at truckstops, and have NO IDEA what brand it is anyway.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
My 2011 GMC has had Terracair run through it most of its 70k mi

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
No need to worry about brand. It all has to be made to ISO specs and is API certified. Buy whatever is cheapest.
Where did this info come from? Oil used in your truck does NOT have to be made to any specs, so why should DEF have that requirement?

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
We use whatever comes out of the bulk tank at work. Don't know what brands the truck stops use but you can buy DEF from the pump for round $2.80 a gallon. SO the $8.88 is in line with that price. Your local truck stop may be able to tell you what brands they use.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.