cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross winds

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
We drove out across Southern ID recently and there were thunder storms in the area. They can throw some 50-60 mph winds in the vicinity and we ran through some high winds.

Getting pushed around wasn't too much of a concern. The tippy feeling was. I doubt that it was enough to be a serious issue, but we are new at this.

I've seen semi trucks blown over out in the Dakotas.

What kind of wind does it take to tip a truck camper over on the freeway? Lots of variables, but our truck is 4wd and well off the ground, though not lifted.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"
17 REPLIES 17

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my F450. First week we had it, driving down hwy 1 in California and hit some fierce cross winds. Didn't hardly feel it. Complete change from our previous sail of a motorhome. I do try to avoid storms, but driving with a cross wind is much easier and less "thrilling" with my current rig.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
markchengr wrote:
Never take shelter from a storm below an overpass. It's the worst place you could be in high winds.

but it's a great refuge in a hail storm
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

markchengr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never take shelter from a storm below an overpass. It's the worst place you could be in high winds.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Driving west on I-90 a few years ago I saw ominous looking clouds north/northwest of us. I said to my wife/navigator, "Is that something we need to worry about?". She looks up, "Oh ****!" quickly grabs her phone and sees a severe weather warning for our vicinity. Straight line winds going north to south start pushing us a little. She looks at the radar and if we stay put, we're getting hit so we decide to go forward at 45 MPH. We drive forward for about ten minutes and her phone starts erupting "Cyclonic activity in your area! Take Shelter Now!"

As we crept forward we see an overpass, but it is filled and we can't stop there. I see another one and it's the same thing.

As we move forward I look in the side mirrors and the rear video feed and I see what appears to be a tornado, passing behind us about a mile or two.

I can only describe the experience as the most terrified I have ever been.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
covered wagon wrote:
If you have to keep going and know that you aren't going to stop, it would probably help if you filled the tanks for some bottom weight. Fill the F/W full but leave some room in the black and grey tanks for the travel.

I never travel with my Fresh water tank empty, I keep it topped off as much as I can. It would suck to get stuck somewhere and have no water
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to keep going and know that you aren't going to stop, it would probably help if you filled the tanks for some bottom weight. Fill the F/W full but leave some room in the black and grey tanks for the travel.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
I've been driving my dually with 6000lb camper in winds that would blow the boot I had between the 2, yet never felt any danger.
So it is definitely setup -unique and dually certainly has huge advantage.
I also have RWD, who is 3" lower than 4WD and that plays role as well.
Semi trailer are not only 12' tall all the way, but also sit higher, so COG of empty trailer is pretty high.

I agree with the dually advantage. Having a DRW hauling an AF1150 I have not had concerns with some pretty strong crosswinds.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
when I crossed Wyoming on 80 last November on I80 camper in the bed horse trailer in tow the message signs were reading wind gusts 50+ we just slowed down a bit and had no issues. The blowing spindrift and icy patches were worse than the winds.

^^^^ This

In the world of trucks, campers aren't really that heavy. But as a unit, they're really quite stable.

Think about it: travel trailers and typical semi-trailers blow over often in heavy winds, but they aren't actually heavy. People think tractor-trailer as being full, but more often than not, they're not, hauling LLT, and they are a huge sail. Vs a camper...squat and concentrated load. 15k in one spot. Not going to blow over. Probably why you don't see a bunch of pictures of camper rigs sitting sideways on the freeway. Relax, and slow down a touch if it makes you feel better. But you're not going to blow over.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
when I crossed Wyoming on 80 last November on I80 camper in the bed horse trailer in tow the message signs were reading wind gusts 50+ we just slowed down a bit and had no issues. The blowing spindrift and icy patches were worse than the winds.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
if it felt tippy, the cross winds were too strong to risk. Stay put!

I can't say it was tippy. I'm a rookie. It was definitely blowing. Next time I'll likely park it.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
if it felt tippy, the cross winds were too strong to risk. Stay put!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been driving my dually with 6000lb camper in winds that would blow the boot I had between the 2, yet never felt any danger.
So it is definitely setup -unique and dually certainly has huge advantage.
I also have RWD, who is 3" lower than 4WD and that plays role as well.
Semi trailer are not only 12' tall all the way, but also sit higher, so COG of empty trailer is pretty high.

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
Good to know so I can be more aware in the future. I was glad to have added the swaybar before we left.

I'd imagine some of the tip potential is getting pushed off course and the sharply correcting exacerbating the roll forces.
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
A Google search yielded the information that 30 to 40 mph winds will push trucks off course; possibly into the next lane. 60 mph winds will tip a truck over. I'm thinking that trucks are more stable than Truck Campers and I would start looking for an exit if the wind got to 30 mph CROSSWIND. Headwinds or tailwinds would not be as big a problem.
Just my $.03

Agree! When winds hit 30mph I start looking for a rest stop or any safe place to pull over and wait for the wind to lower. "you have everthing to gain and nothing to loose by pulling over"