cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delayed Trip Report: Big Bend

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
I am not much of a photographer, I did take a few this past November on a trip to BBNP. We had a great time. It is truly a unique place if you have never been there. I was looking at pictures on my Pad today and thought I would help anybody that is snowed in still and anxious to get out. If you ever go to BBNP in Texas, you have to keep in mind that it is remote. The remotest park in the lower 48. It is very hot or can be delightful in the Summer. Usually hot. It has 4x4 roads, hiking (desert and mountains), rafting and great camping. Load your refer up in Alpine on the way in. Food and gas are a little pricey, but not outrageous near and in the park. If you have time, take the River Road back to Presidio and then head north to Marfa. Don't miss Balmorhea, Davis Mountains and The McDonald Observatory if you have time. Believe me, I have been visiting the Big Bend for 30 years and there are things to see new every time. This was our biggest trip so far in our camper and really enjoyed touring the park with the possibility of lunch and a bathroom in every place we parked.

Til the next Big trip!!
Regards
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS
16 REPLIES 16

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Cottonwood Campground, in complete solitude.

It was around Thanksgiving in 2013 (I think) and we had traveled through Marfa, Texas. We were caught in a winter storm. We barely made it over the mountains to Presidio. Once there we traveled alongside the Rio Grande to Big Bend Park.

The storm had driven off most campers though there were a few in other sections of the park. We witnessed the Park in a way that was very different from our other trips. Frozen solid...

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
I am going there in the next few weeks. where did you stay?

We stayed three nights at Rio Grande Village which I thought was a real nice campground but it has no hookups. Stayed the last night at Study Butte which was alright but I liked the other one better. We would have loved to have been able to camp at Chisos Mountains which offers splendid views but it was full.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since discovering Big Bend a few years back we have stayed there several times and it has become our favorite park. The three campgrounds are each unique and have their own appeals. It is remote and one should plan supplies accordingly. While we have not off-roaded there but we have hiked and paddled extensively. Be sure to carry plenty of water when hiking. To us though, the great attraction is the paddling. There is nothing greater than class 1 but some of the canyon vistas are spectacular. It does take some creativity in terms of shuttling but we have not had any problems. A note about the border. Many are worried about drug smugglers etc, but as noted this area is REMOTE and pretty quiet. In perhaps 15-20 miles of paddling on the Rio Grande at various times we have seen zero issues. We have not had any cell phone connection (except climbing on the road out of cottonwood) but the store at rio grande village has free wifi. We have solar so power is not a problem, but be aware the campground at cottonwood does not allow gensets.

errante
Explorer III
Explorer III
double post, learning curve??

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:

Stayed 2 nights at Adventurer RV in Study Butte and then got a spot at Rio Grande Village in the park and stayed there 3 nights. Boondocked last night in one of the primitive drive in spots. The basin was booked solid the whole time. It was Thanksgiving week, hence the crowds, which still is not bad compared to other parks. You can definitely get alone in this place.
nomadictxn

54suds
Explorer
Explorer

Been there 4 times be sure to pick up a back country dirt road guide you wont be sorry if you do !

2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures... On our bucket list..

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
Love Big Bend!!! We were going to head there last fall, but all sorts of other stuff conspired to keep us away. New plan is to head there this coming fall for a few days in the Chisos Mountains. Incredible place. Thanks for posting the photos to inspire!!
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Namadictxn, what a wonderful park for you to visit and I agree it is a beautiful park to visit. Thanks for taking the time to put the narrative, photographs together and share them here. I'll look forward in seeing more about your travels.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
zulu52 wrote:
Nice pictures.
I have heard that the sharp rocks in the roads can be bad on tires. Did you have any problems? Flats?
Zulu

I went down one primitive road with camper. Turned around after about 4 miles. Not real fun. Wished I had my Subaru, There are some challenging roads and some go here just for that. I stayed on the paved stuff this time.
nomadictxn

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
JRJR wrote:
Beautiful place. Did you see any wildlife?

Not much this time. Have seen bear and mountain lion and javelina on previous trips.
nomadictxn

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures.
I have heard that the sharp rocks in the roads can be bad on tires. Did you have any problems? Flats?
Zulu

JRJR
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful place. Did you see any wildlife?