cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a parking for the trailer and cover suggestions

contento
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. We're moving into a new house this weekend and there is no HOA (YEAH!!). That means we can park the trailer on the side of the house. Right now, the area is all grass. I'm definitely not leaving the grass (don't want to have to maintain it under and around the trailer). I also don't think I want to have a slab poured (not only the cost involved, but the permanency - if we get rid of the trailer, I don't want to have to chip up a 30' long slab). So, I'm thinking I'll take up the sod, use a ground clear vegetation killing spray, landscape fabric, then a few inches of gravel/pebble of some kind (something small and smooth). Anyone have any issues with that? Recommendations?

Also, I'll want to put a nice cover on it. I've seen some sold through camping world that seem nice (Looking at the ADCO Designer Tyvek). Any suggestions in this realm?

Thanks all!
23 REPLIES 23

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
If I were to be doing it slowly, I'd put some sort of tie back on the inside as it is far stronger than on the outside. Both wood members and mesh will work. Consider a grey/ black water drain system underneath if your soil type is compatible. Fine gravel will pack and firm up very fast. We had to get it off the driveway cause of 3 drivers , soon to be4 and more vehicles and toys than it can handle.

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your yard looks to be a similar grade as ours, Paul. We have a little 12' dump trailer, so I think I'm going to frame it out and start filling it a little at a time. I just want to have a place to park it out of the driveway without it sinking in the mud over the winter.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

Paul_D_
Explorer
Explorer
We had to deal with an area that was out of level by quite a bit. Over 30 inches of fill required in the highest corner. We trucked in 22 tons of gravel and topped it off with crushed stone. All contained in a pressure treated bulkhead with external tiebacks. After the bulkhead was built and leveled the true height we were dealing with gave me an idea. We buried 2 Infiltrators http://www.infiltratorsystems.com/products-solutions/chambers in the deeper end so we can rinse out our tanks for a thorough cleaning upon returning home. We have yet to trench a full 30 amp and 20 amp power distribution center over to the pad. It is about 14 x 30 and leaves plenty of area on the sides to work on the RV .

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're going through the same thing now that our trailer repairs are getting close to being done. I'm leaning towards a stone base with maybe a carport type enclosure at some point. I may go with one on the tent type carports to get by cheaply for a while.

Earlier this summer I helped a friend put in a stone extension beside his driveway for his class C on is was pretty quick & cheap, put spreading a tri axle of stone isn't much fun.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Crush and Run is what it's called in my area. Basically a mixture of rock, rock dust, and water. Sets up nice and solid.

I did crush and run, and a 20x40 carport. The carport was one of the best investments I've made. Camper stays clean year round. Love it!
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
I used crusher fines for the base, layed in treated 2X10s for the tires to sit on, then a layer of decorative rock on top.

The carport is how I would go, I was considering a cover until I saw a video on how they go on, looks like a PITA.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We have essentially as Cave Run except that our lot slopes considerably, so had to built a retaining wall and fill, fill, fill, etc. The builders of our cover said it was built to withstand 250 mph winds....hope we don't have to find out. With the unplanned $ of the retaining walls, fill X a bunch, extras, liquid refreshments and cover, we were in for around $7000. I know that's a lot of $, but it's about 28 x 36 give or take. It protects my car, Rocky, the F-150 can fit about 3/4 in front of Rocky if severe weather is predicted, DH can put his smaller enclosed utility trailer for his RC airplanes....think that's all. There is not a day that goes by that one or the other of us doesn't comment on how glad we were that we just went ahead and spent the money - which makes DH cringe. We have planted some crepe myrtles that are almost large enough to give shade to the side that is exposed to the sun in the afternoon. Brain freeze....we should have had the rear closed to block the full-day sun. We are looking at solar screen which is supposed to help with this and still let air through. The cost is certainly less, so if it is as said, we can put it across the rear to block the large rear window and the decals. Strongly suggest that if you have no HOA to deal with and the budget will allow for it, you do some investigating. One of the higher costs on ours was the retaining walls and SO much fill. Well worth protecting your investment.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if weeds are a problem where you are? Around here, weeds are proliferous and will even eventually grow in just straight 3/4" crushed gravel (no "fines"). If weeds are an issue, I would suggest using filter cloth (the heavy duty kind) on top of the soil before placing gravel unless you use something like crushed limestone.

Maybe crushed recycled asphalt would work? They call it "RAP". Packs down nicely and can be removed.

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a metal carport for $1,600 and the installation was free... This carport is 20x26 and the sides are 9' high... This carport is for my TC and pontoon and I'm buying another one for my TT.

I do excavation work, so I used my own equipment and did the work myself... I had to pull out 6 pine trees, fill in with dirt/rocks and then I put down 20-tons of #57-gravel.

John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
I used a material we use in the construction industry referred to as (crushed limestone 411).
After I did the excavation in my yard, I used this material and it gets hard as a rock, and has a great looking limestone color to it!
Serves great for parking my TT on it.
Can purchase from basically any gravel pit, but this isn't the cheapest material out there. But works extremely well and looks good.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
The first couple of years I had just the tires on concrete slabs (about 2" thick). After ALL the grass died in the area, I made a pad using the road pack. Best thing I ever did. No permit required and can be removed if I ever sell the house. Good luck!

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of opinions here. We camp most of the year. Our best solution was a 18X28 metal canopy from Tri State for an installed price of 1,550. I went with black top as it is not permanant or taxable and works well for the uphill driveway. Lots of opinions here as we all live in different weather climates. Either way covering is the way to go. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

contento
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! Carport isn't an option for a bunch of reasons. I'll look into the "road pack".

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Gravels are all different and used for different purposes. And since different regions around the country have different names for similar grades, I would recommend that you call a local gravel pit (or excavation company) and find out the material used directly below AC pavement. That is the material that would work just fine for your application and it would need to be compacted.