cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Tahoe

Chippendale
Explorer
Explorer
In years past, you could get Tahoes and Suburbans with diesel engines. Does anyone know, are they still available?
21 REPLIES 21

DuraBurbSUVs
Explorer
Explorer
As a side note for Chippendale

Yes we build Tahoes as well, keep your ear to the ground and in the near future you will see our 2009 Slammed 4X4 Tahoe

It will be sporting a 850+/1700+ power from a 2008 LMM Duramax on twin turbos, dual 20% over CP3's, 100 over injectors along with a LML crank Carrillo rods and coated LML pistons, driven through a built 4L85E and into the 11.5 already in the aka "DIRTY HOE"

here are some 1500 options
GMT800 Tahoe
GMT800 Escalade
GMT900 Denali
GMT900 Denali HD

DuraBurbSUVs
Explorer
Explorer
The Lift
Actually the 2" lift and subsequent reverse rake has nothing to do with the Allison, The Duramax is a tall block truck engine and is physically 2" taller then the gas 6.0L.

We raise the nose 2" to line up the fan to the fan shroud, this equates to 1.5" over the front tire which ironically is the exact forward rake GM puts into the SUV that we all hate and buy leveling kits to get rid of, So in the end you get a nice level look on our finished product.

Rear Diff Options
The 2007 SUV's came with a 9.5 semi floater, it is fine for towing within the factory limits of the bumper receiver (10K) and if your SUV is 2008 or newer it will come with the 10.5" full floater rear diff, if you don't intend to pull more than 12K there is no need to swap it out but if your going for the max (aka TowPro edition) then you receive the 11.5" P/U rear diff / braking system and ABS system.

NOTE> When you opt for a TowPro the SUV moves up to the Factory 2500HD P/U Stance, this is due to the fact that the rear diff has 1" taller spring perches as well as 1/2" larger axle tubes, we turn the torsion bars up to match

We also offer a 17K capacity ridged frame mount receiver for legal and safe higher load towing as seen here
17K Option

Brake Upgrades
Yes we do offer Upgrades, we use Wildwood's TC6R 6 piston calipers and slotted & Cross Drilled rotors pt#140-9406-D rear and pt#140-8996-D for the front

Sorry you were mislead on the whole brake thing, should this info change you're mind feel free to drop a call to DuraBurb Sales @ 407-257-9657

Eric Swanson
DuraBurb Service Dept

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Yeah, the original picture was not representative....a 2" leveling kit to raise the front is usually enough as intheburbs says.

Correct me if I am wrong. But if it is tunnel clearance would't this require a body lift and not suspension or leveling kit.

Yes. It's a body lift, not a suspension or torsion key lift.

The GMT800 Duraburbs were easy to spot. The tow hooks were no longer residing in the cutouts in the front fascia. They were under the fascia as a result of the necessary body lift to clear the Allison.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Yeah, the original picture was not representative....a 2" leveling kit to raise the front is usually enough as intheburbs says.

Correct me if I am wrong. But if it is tunnel clearance would't this require a body lift and not suspension or leveling kit.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
2" is the magic number to get an ally under a Burb.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Not True.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjTwCuKsx6o

My understanding is that you only need about two inches of lift to get the body to clear the Allison trans. If you look at my crude photo below, comparing the Duraburb to my Burb, you can clearly see that the body is sitting a few inches higher above the front wheel. Perhaps that's all they need to clear the transmission.

I researched DuraBurb thoroughly, and almost pulled the trigger. The dealbreaker for me was the loss of payload. At the time, they weren't offering the brake upgrade to increase payload.

You're right, may be a few inches difference. But the picture way above shows a huge lift.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
Not True.

My understanding is that you only need about two inches of lift to get the body to clear the Allison trans. If you look at my crude photo below, comparing the Duraburb to my Burb, you can clearly see that the body is sitting a few inches higher above the front wheel. Perhaps that's all they need to clear the transmission.

I researched DuraBurb thoroughly, and almost pulled the trigger. The dealbreaker for me was the loss of payload. At the time, they weren't offering the brake upgrade to increase payload.

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo wrote:
I watched the video and I don't think the salesman said a word about the Allison, or tow/haul for that matter. I wonder if they use a different trans. I know that sounds like a horrible idea, and it is for sure.

Down in the comments section, they do state that it does not have an exhaust brake.
I know they used a different transmission in the van with a detuned Duramax.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I watched the video and I don't think the salesman said a word about the Allison, or tow/haul for that matter. I wonder if they use a different trans. I know that sounds like a horrible idea, and it is for sure.

Down in the comments section, they do state that it does not have an exhaust brake.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
kaydeejay wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
At the time I bought my '02 Duramax, there was speculation that GM would add the Duramax/Allison as an option to the large SUV line. Apparently the reason they didn't do so was because the Allison was too large to fit under the bodies.
True statement - the transmission tunnel was too small.

The folks that do these conversions get around the clearance issues with a generous lift kit.

Not True.

Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
I got a friend who has a 1992 GMC Yukon (not XL) with a Diesel, from factory. He is still driving it daily.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
kaydeejay wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
At the time I bought my '02 Duramax, there was speculation that GM would add the Duramax/Allison as an option to the large SUV line. Apparently the reason they didn't do so was because the Allison was too large to fit under the bodies.
True statement - the transmission tunnel was too small.

The folks that do these conversions get around the clearance issues with a generous lift kit.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You are more likely to be able to find a diesel Ford Excursion.

I have seen a few Suburbans that people swapped a CTD into them as well.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010