cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon monoxide detector replacement

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
Like the rest of you, my camper, which I've owned for 10 years, has a carbon monoxide detector, which I had never replaced. I drove to the largest RV dealership in Maryland, which had only one model of CO detector in stock, and upon inspecting the package, saw that it had been manufactured in 2014. If a CO detector is supposed to be replaced every 5 years, purchasing one which is already 3 years old made no sense, so I did not buy it. When you replaced your CO detector, where did you purchase a 'fresh' one? Tom McCloud
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
24 REPLIES 24

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
The last one in my old / sold Lance went 10 years before it started tweeting.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one on ebay this past spring that was both CO and LP. Seller was a RV dealer and advertised the mfr date, I believe it was only 6 months out. Still in the original packaging.

Best part, it was half what they sell for at local RV dealers. $42 with shipping. I may have lucked up on the price but you can find a newer production on ebay.
Joe and Evelyn

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for a higher volume store such as Home Depot. It is 5 years from placed in service though.
Also get a new propane detector. I got the combo propane/CO in addition to the CO replacement.
Then there is the smoke detector....

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I wait until they're alarm indicates they are bad. No reason to do so before that.
ALL Co detectors give ample warning.
My new TT came with a standard Homedepot type detector.
The problem with that method is when they go bad they can also go off as a false alarm . It happens to me this summer at 3AM with a 10 year old detector that tested correctly . Needless to say it was a long night. The next day I had the camper checked by a near by fire station with their meter and found nothing wrong with camper.
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I wait until they're alarm indicates they are bad. No reason to do so before that.
ALL Co detectors give ample warning.
My new TT came with a standard Homedepot type detector.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
As a general rule the CO detectors available only set off the alarm at a relatively high level. Not enough to kill you or make you sleepy....but at a level that can cause injury to you....over a long enough time.

There are CO detectors out there you can buy that alarm at a MUCH LOWER level. They are in our RV and if you are interested, I can look at the manufacturer and model#. Battery powered.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few options, in no particular order...

http://www.adventurerv.net/

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

http://www.campingworld.com/
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Home Depot

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Online.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the Kidde detector with a ten year lithium ion battery to be a good choice. No more messing with batteries, and if you do detect a problem the unit displays a ppm so you know just how high the levels are.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work