cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cave Campers

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure if this has been raised here before but here is a company selling very basic and light truck Campers:

Cave Truck Campers
23 REPLIES 23

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Could you post a link to the kijiji ad? Thanks

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you really hate your money then these things look like a great idea.
What do you get for TEN GRAND?!!! An empty box?
If there's a market for this I need to get into the big empty box racket, er, uh, business.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Towpro wrote:
This could go in back of a 2500/3500 SRW and be setup for tools for tradesman type. My brother is a carpenter and looking at moving from a Van back to a pickup. Problem with pickup is you have to put a cap on it and everything just gets tossed in back of bed, no order, can't stand up inside it, etc.

...I also would refer you to the SpaceKap company for the trades, for a large truck camper sized clamshell unit for pick up trucks here-->

SpaceKap has been making these things for at least 20 years; these can also easily work as a truck camper (I think the above model is in the $5500 range).

On edit: these huge clam-shell truck camper-like units can be bought used in nearly mint condition for $2600 Canadian dollars (that's about what? $35 US dollars ?). I just spotted a used one selling on Kijiji.ca
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Now the question begs: Do these ACTUALLY EXIST?

Or, like so many others, is the camper pictured (i.e. the prototype) the only one in existence, and the whole website is someone's pipe dream?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
HI neighbor, how you enjoying this 14 deg weather and its still fall?

thanks for the link, I will email it to my Brother.

Too cold, too soon for me!

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
HI neighbor, how you enjoying this 14 deg weather and its still fall?

thanks for the link, I will email it to my Brother.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
they might be missing an whole opportunity here.

This could go in back of a 2500/3500 SRW and be setup for tools for tradesman type. My brother is a carpenter and looking at moving from a Van back to a pickup. Problem with pickup is you have to put a cap on it and everything just gets tossed in back of bed, no order, can't stand up inside it, etc.

This could be setup to fit the bill. they could even have an option of a table and bench in corner for portable office or place to eat lunch. Put a roof rack on it for ladder and you just opened up a whole new audience of possible customers.

Check out www.spacekap.com for a tradesman type slide in.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

I'd prefer a Four Wheel Camper popup shell instead. For the hardside, a Capri Camper like this one http://capricamper.com/models/retreat/ is similar with a bit more finish.

I priced out what I wanted in a 4 wheel camper (not a shell) and it ran to $23,000 or so. 🙂
incidentally I'd like to know what % folks have gotten knocked off them. since there is a 20 week backlog probably not too much???
bumpy

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
that heat pump, I see they make a bigger one also. I can tell you another application for that could be in a 30' size 5th wheel, in front basement, Tap into one of the heater floor ducts and use it to to cool the front bed room instead of a 2nd roof unit. If you have 30a service, run a separate cord for this unit and plug it into the 20A outlet on pole.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I like it- sure, a niche market, but what the heck. I agree it would make a great tradesman rig if they made a larger one, same construction.

FWIW- the heat pump they show is found here- it's a 2500 btu dog house unit.
-- Chris Bryant

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure I understand who wants one like that without a toilet or cabinets. Maybe someone who owns one will post. I could see potentially if they made tie downs to hold containers, etc for removable storage. However, I do have friends that built their own frames inside aluminum toppers for hunting. I don't know if that model would support weight inside off truck or not. Support by the tailgate is kind of cheesy.

I'd prefer a Four Wheel Camper popup shell instead. For the hardside, a Capri Camper like this one http://capricamper.com/models/retreat/ is similar with a bit more finish.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
they might be missing an whole opportunity here.

This could be setup to fit the bill. they could even have an option of a table and bench in corner for portable office or place to eat lunch. Put a roof rack on it for ladder and you just opened up a whole new audience of possible customers.
2022 Ford F150

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sort of misleading, the entire truck bed is not available for walking as it is between wheelwells at 47 inches.
bumpy

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The simplicity and the separate bed layout remind me of the old Mitchell Fishing Hut camper. The Fishing Hut in my opinion was one of the best Thoreauean TC's
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.