cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I dodge a bullet?

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Kids slept in tt over Xmas. Winterized of course. Turned on water heater instead of lights by accident and I caught it today when I got the bedding. Removed access cover to check the element and the tank was hot, no water in it. Do I consider myself extremely lucky or do I change element anyway?
26 REPLIES 26

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
"wobbly pops" - now that's one I've never heard but I think I know what they are. 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks OB, will add that to my winterize list, also trip 110 breaker. Westend will check ohms on Sunday and report, not the greatest access on mine but doable.ChooChoo I saw the 110 switch on and hit it so fast that I dont know if the gas was on or not. Both switches are side by side. Funny thing is I had allready unplugged 110 so I didnt need to panic. Only funny now. I should have mentioned that the kids are 30 years old, and there were wobbly pops involved. Dave

mrgreetis
Explorer
Explorer
Since we rarely camp with hook ups, I just turned the breaker for the water heater off. That only takes care of the electric side, though.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
By the sounds of it, the propane side was turned on, and not the electric side?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You can also test the electric element without powering it and heating water. Disconnect the wires from the element (be sure to interrupt power by using circuit breaker) and check resistance through the element. I don't know, offhand, what a 120V element has for resistance value but infinite or none mean a bad element.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boxerslave wrote:
Hey Dutchmen No switch outside. Drained tank by pulling nylon plug, blew lines and reinstalled plug. Clear hoses at heater so when I found the tank was hot I could see air bubbles rising from tank so I assume some water in it but not a lot. Any way to stop it from lighting on propane if switched on accidently?

Pull the 2A fuse on circuit board ....in outside compartment

Your 2011 Atwood uses 12V DC to activate both electric and propane
Without fuse neither will operate
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
Boxerslave wrote:
Kids slept in tt over Xmas. Winterized of course. Turned on water heater instead of lights by accident and I caught it today when I got the bedding. Removed access cover to check the element and the tank was hot, no water in it. Do I consider myself extremely lucky or do I change element anyway?

If the tank was hot it proves the heating element is not burned out so yes, you dodged the bullet.

Bet the element burnt out within minutes of dry firing and tank was hot due to propane on also.....until t-stat shut it down

Electric elements NEED to be submerged in water to survive the high current flow
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:
Hey Dutchmen No switch outside. Drained tank by pulling nylon plug, blew lines and reinstalled plug. Clear hoses at heater so when I found the tank was hot I could see air bubbles rising from tank so I assume some water in it but not a lot. Any way to stop it from lighting on propane if switched on accidently?

It might take a little work, but it would be well worth it if you double switched the (electric) water heater. The easiest spot to tap into would be right at the switch on the wall. Cut one of the lines on the back of the switch and install a second on-off switch. Running the extra wire, and depending upon you want the second switch may be the challenge. You might be able to run a second switch closer to the water heater.

About the gas switch. My camper has only 1 switch for gas also, and it's on the same panel as everything else. I leave my propane tank on all the time, except when I absolutely know the camper is not going to get used for some time. (we usually sleep in it over the winter months ... quite a bit). But now that you mention it, it's kind of strange that this switch has never been flipped by accident that I know of (in 3 different TT's).

But here again, if it REALLY becomes a problem, you could also install a gas cut-off valve at or near the water heater too, so gas can be killed at the water heater and left available for the rest of the camper.

(I suppose my strategy comes from playing chess. I always try to protect each piece on the chess board at least 2 ways). :B

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
I put one of the gfci exterior covers over the electric switch in our old class c. I used a tiny zip tie to secure it closed. It was way too tempting for the kids to flip on.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I take a piece of painters tape, write the word NO! on it and put it over the switch so that it would need to be removed to turn the switch on. Sometimes DW doesn't read the labels when she turns on switches.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Americal. Had propane on so kids could use furnace. Dave

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Boxerslave wrote:

Close the valves on the propane tanks
Times fun when you're having flies!

Boxerslave
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Does your water heater have a rocker switch at the water heater? If so, start making sure it's flipped off too whenever you drain the water heater. And make sure the switch is off inside the camper too.

If the water heater was warm, are you sure you drained the water? It's possible there was still water in the tank and the heating element was still under water. I think you dodged the bullet, but you really won't know for sure until spring.

I put a secondary switch on my on-board water pump too. The switches for lights, slides, water heater, and water pump are all in the same spot. Over the last couple years I have found the water pump running when the fresh water tank was empty. I don't know how that happened, but it did (several times).

I ran a second automotive type toggle switch, so both switches have to be "on" for the pump to run now. When I drain the water tank I always flip the switch at that time. Now I flip them both. The second switch is NOT any near close to the factory installed switch. It's actually on the wall under our bed. Since I did this, the pump has never been left running with empty tanks again.