cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying first TC, want the "perfect" used rig (cold weather)

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. After reading many posts, I want to take the plunge. I figure value drops significantly once you drive off the lot, so I'm looking to buy used, maybe 2-5 years?

I'm a skier, looking for something I can boondock in ski resort parking lots (also summers, but if it works in winter, summer is easy). Cold weather package, LOTS of solar (I like it REALLY warm inside, also need juice for lots of internet time), 1 or 2 slides so I can stretch out -- but prefer ability to use the TC with slides in! Probably wet bath near the door is handy.

For a long time I thought I had to avoid Lance: I thought Lance is for the average Joe who just walks to the dealer and buys the first thing. BUT it looks like Lance actually puts resources into advancing the technology of their TCs. Can the other companies keep up?

That's to say, I salvated over things like Arctic Fox for a while but thinking maybe a Lance 992 is a good choice. I like the massive size of its water tanks (compared to 995, whose design I like better but tanks are significantly smaller). Longer I can boondock the better and I'm a bit of a water user.

Nervous about insurance costs, but doing the research now. Will also be buying a truck to match.

I know there is no selling allowed here, but there so many places on the internet and craigslist is hard to search nation-wide. Are people here allowed to help others search for and find a really quality TC at a good price?
43 REPLIES 43

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
To clarify my earlier post:

The OP asked about the "perfect" cold weather rig. We have had three aluminum framed RV's: a Four Wheel Camper, an Alpenlite Camper, and a Dutch Star diesel pusher.

Yes, there are engineering trade offs between wood and aluminum frames. Personally, I was so convinced of the superiority of aluminum, that our first three RV's were aluminum. I never even considered wood.

I only bought our current wood framed camper because it came up on Craigslist and I got too good of a deal to pass up.

My PERSONAL experience and personal opinion, having owned both wood and aluminum , is that a wood makes for a superior cold weather rig. Yes, there are issues with wood. But, for cold weather, wood's better.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, please take a look at Northstar...no slide, no basement, wood no aluminum (condensation), double pane windows, fresh water tank is inside living space (no freezing worries), lots of insulation.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
check out the three Snowbirds listed on auto trader dot ca

2BLAZERS
Explorer
Explorer
rob990 wrote:
2BLAZERS wrote:
And don't be afraid of going brand new if you can get a decent deal on closeout years or you can just negotiate well.

We paid $26K for our 2011 camper brand new. Looking over craigslist looks like we could get over 22-23k for it. While a brand new 2017 one looks to be about $38K at the local dealer....msrp is about 55k.

Yes I like brand new, but we shop carefully and you should be able to get 30 percent off the MSRP. Did the same on our toyhauler.

If new ones were similar price when you bought yours, you negotiated down to almost 50 percent of MSRP. That's amazing. I'd sure buy new for that price. I'm a decent negotiator, but I can't imagine any sane dealer giving 50 percent off MSRP or roughly another 30 percent of their price on the lot.

Reality check? Are there better dealers for that? Better states?

Well the MSRP on these things have really climbed the last few years. The MSRP on the 2011 back then was around 38k if I remember correctly. But yes $26K was amazing. Lance's large side door model was our other final pick and we couldn't get the dealer to go below $35K on it.... (yes some option differences, but still crazy $$$ difference)
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 CC Dually Cummins,Aisin,Laramie,4*4,4.10,14K
2017 Stealth WA2916 Toyhauler
2011 Arctic Fox 1150 Drybath
2017 Polaris 1000 XP Sportsman
2009 Polaris RZR w/fun parts
2014 Polaris 850 HO Scrambler
1977 K5 Blazer 1ton'd
2005 Pace Enclosed Toybox

BillL1356
Explorer
Explorer
Check out a Northstar. No slides, no basement, well insulated and warm. Easy to use in the winter.

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Drydek mesh pad under our mattress to keep moisture from building up.
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you want to use the TC with slides in, I'd go without a slide. In that case, I'd go Northern Lite because they have a couple of more open floor plans.

As long as you have a generator and propane, you can keep topping your batteries off. It think it has more to do with how warm you keep it than the design of the TC. The major loss of heat is in the slides and windows. Obviously, you can keep the slides in on any TC although it may not give you a lot of room and you can make any TC better in the cold by using insulation like Reflectix.

I've used my TC in the Winter with the slides in at night to minimize amount the furnace runs. You'll find a lot of TCs with slides are fine if you close the slides while you are inside even if they are harder to get in without the slide open if you are large.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We are partial to our Northern-Lite, but it doesn't have any slides. Since it and the Bigfoot are essentially made like a cooler, they do pretty well in the winter.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
Citation 10 footer

Citation had an upgrade with 2" insulation and everything setup for cold conditions.
They called it the polar package.
You would be lucky to find one of those.

I would second that opinion and say they were made in a very similar manor to how Bigfoot 3000 series were made, which was probably the very best production cold weather camper.
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
rob990 wrote:
How warm is the temperature inside for all you people camping in the snow?

with my set up we were walking around inside the TC in Tee shirts with the furnace only cycling maybe once an hour. It was in the mid 60s inside 0* outside
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Bedlam
Our thermostat is set in the mid 50's when away or sleeping and high 60's to low 70's when awake inside. My DW doesn't carry the natural insulation I have built up.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

rob990
Explorer
Explorer
How warm is the temperature inside for all you people camping in the snow?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a 2008 Lance 1055. We snow camp. it is a non slide dry bath. Wet stuff hangs in the shower out of the way. on really cold trips 0 degrees we go with the fresh tank empty and carry water in 3.5 gllon jugs. I put a gallon of antifreeze in the black and grey tanks so we can use them in conjuction with the jugs of water. The rear door has reflectix covering the inside. The windows and vents and skylights have 1" thick closed cell foam covers to prevent heat loss. The bed has refletix under the mattress synthetic down topper, flannel sheets and a nice down comforter. We use a 20# propane tank every 3-4 days using it for heat, cooking and the fridge, i also have 200 watts of solar, a honda 2000 generator and two group 31 AGM batteries.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Citation 10 footer

Citation had an upgrade with 2" insulation and everything setup for cold conditions.
They called it the polar package.
You would be lucky to find one of those.