cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing V10 spark plugs...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's time... Time for our F250 to get some new spark plugs. Finding plugs locally was easy. However, I tried 8 different places and not one of them had a plug socket that would fit the long V10 plugs. What the heck do I do for a socket? There is one made by OTC that is available online but it's expensive (over $100) and hard to justify for what will likely be a one-time use.

Is it worthwhile finding a socket that will work? Needs to be captive so the plug won't get lost down the deep recess and a regular deep socket isn't going to work. What does anyone out there doing this themselves do?

It's a later '09 engine with the improved head design so shouldn't have to worry about getting a plug out without causing damage. Or is taking it to a shop or getting a mobile mechanic the way to go?
11 REPLIES 11

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
It's time... Time for our F250 to get some new spark plugs. Finding plugs locally was easy. However, I tried 8 different places and not one of them had a plug socket that would fit the long V10 plugs. What the heck do I do for a socket? There is one made by OTC that is available online but it's expensive (over $100) and hard to justify for what will likely be a one-time use.

Is it worthwhile finding a socket that will work? Needs to be captive so the plug won't get lost down the deep recess and a regular deep socket isn't going to work. What does anyone out there doing this themselves do?

It's a later '09 engine with the improved head design so shouldn't have to worry about getting a plug out without causing damage. Or is taking it to a shop or getting a mobile mechanic the way to go?

You don't "need" a special socket, BUT what you do want to do is TAPE the socket to the extension with electrical tape..

There IS a specific socket that HAS the needed extension built on, it is pricey at $25 that can be bought which eliminates the need to tape a regular socket/extension together..

Looks like this..

Found HERE (yes, that one IS listed as F150 5.4 but you CAN use it on 6.8 V10)..

One other thing I will point out, if you do not have a torque wrench, BUY ONE AND USE IT!!!!

#1 reason for popping plugs in the Ford Modular blocks is from failing to use a torque wrench to set the plugs.

You will need to find out the correct torque for your year..

I know 2006 5.4s the factory set them to 33 ft lbs but when changing the plugs they are to be set at 27 ft lbs.. This torque spec DID change over the years.

Failure to set the plugs at the required spec WILL result in the plugs working loose, this can cause random misfires, random misfire codes, excessive raw fuel in the exhaust (poisoning the cats and O2 sensors) and/or raw fuel smell in the cab when stopping at stop lights or backing up.. Not to mention the potential for popping a plug increases..

Hand tightening is not good enough.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Yep, no special socket needed on that year V-10. How many miles?

About 110K miles.

So I don't need to worry about getting the old plugs out or getting the new ones to thread in properly? Haven't had a close look at the engine and I've read too many horror stories on these plugs but maybe they all apply to the early version V10s?

Artum Snowbird wrote:
Get the right socket

less than ten bucks

Well that piqued my interest, but it does not seem to be the captive type according to the description. There's other similar ones too but they don't the little rubber thingy inside either.

Your lucky you have a 09 V-10, because the 06 to 07 and some early 08 V-10's have the spark plugs that can break in two while removing and takes special tools to remove broken plugs, I have a 07 and dred the day when I change my spark plugs.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I usually use Craftsman for everything, but just Googled 'Snap On spark plug socket' and noticed they have all kinds of unique sockets and also the rubber inserts. So you might look on their site. Not cheap of course.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at changing the plugs soon in our 2003 E450 V10. Went over the 100,000 mile change interval on our last trip.

I've read some posts that it's difficult to get access to all of the plugs to change them out. Has anyone here done a DIY on the plugs on an E450 chassis? Also what is the recommended torque for the plugs?
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:

About 110K miles.

So I don't need to worry about getting the old plugs out or getting the new ones to thread in properly? Haven't had a close look at the engine and I've read too many horror stories on these plugs but maybe they all apply to the early version V10s?

Artum Snowbird wrote:
Get the right socket

less than ten bucks

Well that piqued my interest, but it does not seem to be the captive type according to the description. There's other similar ones too but they don't the little rubber thingy inside either.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
I got one that's magnetic and attached to a 8-10" wobble extension. I think it came from Advance auto or Auto zone $12.
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu

Gray_Seal
Explorer
Explorer
15mm deep-well socket for some, others are 5/8 or 16mm.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue Horizon (The Dinosaur Burner)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I used a regular spark plug socket that I had in my tool box, maybe a $5.00 one, and it worked fine.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't have any special socket when I changed mine. Just a regular spark plug socket. I even dropped one, easily retrieved with a magnet. I don't know, mines an 02 V10, maybe the plugs are different now.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Get the right socket

less than ten bucks
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel