Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dehumidifier for TC

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
Hey

i used my TC last weekend and temperature was around -10°C / 14°F.

When i was waking up in the morning there was a lot of humidty on every Windows.

Id like to hear about a nice compact dehumidifier that works fine for small area like a TC.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like others have said, you need some ventilation. We use the window to the truck cracked open and the bathroom vent (has a Maxair cover) cracked open.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oh, I almost forgot. Quit breathing. That's probably 90% of your problem for sure.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
We 'snow' camp all winter long...I think 10-11 trips this season so far.

With that, the answer is, as has been stated, air flow. Doesn't really matter much where/how...but it has to have flow. We usually leave the kitchen window cracked and the bathroom vent opened up. A dehumidifier would just be another piece of junk stuffed in the camper to walk around and would need power all the time.

I'm a fan of the KISS doctrine..
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
I guess your LP has a lot more moisture in it, or furnace doesn't burn as efficient. We never have significant moisture.

A furnace does not add humidity to your camper as the exhaust is vented, and if it does then you have a bigger problem then the humidity.

You should get in the habit of changing the air especially when cooking. Open some windows and a vent when cooking (especially boiling water). Then shut the window till bed time and reopen, leave a vent open slightly all the time.

Also if you are showering or drying wet clothes you will create more moisture then you will be able to vent this time of the year.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I opened a vent but not a window, im going to try to crack up a window by my dinette next weekend.

Yep, that is about the same as not opening anything. The lower the window the better. Or you could even open one of the truck bed access doors if you have them.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
A small dehumidifier wouldn't be able to keep up with the humidity created by the lack of insulation, propane appliances, and occupants. A large dehumidifier would take up too much room and drain the batteries quickly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

hrose
Explorer
Explorer
I opened a vent but not a window, im going to try to crack up a window by my dinette next weekend.

I did check under my mattress and it was allright.

Its my 1st RV and im still in a learning process.

Thanks for the tips guys, i appreciate.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess your LP has a lot more moisture in it, or furnace doesn't burn as efficient. We never have significant moisture.

I also just double checked with the DW this weekend since she's the one who changes our sheets most times. We've had zero moisture under our mattress, ever. Do you guys with moisture under your mattresses have mattress pads on your mattresses? I'll note we also have reflectix under our mattress.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
There was a dehumidifier made for boat and RV use, no longer made. But you find them every so often on eBay. Search for "dh5 dehumidifier -hisense" on eBay, within a month or two one will likely come up. These are a small countertop real dehumidifier (not the cheap peltier devices you find now). It is arranged so that it will drain directly into the sink. They were made by Arrow, you will find them also in a SS cabinet (that was the marine version).

I wish that the RV suppliers would make a rooftop dehumidifier/vent to replace the AC unit. In a lot of climates, that would work very well and be capable of battery operation. 90 degree weather isn't very bad at all, if the humidity is <30%.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Itchey Feet wrote:
We always vent thru windows and or top hatch. We had moisture even under mattress prior to learning the venting thing. Do check under mattress if you have not done so.

Definitely check under your mattress for dampness (and mold). We ended up buying a product called hyper-vent and putting it under the mattress to be on the safe side. It is a type of plastic mesh that allows air to pass through it and eliminates hot mattress resting on cold roof platform over truck cab and creating condensation that is absorbed by the mattress.. Well worth the money in our opinion.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
We always vent thru windows and or top hatch. We had moisture even under mattress prior to learning the venting thing. Do check under mattress if you have not done so.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
I have the roof vent above the bed open about half way and will crack one of the lower sliding windows about 1/2". I have a Max Air cover over the vent so rain and snow don't come in.
In my tent camping days the door on the tent was open most nights in the winter.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for window and vent.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Were you opening a top vent and a lower window? This will create a very small undetectable draft and will pull the moisture out. They don't have to be cracked much, just about a 1/4" for a pass through window and 1/2 turn on the roof vent.

Also, if you plan on camping much in cold weather and don't have thermo pane windows, use 1/2" foam board in the wondows you don't care seeing through and 1/16" acrylic for the ones you do. Easy to cut and file for a snug fit. I just use blue painters tape to hold the acrylic in while the foam board is cut snug enough to stay in place.

With the foam, acrylic windows, and venting I don't have any problems down to about 0* with two people. If I notice some condensation trying to build up, I just open the window and/or vent a little more. When cooking I open up the window behind the stove and crank the roof vent another turn or two to remove the extra moisture, though the colder it is, the more I stay away from the high moisture cooking like boiling things.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)