cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bumper Cap

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Travel Trailer bumper (or sewer hose holder if you prefer) has a cap on the end that keeps falling off and getting lost. (So what else is new right.)

My old style cap has no tabs on the sides of it so it is just held in the bumper just by friction. (There is not much friction)

I thought about purchasing a style of cap with the tabs and drilling the bumper but, I see that there are other options.

One option is a cap with ribs on the side that looks like it would fit tighter.

The other option is a cap made by WirthCo that says after you put it in the bumper you press in the middle of the cap and somehow that locks it in place.

Will either of these other end caps work ? Should I just keep buying the original cheap cap that falls out once a year ? Or, should I just buy the one with tabs, drill the bumper, and get it the heck over with.

Thank You
33 REPLIES 33

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I just tap them each time I do a walk around. Have not lost any yet but I am sure I will. I have never or will never put my sewer hose in there anyway.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my caps in by drilling a hole thru bumper and cap and then I use old long allen wrenches. They are about 5 inches long and never fall out.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost three so far. I now have one like that pictured with the bungy cord, so far so good.

If I lose it, I am going to drill a small hole through the bumper and the cap and drop in a small nail.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Are you all kidding me??? You can buy a set of these for 6.99 on Amazon! Buy 2 or 3 sets! Why would you make some rig or drill holes or put dumb looking bungees on your bumper when these are so cheap!? And buy the ones with the little holes that keep bugs out....You squeeze the tab in the middle to take it out.. They fit very tight...Haven't lost one in 2 years with my TT...

Well excuse me (us). I guess we all should just have asked you first instead of contributing our ideas and experience. I apologize of my "dumb" suggestion.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Are you all kidding me??? You can buy a set of these for 6.99 on Amazon! Buy 2 or 3 sets! Why would you make some rig or drill holes or put dumb looking bungees on your bumper when these are so cheap!? And buy the ones with the little holes that keep bugs out....You squeeze the tab in the middle to take it out.. They fit very tight...Haven't lost one in 2 years with my TT...
Well good for you. :R

However maybe some people don't like the inconvenience of loosing their sewer hose along with their bumper caps.

Were you really replying to the post about not using caps? The push in caps don't seem to fit your rant.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
Well good for you. :R

However maybe some people don't like the inconvenience of loosing their sewer hose along with their bumper caps.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I took an old wire clothes hanger cut two pieces that would fit through the hole I drilled (top to bottom) with a long bit. Bent the wire pieces like an upside down J. Wire through the holes. No problem.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
many years ago when I bought my first TT the people at the TT place told me to drill holes at the top and at the bottom as close to in line as you can get, then cut a wire clothes hanger in two at the bottom and again after the bend and put it into the holes, it will keep the caps from getting lost.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I just left them off
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Original caps have/had hairpin clip and that is semi-okay. The clip gets spread over time and cap wiggles open but generally does not fly off. I have replaced them with the push-on types from CW called "no insect bumper caps", not sure if they will still make me as happy 12 years down the road as the pinned caps have but it was time for a change and to date and 6 months into the change, I am happy.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hummm,,, If I drill one hole in the top of the bumper and cap and put a big R clip over the end that might work too.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huh, :)the bolt all the way through idea is something I never though of.

I can grab a 1/4 inch bolt from the farm. We have a bunch of them that are that long or longer and we hardly ever use anything that small anymore.

Heck, except for cosmetic reasons I would not really even need the cap anymore. (I would probably keep it though) If the bolt was extra long I would not need a wing nut either. Just paint it black to match the bumper and go.

Thanks Everyone . Sounds like a good project for this weekend when it will be too cold and windy to go camping.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer

The problem with drilling a hole and inserting a screw, is the screw INSIDE the bumper can tear a hose up.

I used pop rivets to attach a spring clamp so there is no screw to catch on anything.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous trailer I just drilled the bumper and cap and put a long eye bolt through both. Used a wing nut on the bold...but lost the wing nut and just ended up with the bolt which never fell out. It held the cap in place perfectly.

Home Depot

Edit: Wow Colliehauler...we think alike - but you are faster...:)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro