cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing my first trailer

fpmtngal
Explorer
Explorer
I'm completely new to the RV world and am trying to choose my first trailer. There's only me and my tow vehicle is a V6 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. So far I have decided that I want something that is no longer than 21 feet, anything longer won't fit in my yard and I think longer would mean greater maneuverability problems than I want to put up with.

My choices at the moment are the 2 smaller Lance trailers (1685 and 1575) and the R Pods. I'm definitely open for other ideas, my "must-haves" are a bathroom, room to stand up in, and perhaps a full time bed (this is negotiable somewhat). I'm not going to be full-timing it, but do want to take some long road trips after I retire next year and will have no boss to control my time. I would consider the smallest Airstream, though it's really out of my price range. I want a well built trailer that will provide the most years of jtravel without the headaches of correcting poor construction.

Should the distance from my home to the manufacturer's factory be something to consider, if all other things are equal? Im in SoCal so the Lance factory isn't all that far from me, I would think that it would be easier to get parts and warranty work done than if I were to buy an R Pod or some other trailer. Or would that matter at all?

What other trailers should I consider?
24 REPLIES 24

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Sure nice to have one motor for the slide and to not have to run the slide out for a bathroom break.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

fpmtngal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information, great to know about the slide and I'm now doubly happy that I got the wider 1685. Not only can I reach the bath, I'll be able to access the bed with the slide closed, too. And yes, I was also told by a salesman that it would be OK to just open the slide a short way to access the bathroom.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
fpmtngal wrote:
The inaccessible bath without opening the slide a bit was a big concern, too but not entirely a deal breaker.

Just so you know, when I looked at the Lance 1575 a month ago, the salesman told me to just open the slide a few inches to access the head. I remember reading (here on rv dot net, I believe) that opening the Schwintek slide just part way was a big no-no.

So, I emailed Schwintek, and after the exchange of many emails, I was told that the slide must go ALL THE WAY OUT, and then all the way back in in order to keep the motors aligned (I think that was the word). You cannot just put it out for a few inches in order to access your bathroom and then bring it back in.

Hence, for me, the deal breaker.

ON EDIT: here is a cut of two emails received from Schwintek service:

if you stop the slide prematurely the motors will unsynchronize and then you will have to reset them manually each time you stop.

The motors must run to full extension and allow the controller to stop them. If not, one side may operate while the other does not know what to do.

AND ANOTHER:

I pretty much explained that below. if you do not allow the room to fully extend to allow controller to stop it, you will experience difficulties and need to manually reset the control

That seems like a lot of work for a quick potty break...
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

fpmtngal
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the Lance 1685. The final deal-breaker was the 4 season package, I like traveling shoulder seasons. The inaccessible bath without opening the slide a bit was a big concern, too but not entirely a deal breaker.

Yesterday was a really useful day for me at the Pomona RV show. I was much more focused thanks to all of your input here and strictly looked at trailers that would more or less work for me. I also had a friend with me who notices fit and finish rather than livability, and that was a big help too. It's easy not to spot rough edges to drawers and cabinets or realize just how heavy a lift-up bed can be without hydraulic lifts.

I looked at the Freedom Express and loved it, too, excellent construction. If it had been a foot shorter I would have had a really hard time deciding, but I'm pushing the limits of my parking area with the 21' trailer. Of all the trailers I looked at, the Freedom Express and the Lance were the "class act" trailers, with the Jay Flight next.

I wanted to like the Winnebago drop (R Pod look-alike) but it seemed so dark and therefore cramped, even though it's not that much smaller than the smaller Lance.

I talked to one of the Lance reps and he said they had to make some compromises to keep the dry weight down on the 1575. The slide is the same size as the slide in their other trailers, but it is narrower. So no room for toilet access without extending the slide some. Also that's why it doesn't have the 4 seasons package. But it sure is a cute, functional trailer otherwise! I had a really tough time deciding between the 2.

So now I've got to wait 8-10 weeks (approx) while they make my trailer. It's probably a good thing because all my thoughts have been to buy a trailer that would work for me. Now I need to research/figure out all the little "how-to" stuff that either makes your trip a dream or a nightmare.

The dealership will do a complete walk-through (they said to be prepared for several hours) and will also give me a driving lesson. I feel entirely naive, for instance do I need a fire starter to light the oven? I downloaded the owners manual and will spend time reading it. And then there's all the ins and outs of campgrounds - membership or not? The more I lean the more I realize that I still don't know all the questions to ask.

So any tips or tricks on my trailer would be gratefully accepted. You've already been a big help so far.

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a new Lance 1575 a month ago. LOVED the inside - looked to be quality stuff, especially the windows...loved those windows.

However, the deal breaker for me was the fact that you could NOT access the bathroom with the slide in, even if you crawled around the dinette. Just can't be done. Like I said - deal breaker. Why they designed it that way, I just don't understand.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a TT with my Jeep Wrangler (rated for 3500lb towing capacity)
I got a Jay Flight SLX 185RB (2015)
It is 7 feet wide and less then 9.5 feet tall, so no much of wind resistance.

The SLX line was designed for small V6 vehicles

Mine is 20 feet long (bumper to bumper) and 2800lb empty (3200lb loaded)

We are a family of 4, so the 184BH floor plan really work for us.

Now...
You need to step in one to fully appreciate the floor plan, pictures of that model on the web do not do justice.

I didn't even consider this model while I was shopping as I was locked on Hybrids, stepped in one by chance/curiosity on the dealer lot and I was hooked!

A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

kmwaterboy
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at lil snoozy.Seen one in person last week, it was different but is very light.Just realized you are the west coast.
Maybe not an option.

fpmtngal
Explorer
Explorer
The JCG is a 2015 and they now come with an 8 speed tranny and paddle shifters, so I can keep it at a lower gear if need be. I've ruled out anything with canvas, if I felt comfortable camping alone as a solo female under canvas, I would just load up one of the 2 tents stored under the house, check all the camping gear, buy a new air mattress and leave. I realize that the extra security of a trailer is partly illusion, and partly an excuse to have a lot less set-up and more luxury.

Beds and baths aren't that big of an issue, I'm 5'1" which is why I would consider the Tab. I thought it would be fine for weekend trips but I had a hard time imagining myself living in it for a month or 2.

While I agree that the seating capacity at the dinette isn't a big deal for me, having extra room on the table is. Plus with some pillows the dinette can substitute for a sofa/lounge chair since I'm small. I like the extra feeling of space that the slide and the big window at the rear give you in the Lance. The Winnebago that looks just like the R Pods felt much darker and smaller, though if it really is like the R Pods, the dimensions aren't all that much smaller than the small Lance. I hadn't thought of that when I was looking at them, but now thinking about it, it made a difference in how I felt about the trailers when I first walked into them. Wonder if that will make a difference after I had the trailer for a while?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's Lance vs Rpod, Lance quality wins every time. I agree, also look at the fiberglass campers. Gulfstream Amerilite has a 14RBC that might work for you, too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
hbrady wrote:
We recently purchased a Coachmen Freedom Express and we love it. They make an ultra light version (192 RBS). Problem is the overall length is 22'.

We've owned a Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS for 3 seasons now and for us it's just about the right size for a couple's trailer. I tow with a 1/2 ton Avalanche though and I'm not sure I'd want to tow it with any vehicle with a V6. Two improvements to the 192RBS this year are the inclusion of a roof vent over the bed area and modifying the body profile of the trailer to allow a full 80" queen bed, both features we would very much have preferred to have ourselves. The shallow sofa slide, though only 18" deep, really does open up floor space in what is otherwise a fairly small trailer ... however, for just one adult I'd personally forego the slide and if it were just myself using the trailer I'd have chosen the simplicity of the non-slide Freedom Express 191RB which Coachmen unfortunately has dropped from the lineup, though there are sure to be some out there in the used market.

For just one person an alternative might be a Coachmen Apex Nano, particularly the Nano 187RB which seems to be just about an ideal size for just one adult - no slide, an easier to tow 7' 6" width, single axle, but has pretty well everything one adult could want in an easy to tow trailer that could be parked on pretty well any campsite.

Regarding smaller trailers like the Lance 1575 the OP seems to like so much - I just don't see the need for a large wrap around dinette that would seat 5 or 6 adults when only 1 or 2 are going to be using the trailer. JMO, but this sure seems like such a waste of space.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bigbird65 wrote:
... You can walk anywhere on the roof. We ordered ours to get a white one and got the factory installed rear ladder, a must have....

Why is the factory ladder a "must have"? I just use a step ladder when I clean the roof of my 21ft trailer, maybe once a year. Other than that I don't really see a need for an attached ladder.

As to the original poster... make sure the bed is actually large enough for you. I am 6'1", and the bunk beds in our 21ft TT are just a couple inches too short for my comfort - but when we lower our U-shaped dinette to make a bed, it is almost a queen size bed and is great.

Also, make sure the bathroom is comfortable!! I love my TT, but one thing I overlooked was how tight sitting on the toilet is for me. The next camper we get will have more room when sitting on the throne!

hbrady
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a Coachmen Freedom Express and we love it. They make an ultra light version (192 RBS). Problem is the overall length is 22'. IMO I'd steer clear of hybrids (pop out canvas bunks) unless you are a very sound sleeper, I just went out to walk the dog and could hear everything going on in my neighbor's hybrid. May as well be in a tent 😉 I wouldn't be able to sleep in a hybrid without good earplugs and I'd pitty any neighbors within earshot of my snoring.
2015 RAM 2500 HD Crew Cab w/ 5.7L Gas
2018 SportTrek 290vik
Blue Ox SwayPro

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at the StarCraft AR-ONE series a few choices that seem to fit your requirements.

Also StarCraft is made by Jayco and has a two year warranty.
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
What year is your Grand Cherokee? Different years had different engines... but I might be speaking out of turn in that regard. Since your has a V-6, maybe it's a 2011+, which means it has the 3.6L PentaStar V-6, which is a mini-powerhouse and has pretty decent HP numbers.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator