cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite Squatters

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you noticed people leaving their trailers in great campsites on BLM and USFS land during the week and then showing up on the weekends to camp?
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
121 REPLIES 121

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Freep wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I think heโ€™s saying that people following the rules are selfish.

You are quite wrong.

What word would you prefer? Iโ€™m ok with you saying whatever word works for you.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I wouldn't dump my junk in a spot to hold it but if it's allowed through some spirit of the law, so be it. I'll use it when I'm there and leave it to somebody else when I'm done rather than deprive others a campsite for selfish purposes.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:

I do the same thing but come hunting season,there are no places to go where others aren't..It's during hunting season they all reserve there spots by leaving there rigs there prior to actually being there...It's just the way things are here,nothing you can do about it.

I'm not surprised. Idaho is where we were when a 3 trailer group decided to camp right next to us and when they left they drained their black tank on the way out.
2014 Lance 992

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I think heโ€™s saying that people following the rules are selfish.

You are quite wrong.
2014 Lance 992

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seminoe Joe wrote:
Freep wrote:
Have any of you noticed people leaving their trailers in great campsites on BLM and USFS land during the week and then showing up on the weekends to camp?

I havenโ€™t noticed it where I go. But I tend to go way out into the boondocks where not many other people go on purpose. Plenty of space out there in the world. No need to go where others are.

I do the same thing but come hunting season,there are no places to go where others aren't..It's during hunting season they all reserve there spots by leaving there rigs there prior to actually being there...It's just the way things are here,nothing you can do about it.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Seminoe_Joe
Explorer II
Explorer II
Freep wrote:

I havenโ€™t noticed it where I go. But I tend to go way out into the boondocks where not many other people go on purpose. Plenty of space out there in the world. No need to go where others are.
โ€œItโ€™s all in the reflexes.โ€
2012 Lance 850
2023 Chevy 3500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t think OP is talking about people obviously breaking the laws like they were in Arizona. I think heโ€™s saying that people following the rules are selfish. Those are two completely different issues.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting and timely article on closing AZ dispersed areas in Prescott National Forest precisely because of squatters taking advantage and ruining it for us responsible people. That is why we can't have nice things...

https://www.campendium.com/camping/nfs-closures-arizona/?utm_source=Campendium&utm_campaign=d24b94571b-2020-08-26&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d42c2750af-d24b94571b-113534001
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Freep wrote:
Are you trying to be insulting or is it just my interpretation?

Take a deep breath or two.

I think itโ€™s your interpretation just like I think itโ€™s your interpretation of how those other campers are supposed to act. Somehow, you think everyone has to agree with how you think those areas should be used.

Iโ€™d just go explore and find other places to camp if it bothers you that much. You might find that you like those other places better away from the crowds.

You're doing a lot of interpretation here. It's not that I think everyone should agree with me on how those lands are being used. People are misusing them and treating them as their own privately owned land. I was just wondering if this is a common thing.

I have seen a lot of bad behavior from others while boondocking in public lands from minor annoyances like this to people dumping their blackwater in campsites as they leave.

I'm not big on rules, but I do like to be fair when it comes to shared resources and expect others to be fair too.

This is the very reason and the very people that rules are created.

I could continue this thought and add in politics, government, and a whole host of other things relating to not following rules.....but I won't.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Freep wrote:

I think itโ€™s your interpretation just like I think itโ€™s your interpretation of how those other campers are supposed to act. Somehow, you think everyone has to agree with how you think those areas should be used.

Iโ€™d just go explore and find other places to camp if it bothers you that much. You might find that you like those other places better away from the crowds.

You're doing a lot of interpretation here. It's not that I think everyone should agree with me on how those lands are being used. People are misusing them and treating them as their own privately owned land. I was just wondering if this is a common thing.

I have seen a lot of bad behavior from others while boondocking in public lands from minor annoyances like this to people dumping their blackwater in campsites as they leave.

I'm not big on rules, but I do like to be fair when it comes to shared resources and expect others to be fair too.
2014 Lance 992

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Freep wrote:
Being rude is not against the law either, and yet most people have a problem with that.

If you think most people agree with you, feel free to get the rules changed.

My point was that not all civilized behavior toward each other necessarily requires rules. Rules are generally created when people start acting in ways that abuse the trust that was given.

Obviously BLM and FS dispersed camping rules don't mean you can use recreation lands that belong to all of us to store your stuff and hog the best spots that others could be using.

I feel your pain jimh425.

Somewhere along the road, some people lost, in their upbringing, the difference between 'right' and 'wrong', or treating others as you wish to be treated. Simple lessons, but too easily forgotten or never taught.

Leaving RVs at campsites on off days happens in the great North Woods of Maine, too. Have seen this action many times while camping in this beautiful state. During moose season hunting, it is almost impossible to find a spot that is unoccupied because many people set up their rigs many days before their scheduled hunts.

I just keep my mouth shut and move on to another less desirable location. Kindness within human nature appears to headed south.

Lakeside

specta
Explorer
Explorer
16 days is the limit here on FS and BLM land.

I don't like it but there sure are a lot of people who do.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Complaining about it to people on a forum isn't productive...

What are you going to DO about it? What CAN you do about it?

You can complain to the folks in charge. If they choose to ignore the issue, there's not much else you can do. Find another campsite.

I've never understood this human need to be in places where you're clearly not welcome/wanted.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Unless they are violating the time requirement, I donโ€™t see the issue.

Agreed. Happens all the time. We have left the camper on site for several days and gone off backpacking in the mountains.
Canโ€™t worry about everything.

RI - your situation is different. You are still there as a homebase. This thread is about going up and leaving your rig to reserve a dispersed site.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Freep wrote: