cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cover for electric tongue jack?

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen a couple of mods that cover folks electric tongue jack With a plastic trash can or 5 gallon bucket. Should I be doing this? Mine has a plastic cover on the top of the jack like this here. I just bought it this winter and was wondering if this was something I should do.

Thanks...
-DH
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
34 REPLIES 34

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Living in the south we cover us because of sun damage. Plastic dries and cracks. We even cover our sky lights and AC when in storage for a couple months.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
facory wrote:
Be very careful when using a bag or cover that seals the jack inside.

This traps moisture and will get into the switches and light fixture. Electrical connections and switches do not like moisture and will deteriorate quickly. Best to leave it exposed so it can stay dry or dry out after a rain. These jacks are made to be exposed to the elements.

I have the cover sold by Ultra Fab that two previous posters provided links for and I have found that it does trap moisture. I am about too go back to my old bucket.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful when using a bag or cover that seals the jack inside.

This traps moisture and will get into the switches and light fixture. Electrical connections and switches do not like moisture and will deteriorate quickly. Best to leave it exposed so it can stay dry or dry out after a rain. These jacks are made to be exposed to the elements.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to something I copied.
jack cover

I like it because, while maybe the jack itself might be OK in the weather, it makes a great place to keep the umbilical end out of the weather, and a place to hang the safety cables.

And it will keep the jack and switches dry too. I figure it can't hurt!
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Believe both of ours came with the type of cover linked to CW. If not, rather than go buy the fabric and grommets, hook up the machine, I'd just pay the $10 and be done with it. We did find that the cord will loosen if you don't double-knot it. We never take ours off since you can easily use the switch without removing.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Spappy
Explorer
Explorer
When I saw the bucket I thought it was a good idea because I want to hide the switches from my daughter. lol She likes to turn the light on and such. I've never thought of covering it for weather reasons. I guess I expected it to be waterproof. Definitely getting me a bucket tho. ๐Ÿ™‚
Spap

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
memgrove wrote:
We use a walmart bag then cover that with the cheapest scary rubber Halloween mask we can find at the goodwill. But we are goofy like that. After the first few trips I don't even have to remove the cover to run the switch.

Greatest idea yet!!!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
DW sewed a bag to cover the head of my tongue jack. Works well and adds another layer of protection from the elements.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
We use a walmart bag then cover that with the cheapest scary rubber Halloween mask we can find at the goodwill. But we are goofy like that. After the first few trips I don't even have to remove the cover to run the switch.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The Atwood doesn't have any penetrations in the top or roof of the jack. So there is no need to cover it.

The side mounted jacks have openings or penetrations in their tops for the switches, and hand crank. They rely on seals to keep the water out. The seals have a nasty habit of failing, and letting water into the motor housing.

This is such an issue that Barker made a lot of friends here on the forum by GIVING out FREE jack covers to anyone who asked for one.
I am pretty sure that they are no longer free, but those jacks really do need to be covered.

So the short answer is that since you have a Atwood, you don't need to cover it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Same Jack on my TT for 3 years, never covered and no problems

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
For $10 on sale now at camping world, it works great.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/ultra-tongue-jack-cover/34822

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
I made a cover out of a small plastic trash can. I even put three hooks inside if it. Two are for safety chains and brake away cable and one for electrical plug. Works very well and cheap to make.
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 5 gallon bucket over mine. Keeps it out of the sun and rain. I also always have a bucket while I am camping!
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another option. Ties tight, covers the entire jack post, completely water proof, holds up, and will even keep your jack smelling good...

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro