cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can't get closer to 10 mpg.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
265.9 miles and 26.338 gallons. Filled to within 2 inches both times. Half flat half hilly temps from 84 climbing to 93. Pulling 11,600 with an old Dodge. Don't miss that old 7.4 a bit haha.
Puma 30RKSS
15 REPLIES 15

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good suggestion above for everbody. I had my shop foreman take care of that before I retired as I went up a tire size for the extra load capacity.
Puma 30RKSS

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Now that you have extra time, you might check the accuracy of your speedometer/odometer. I noticed on my last truck that it didn't quite match up with interstate mile markers. I don't know necessarily that they are perfect, but I would imagine they must be close. On my last truck, I would pick up a mile for about every 32 mile markers (33 miles). My current truck is very close to the mileage of the markers. Just maybe, it would make your mileage closer to ten, maybe not.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
I've had the truck for a couple of years, just thought it funny how close it was to exactly 10 mpg.
I just get amused by simple things now that I don't have to go to work anymore. Thanks for the kind comments from some of you. As to the rest I hope your day goes better.

Well that's good!

But, This little bit of info in your original post would've been helpful to some people.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:
265.9 miles and 26.338 gallons. Filled to within 2 inches both times. Half flat half hilly temps from 84 climbing to 93. Pulling 11,600 with an old Dodge. Don't miss that old 7.4 a bit haha.

Good fer' ya'.
I made a living with those old '70s/80s carb'd 454/460 DRW gaz guzzlers with a 4-6 mpg average on five of them. Hell mpg tops when empty was in the 12-13 range. Like you I don't miss them at all nor do I miss listening to a big block at 3400-3600 rpm beller and roar all day and nite long for hundreds on thousands of miles over a eleven year straight period.
Now my '03 Dodge Cummins nets around 12-12.5 on average when towing up to 11000 lb with little to non engine noise at a whoppin' 2200 rpm..... and in the low 20s when not towing.
Its a different era now and having been there I've seen a big change from the carb era to present new gen diesel...for work and play.
I like it !! :C
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had the truck for a couple of years, just thought it funny how close it was to exactly 10 mpg.
I just get amused by simple things now that I don't have to go to work anymore. Thanks for the kind comments from some of you. As to the rest I hope your day goes better.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
????????? :h
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Spoiling some babies and not spending a lot of money on fuel to get there, would be the point.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
agesilaus wrote:
Is there a point to this message?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your retirement! Enjoy those grand kids, and finally, try to get that thing dialed in right at 10MPG!! Your almost there! :B
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear and congrats on retirement..... Enjoy it! I got several years to go....lol
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Some people are just not happy unless they can try to make others unhappy. This world is full of em. Heck, this site is full of em.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:

Yes. Is there a point to yours?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! (some of us got up on the right side of the bed this morning) ๐Ÿ™‚

My gas 5.3 Suburban only gets a little over 16, that's with a few people inside and not pulling anything.

I think 10 MPG pulling that weight is great.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Yep he is happy with his new TOW VEHICLE
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind