cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't take it anymore...

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Usually by now I've had "Big Dually" out for a couple weeks, shaking off the cobwebs, burning ridiculous quantities of gasoline, before the camping season starts in late May.

It's only ever seen salt roads once in its lifetime, long before I owned it... 12 years old now, 13 if you count the fact that the GM 2015's are out... 39,000 original miles. Hoping to hit 40,000 this season.

I just couldn't stand it anymore. Last Saturday Dad needed a tractor hauled. We were going to use his truck but I just couldn't bring myself to leave Big Dually sitting in the barn with such a lovely heavy load to move.

Fortunately it rained most of the night and the roads were clear and dry by noon. Got it safely back in the driveway before it started snowing Saturday night. Just in time because they salted the roads Sunday and it was wet and sloppy again.

Only problem, it got SNOW on it sitting in the driveway!!! It's never seen snow since I've owned it.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
16 REPLIES 16

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
HA! I have 45k on my 06 and its never been out in the snow/salt either. My friends think I'm crazy, glad I'm not the only one!
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
It will get over it.

Wayne

:B It may have been traumatized by Brad's truck and camper

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
Awww poor truck you need to get out there and give that poor truck a full detail on the underside...lol

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
My 99 Ram diesel loves the snow......it likes being a truck...140,000 and just breaking in and if it does not rust out it will go another 140

hehehe

Driftwood132
Explorer
Explorer
I did something like that, but my truck has seen snow,rain but it lives under my TC now and most weather is not on it now. I took it off the truck to use the truck to haul a trailer I bought so after I got it home it was supposed to rain and its snowing now. All is well. Under cover ,let it snow. Where is spring?

GMCPU53
Explorer
Explorer
How much snow do you have on it ? If it is a large amount, ( in excess of 6 " ) ,you might consider adding airbags to support the added weight, or sumos, or timbrens, or supersprings, or extra leafs etc. ( don't forget to check the shocks also !)

Glad I was able to help, if you need further assistance I would recommend doing a search for snow weight on a dually , lots of good answers available.

Joe
2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I think 2 or 3 coats of wax will make the truck a lot happier about being so abused.
Then I think you should take it for several extra camping trips this summer.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
tuna fisher wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
It will get over it.

Wayne
It will but will Mkirsh

Agree! It's quite a psychological blow seeing a loved one getting snowed on for the first time. :B
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
It will get over it.

Wayne
It will but will Mkirsh
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
39,000 original miles. Hoping to hit 40,000 this season.

I'm driving my '05 SRW to work lately to see if I can hit 26k miles on it.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My poor truck and camper almost never see the inside of a roof. 😞 Storage inside would be great though!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
My truck and camper don't see rain or snow either; though I didn't get them new. However, we are going to Big Basin Redwoods SP next week and 3 of the 3 days we have reserved are supposed to be rainy days.. 😞 Guess I get to test my new rubber roof!

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
None of my trucks have seen snow. The only salt they have seen is from the ocean air.
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You need a heated shop immediately! Good fun!
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel