cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Determining trailer length from model #?

birdingnut
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to determine the length of a trailer by the model #? If so, how? We're starting to look for a new trailer and some listings don't show the length of the trailer.

Also, how can you tell if the length includes the hitch? Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
I figured the model number correlates to square footage. Our Durango 295 was smaller than our Durango 325, and the Durango Gold is 380, much bigger than our 325. Just an observation, for sure not fact for all RV's.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
Our model number is 28 and the unit is 32 foot long bumper to tongue but actual coach it self is 28 foot long

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Some manufactures have their model number to equal the square footage of the unit. Starcraft is one example of that.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Not really. Could be off by many inches. For example, a model # 26 might be anywhere from 25 to 30 ft. but its usually longer than the model #. When we are looking seriously we carry a tape and measure, leaving no doubt.
Jayco-noslide

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
My "31-foot" model is 38' overall.

I think the model creep is similar to what we see with modern cars. Take two units in the same "class" (trailer model length, or car class such as "compact"), a buyer will usually opt for the roomier feeling unit, wether it's the car or trailer. That's why modern Toyota Corolla is bigger than the 80s Toyota Crown!

I won't complain though... DMV doesn't question that my trailer is a 31', and since my state's registration is per foot, I'm not going to correct them;)
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only correlation I have seen is the bigger the number, the bigger the TT.

I would not even guarantee that is always true.

The model spec sheets will usually tell you.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
29FKCS and its 33 feet. and its a 2005. so not new.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 277 model but measures 34' 10" over all length. So no, model #'s very often are useless.:R
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2014 Keystone 3500RE is 38' 10" and kingpin is about one foot further. Not close to "35 ft" and one dealer said it was to mislead campgrounds with 35' max length restrictions. Good luck deciphering!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
They are nearly meaning less. You have to check the specs on the individual units brochure or on-line site to know the reality.
For instance; we were shopping for a particular, popular floor plan and found units that had the same model designation but ranged from 26 to 34 feet!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many many years ago model numbers were used to ID trailer lengths.....usually inside measurement.
Not so now a days..model numbers are just a hold over.

Each MFG uses a different yard stick...some list length and it is including tongue....some is just trailer w/o tongue

If length is a REAL issue then you will need to actually measure for yourself
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
No, it might be close but model number does not tell you the length. Take a tape measure if its critical.