cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevy Silverado 2500HD ride question

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a used 2013 3/4ton (previous TV was a 1/2 ton yukon xl denali). This is my first 3/4 ton truck and I fully expected a stiffer ride with this set up vs that of a 1/2 ton truck however when not towing, Im notcing what seems to be a fair bit of rear end hop when driving through town etc. I always like the feedback here and figure there are lots of folks with far more experience than me so just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts or ideas (other than you should have bought a "-------".

Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I haven't done the shocks, but have lowered the tire pressure. Ride is not bad. Heads up on lowering air pressure, my TPMS alarms at about 50psi so I don't go lower than that usually.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Go drive a 90s-2000s 3/4 ton truck for a day. You will be begging to get back in your 13. Cheap and easy fix.
Even stock, yours is the best riding truck of that year, IMO.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I've got the blue and yellow 4600 on my truck and they work just fine. YMMV.

same here.

And as mentioned, no need to run 80psi in the back unloaded, 45-50 is good. going less and you starting getting more sidewall flex and less precise handling. High pressure helps handling and fuel mileage slightly.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Besides Bilstien shocks, lower your rear tire pressure to about 45 to 50 psi when not towing.

^This. Or even lower. 35-40psi is more than sufficient in an unloaded pickup (depending on tire size).

This X100 before spending money on anything else. Let us know your tire size and if it is gas or diesel. Running the air pressure that is printed on the door is for a loaded truck, airing down the tires makes a huge difference.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the same truck and although the bounce is less pronounced it is still there after changing shocks out. I do lower tire psi when not towing as well which helps a bit. The truck is designed to carry heavy loads and as such will have some bounce no matter what when not heavily loaded. Not a big deal for us since ours is just used for towing our rig and gets very little use between trips, has spent most of it's life just sitting in the garage.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from shocks (which I haven't done yet), I have lowered the tire pressure and then added about 350 pounds of weight in the back. Seems to have made a nice improvement for daily driving during the non-towing season.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
It is the crew cab with the standard bed

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd much rather have Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks. So much better ride than Bilstiens when truck is unloaded and easily as good as Bilstiens when max loaded. Had both on our various past trucks and the Rancho's gave and give a much better overall ride. Can't have soft dampening when unloaded and also the needed stiff dampening from the very same shock without having adjustability. No need to alter tire pressures with the Rancho's. Think about it!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing you got a short bed! I went from a 2013 short bed Chev to a long bed and what a night and day difference! Exactly the same truck (one ton diesel) but a world of difference in ride, both towing and not towing. You're only hope is better shocks but the ride won't be that much better. Iv'e tried Bilstiens with my short bed and it was a little better but I still had that bounce.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I've got the blue and yellow 4600 on my truck and they work just fine. YMMV.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
Would you guys suggest the 5100s? As far as I can tell the truck is factory height and not lifted

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Besides Bilstien shocks, lower your rear tire pressure to about 45 to 50 psi when not towing.

^This. Or even lower. 35-40psi is more than sufficient in an unloaded pickup (depending on tire size).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
The shocks are junk on GM trucks. They got the compression about right but the rebound is a mile off.

Get a new set of Bilsteins and call it a day. You have the best riding truck out there.

yup, on my 04.5 I swapped the stock units for bilsteins at about 4K miles. On the 2015.5 it was within 100 miles. they make a big difference. It's still a truck with stiff rear springs but the damping is much better.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

seekingsummits
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"