cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I dump in the curbside sewer?

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
My new house has a curbside sewer for storm water right by my drive way. This is a public sewer and not connected to my house. I'm guessing its illegal to dump my gray water in there? Any one know for sure?
138 REPLIES 138

Yardvarkers
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1,000 gallon septic tank and 300 ft. of leaching lines. Where does it go?? answer.... IN THE GROUND.
:B
"Any good that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
- William Penn

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's all keep one important thing in mind.

We're ALL drinking dinosaur pee.

Perspective is EVERYTHING. ๐Ÿ˜‰ LOL
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Huh?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Denis,I think "potable" means "drinkable,unpolluted"

So you would drink the water from washing your car or water run off from the lawn sprinklers? And Discharge from a potable water source would be your grey Tank as the water is potable that is going into the tank. Dennis you are correct!
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Denis,I think "potable" means "drinkable,unpolluted"
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Guess folks didn't bother to open links provided.......

Milwaukee storm drains end up in the lake......and it would be an 'illicit discharge'......meaning it is illegal.

The following non-storm water discharges or flows are not considered illicit discharges: water line flushing, landscape irrigation, diverted stream flows, uncontaminated groundwater infiltration, uncontaminated pumped groundwater, discharges from potable water sources, air conditioning condensation, irrigation water, lawn watering, individual residential car washing, flows from riparian habitats and wetlands, dechlorinated swimming pool water, street wash water and fire fighting. However, these discharges need to be included in the strategy when identified by the municipality as significant sources of pollutants to waters of the state.

One could argue their "discharge" was from a potable water source, which it is, and therefore not considered an illicit discharge....just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
Just Dump it on your yard problem solved. Every year you Snobby nose in the air people hire someone to dump hundreds of dollars of chemicals on your yard to make your grass nice and green So your little ankle bitter dog has a nice place to poo. Then you have your sprinkler system run 7 days a week washing all those chemical down the storm sewer. So Every one that has screamed NO DONT DO IT take a good long look at what you do everyday and dump down the storm sewer. I bet me dumping a little dish soap and shampoo from my shower isnt that big of a deal compared to what you DO! And Yes I dump My grey water at the State park here They state asks that you water the trees and bushes with it. And it helps avoid overflowing the septic system.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Some of the local COE parks have signs stating it is ok to dump gray water in the grass. You are required to use a 5/8 or smaller hose, cannot use your stinky slinky. People do it all the time. Some do smell soured, a small amount of bleach would fix that.

Not saying I agree or disagree just saying it is legal here.

It legal in several parks in California too.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer to your question is:
"I don't know."
You'll need to check with your city code enforcement officer. If you don't have one, check with the county code enforcement. They'll be glad to answer your question without insulting you.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
People from Canada are odd.

Bruce

Did I miss something????

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I would not do it, just a bad idea, even if legal. But, here in So Cal the water in the gutters that goes down that storm drain is black every year after the first good rain. The beaches are closed till it clears. That water is probably 10X worse than your grey water. But, don't do it.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on local ordinances and public services.

It is against local ordinances to dump anything in the storm water drains. See City of Fort Wayne website for all the details and phone numbers to tattle on your neighbors.

While my storm water drains are also the sewer lines in our neighborhood (80 year old neighborhood) and run to the treatment plant. The city is spending millions to upgrade and separate the storm drains from the sewer system. Whenever we get a big storm the treatment plant is overrun and they dump it all into the local rivers which upsets the Fed's.

You'd probably avoid many headaches, legal and otherwise, if you used the sewer cleanout instead of dumping it in the street drain. One of those water powered macerators would probably do the trick if the sewer line cleanout is not handy.

Reality has nothing to do with the law and local ordinances. Common sense is dead and some things are not worth being right.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Just find a farmer near by and let it go in his field, he would come out in the winter and do it to you land in Az. if no one was looking.
So big a world, so little time to see.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Dump on this thread.