cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decal free trailers - photos? - alternatives?

Tatonka
Explorer
Explorer
So our 2008 trailer's decals are all looking very, very rough, peeling, cracking and fading and I'm wondering if just going decal free wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not keen to have them replaced if the problem might return in a year or two. Life is too short for little issues like this.

So does anyone have pics or thread links for the clean, pure white look?

... Or maybe I should upgrade our trailer and give it a new brand name and new decal scheme. 🙂

... Or has anyone gone to a paint shop and for a reasonable sum 'upgraded' the appearance of their trailer?
K-Z Spree 318BHS, w/ V10 Ford Excursion tow vehicle
31 REPLIES 31

westend
Explorer
Explorer
carmelo wrote:
westend wrote:
DIY paint, sans decals:

WESTEND
Your TT looks GREAT.
First rate job Cap.
CCC

Thanks Cap! Yeah, it's not bad for a 42 y. old, lol. Woodglue, YOU definitely have the dignified thing going!

FWIW, the Hilton was shot with SW DTM Industrial primer, SW Latex Superpaint, and the accent stripes are Rustoleum rattle can. Application was done with a Graco airless and a fine tip.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my new "Plain Wrap" 2014 Lance 1685:

Kinda like:

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

DodgieDan
Explorer
Explorer
The paint shop idea or a graphics shop that does decals. One of my buddies has an 8 year old class A that was rear ended by a dump truck, after the local dealer and body shop got everything back together they left the back blank. He took it to a Graphics shop and they took one of their pictures of Old Faithful and blue it up and put it on the back (it is a decal). The Graphics shop guaranteed it would last 25 years.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Photoshop is your friend. Take a pic of your trailer, then google for a pic of the decal/graphic you are considering and paste it in a new layer on your pic.

You can then try other graphics, each in its own layer and quickly compare all the options.

IMHO it is a smart thing to visualize BEFORE breaking out the paint or other tools 😉

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think from a practical design view an all white MH would remain cooler in the summer when most folks use the trailer. I think if you painted the lower section where the baggage doors are an earth tone color it would hide the road way dirt and still look nice. The Mfg's could put the color right into the gelcoat which would be more durable than paint and resist scratches from brush and roadway debris.

carmelo
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
DIY paint, sans decals:

WESTEND
Your TT looks GREAT.
First rate job Cap.
CCC
CCC
Pat and Charles C. Culotta, Jr.
Patterson, La.
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS
EVERGREEN OWNERS GROUP

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah - not liking the plain white trailer. Although sometimes they overdo the graphics.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Decals are the first thing to go bad and when they do it really dates the TT. It would be better to order the TT bare then have the stripes and swirls painted on.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering....what is the reason for thinking about just plain white, no decals of any kind?? Thinking custom paint or decals - some sort of private company advertising?? Please don't tell me you'd put a huge orange "T" on it.

In most cases, I think the decals add a great look....unless they get just totally carried away. We don't have to worry about the over-abundance of swirls and twirls on a Class A, because that is never going to be in our budget. Don't think I'd want one if it were in the budget.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to go is full body paint with the stripes and whatever painted on. Not the cheapest way.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

Drum
Explorer
Explorer
I find this thread very interesting. My trailer has one color of decal that's fading and cracking, while the rest are like new. The problem one is a gold sparkle fade, but the solid colors are perfect. I was just talking to my wife about removing just the decals that look bad, which would only be a couple on each side plus the "Captiva" name on the front. There are still a couple of swooshes on front that are in new condition. I've been a little afraid of doing it, but thanks to this thread, I've about decided to take the heat gun to it today.
Gary in Western NC

Tatonka
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I don't think plain white is the way to go. However the swooping decals on mine make me think of the old tail fins and wood grain styling used on cars years ago. Another fad that will run its course.

Maybe a nice paint job is the way to go.
K-Z Spree 318BHS, w/ V10 Ford Excursion tow vehicle

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the FEMA look but it's a choice not your child. I'll probably get docked for that. Has anyone done the sign shop route and what does it cost?

searfoss
Explorer
Explorer
The rear decals of our Gulf Stream were pealing so bad DW and I took the time to remove them when we washed it. I offered Gulf Stream the opportunity to continue advertising their company on out TT and they responded by sending prices.

Sorry I am old fashioned, why would I pay to advertise for someone else to make a profit, so I declined.

I like the sign shop idea, I don;t like the blank white look, so if I have to spend money I would rather have something nice put on the back instead of a companies name.
Poconos Pennsylvania
2016 Kodiak 286 BHSL
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear

RIP Mike, we miss you so much