Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covering and Cleaning

sac89
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Still new on here, please forgive my newbie questions, I am a first time TT'er, bought a new one last year. We are using it quite often this summer, but was wondering when not in use, and parked beside my home, should I put a cover or tarp over it? I am in the mid-atlantic area, the sun is bright and warm, but not what i would consider brutal.

Also, what kind of cleaning products/methods are recommended for exterior washing/waxing?
Thanks,
14 REPLIES 14

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Yes to an RV cover. No to a tarp. RV covers breath so moisture doesn't collected under the cover. A tarp will collect moisture on the under side.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
If it is windy where you are a cover may not be a good idea. In 30 years we have never covered a camper. (Past trying & loosing a couple covers to wind damage) We would have to buy a new cover 2-3 times a year. A metal carport cover is the next best way to go.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
eichacsj wrote:
IMO I strongly recommend covering and like downtheroad states use a cover meant for RV's. I will say they are a PITA so we only cover when it is going to set 2 or more months.

X2, and I have a LOVE-HATE relationship with trailer covers. I love how they keep the rig nice and clean, but HATE putting it on and taking it off!
Same here. We park our TT in the back yard under oak trees. And we take a lot of short weekend, sometimes even one-nighter, trips during the season. There is no way I'm going to mess with a cover every time.

What I really wish we could do is install one of those aluminum carport structures. However, where we have to park our TT is a short 4' or 5' from the property line. Our city ordinance will not allow one within the 10' setback limitation.

I do wash the roof 2 or 3 times per year, as well as the trailer 3 or 4 times per year. But our trailer is now 20 years old, and we bought it 18 years old. So we are not going to be as diligent as someone with a new trailer. We will never buy a new trailer parking where we do.

johncsmith427
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.
Sites I follow:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTQUJWAFkzsxNbFriAZnYAhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTQUJWAFkzsxNbFriAZnYA
http://www.rvcovers.com/

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
Here is a con regarding cover use that I haven't seen mentioned on a forum.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest or any other rainy climate, you are going to have a substantial amount of algae/mildew accumulate on the cover over the winter. (The plus is that it is on the cover, not your RV.) So in the Spring, you have the problem of cleaning and drying as much as 1000 sq. ft. of cover before putting it away. Many of us don't have the area to layout the cover for annual cleaning, etc.

I have cleaned it before taking it off the rig. Dried it as best as possible. No problems so far!

sac89
Explorer
Explorer
Great Info!! I am liking this website and forum!

Here is a con regarding cover use that I haven't seen mentioned on a forum.

If you live in the Pacific Northwest or any other rainy climate, you are going to have a substantial amount of algae/mildew accumulate on the cover over the winter. (The plus is that it is on the cover, not your RV.) So in the Spring, you have the problem of cleaning and drying as much as 1000 sq. ft. of cover before putting it away. Many of us don't have the area to layout the cover for annual cleaning, etc.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
eichacsj wrote:
IMO I strongly recommend covering and like downtheroad states use a cover meant for RV's. I will say they are a PITA so we only cover when it is going to set 2 or more months.

X2, and I have a LOVE-HATE relationship with trailer covers. I love how they keep the rig nice and clean, but HATE putting it on and taking it off!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Here's another newbie with questions. Can you cover the RV while you are living in it and does that help to reduce AC/heating costs as well as protect the roof? I know there may be an A/C unit on the roof. Do the RV covers allow that part to be exposed to vent its heat?

NO!

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Here's another newbie with questions. Can you cover the RV while you are living in it and does that help to reduce AC/heating costs as well as protect the roof? I know there may be an A/C unit on the roof. Do the RV covers allow that part to be exposed to vent its heat?
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `RV Cover' to read the pros and cons about covering. We cover.
Check out Beast Wash for cleaning and/or search this Forum for it also.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning...same stuff you use on you vehicles...

Covering...not a tarp. They don't "breathe" and can cause mold and other problems. If you are going to cover, get a dedicated RV type cover.(ADCO brand, etc.)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Never a bad idea to cover your rig if you can. Lots of folks can't and they do just fine. But if it's a choice that you can make I would cover it. As far as cleaning products, there are a million of them out there. You will need to try a lot of them and just pick out the one you like. Everyone will have a different one that they think is fantastic. As for me I like FWI for the tough stuff and a good carnuba wax for normal cleaning. Hope you have a grand time with your rig this year.