cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you be to Picky?

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping for a truck there are a lot of personal preferences...some items fall into the need category others the nice to have category, So my question as subjective as it is, when do you settle? Or because of the prices of new trucks does it have to be "exactly" what you want? I'm not talking about it has everything you need but a few extras you don't, Im talking it has everything you need but say the interior/exterior color isn't your 1st choice or it has X transmission that will get the job done but you really wanted Y transmission. I've read to many threads on people buying X truck because it was on the lot and then later regret it and trading into what they should have bought in the first place. I always said I'd drive a pink truck if the price was right however I'm finding I'm getting really picky when it's my money and can't justify ordering exactly what I want because of the savings on what is on the lot....just food for thought no such thing as the perfect truck but for the money it better be something I can live with for a long time....and this wasn't meant to be a which one should I buy thread just wondering how many went thru the same thing when they were looking.

JJ
39 REPLIES 39

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I buy what works for me. Mainly just the basics and Sirius satellite radio is all I want and need.

The 2008 I bought was listed at $46,000 and I bought off the lot for $34,000. I am more price and deal conscience than new fangled technology add-ons that drive up the price.

My latest truck was $10,000 off list and life time oil changes and tire rotation for a nominal cost. The dealer even throws in a wash job and interior cleaning!

Bedlam
Bellow was my 2005 MSRP as ordered. With fleet discounts and current rebates, I got the the truck for just over $30k with taxes and license fees:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
I learned at an early age what would and has driven me in my vehicle purchases; everything is a compromise, thus buy what you want, but buy what you can afford. By compromising one or the other, one will end up spending more in the long run, or be disappointed.

All but one of my last 5 trucks (1 Chevy, 1 GMC, 3 Fords) have been ordered new, except for one that was sourced from another out of state dealership. All of my Ford vehicles, passenger and trucks, have been purchased from one dealership; Phil Long Ford, of Denver. I never dealt with a Car Sales person, but always walked in with a punch list to the Fleet Sales office. Seeking their input I put together a list “I needed” not what they wanted to sell me. With that, I faxed/email surrounding dealers my RFP (request for proposal). I always ended up with the best deal at Phil Long and purchased my last truck, an F550 with extended frame and gearing. With this purchase, I qualified for another $14,000 worth of rebates, before the RFP quote was factored in.

With any purchase, one must decide what they really need. For us Truck Campers, it is often a more of a specific use need. A truck needs to be purchased this way, or have the ability to be upgraded. Just like in a Mustang, they handle so much greater with race tires, suspension upgrades, all the seats, sound deadeners, radio and air-conditioning removed. But Ford would never sell enough of these vehicles to make it worth manufacturing. So they find a middle ground, that appeals to the majority of their target customer. Sort of the Goldilocks approach, not too stiff, not too soft, but just right. In following many threads here in this forum, you see many go through the “Goldilocks” of a truck purchase. While some go on and on about fuel mileage, they won’t be able to carry a load, like mine, with the gearing of my Mustang. With that, you won’t get the mileage either. Compromise.

What are YOU willing to compromise? Start with the TC you wish to carry and then find the truck and options that best compliment that combination. How do you wish to use the truck? Will it be a sole use for the TC? Will it be used in varied terrain? Will it be used in 1 season? 2 Seasons or 4? You will never find the perfect truck. While I consider my truck pretty darn near perfect for me. There is that thing about the fuel mileage, but I do like being able to climb up the % grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel, repetitively. But like the earlier poster, I would not want a Pink truck, either.

There will always be something bigger and better coming down the production line. Do you want to just sit alongside the side of the road, or be someone that wants to get going and go on down the road? It is not a matter of settling, it is a matter of when you want to get going and not waiting for the perfect truck or the next bigger or better truck. Like some of us that got married, we married “Up.” Do the same with your truck purchase.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've almost decided to never buy a vehicle again because I don't want to pay for all the junk they put into them now. By the time I add up the couple extras I actually want, I have increased the cost by about $10,000 for a bunch of stuff I will never use. I'm already cringing at the base cost of the vehicle - increasing it by that much is more than my cheap brain can accept.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buying new, I create a list of what I want. Usually, the trucks have a few more options due to the way dealers order. That usually means their are comparable trucks to compare prices.

That being said, I don't put many miles on vehicles any more, so I buy used. My last truck purchased had a few more options than I wanted but was also almost 40K off MSRP of mid 70s. Yes, it was 4 years old, but that's a lot of money.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Got lucky on my truck. It was on the lot, had exactly what I wanted, new models were out and with incentives it was 12k below sticker. That said I went to 10-12 dealers looking at rigs test driving the different brands. Ended up with Ford because it had the only crew cab that could fit me or any of my friends comfortably in the back seat with the front seats in a comfortable position for a guy my size. 125,000 miles later I still like the truck. My must haves is a short list: Diesel, 4x4, crew cab, long bed, heated leather seats, no sun roof.

next truck will add one item. dual rear wheels.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely think I'll order my next truck this winter. I also think I will go through Costco.

Bedlam
I also have been ordering homes, RVs and vehicles to built to what I want. I have enjoyed my picks and also enjoy the process (which probably helps).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
On my last truck, I did bunch of research on the net, including GM, Chev, Ford and Dodge sites.

Made a list of needs, wants, could have, don't wants. Then on this forum found GM employee who had suppliers discount available.

I went to Chev site and picked options I wanted and put together a complete price breakdown, including the supplier discount, best offer and set my price.

I wanted to 8.1 big block gas - so I told my DW I wanted the diesel, knowing she despised the smell of diesel (very sensative to smell).

Went down to my local dealer and he got on his computer and ordered one from the factory that COMPLETELY matched my specs and price, including out-the-door.

Main problem I had with the vehicle, DW always wanted to drive it. She LOVED the power, seating comfort - but I always seemed to be the one who drove, especially pulling the 9300-lb loaded 5ver.

Two yrs ago, I sold the truck and 5vr to our best friends - had to give up rving due to health issues. Since they're purchased, the rig had been to Calgary, 2nd trip out, and month ago it returned from Nova Scotia-4 month inlaw visit. No major issues. No china-bomb syndrom with the Maxxis.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last 2 trucks (2001 and 2007) I have ordered them the way I wanted them.

Pricing was no different/even lower than what I would have gotten off lot

Easiest buying experiences I have ever had.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31