cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel Tuner

Turlock_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I am in search of info or reviews on a tuner for my 2015 Ram 2500 6.7, I do not want a hot rod just more efficient when towing. I live in California and do have an extended warranty so with that in mind any information will be appreciated.

Thanks
Turlock Bill
20 REPLIES 20

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to realize pickup truck power levels are at an extremely absurd level now.
I run the hottest tuner available for my '99, but that's just to bring it up to where the newest trucks are stock.
Pushing it harder than that is when you start finding weak links. Those are always expensive.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't sure when they bumper up the torque in the ram so I looked. You're already at 865 ft lbs. If you bump it up from there to getter mileage you need to upgrade the head studs and trans. Leave it stock. If you want more then get a new 2016 or 2017 truck.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2011 HO with 3.42's towing 29K combined. No mods at all and it towed well on the West Coast even on the 6 percent grades. Mod if you want but the result may be trans or head gasket failure.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
My parents own a 11 model with the 6.7, don't know the tranny though. His friend is a diesel mechanic with Dodge here locally. Stepdad asked about a tuner and was told it's not recommend for the 6.7, I don't know why. But I can tell u I don't see a need for it, cause it's got all the power in the world that you would need. I think some have deleted the Dpf system and had a programmer change the computer settings to except the delete.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Edge programmer on my 7.3 Excursion. I bought a new 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 and wouldn't even think of putting a programmer on it. It has more power than I'd ever need and I'm getting 2-5 mpg better mileage with it. The new diesels have much more efficient fuel injection and I don't see how a programmer would help it any.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I would do some reading on a Cummins forum before tuning. I think the 68rfe is not really up to the task.

It works fine with a mild tune. Just don't go crazy on the hp.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
I wish my tuning guy did a Cummins tune. I would look into one that shut the EGR off. Yes, you will be producing more NOx, but overall, I think it is better for your engine and your pocket.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
I would do some reading on a Cummins forum before tuning. I think the 68rfe is not really up to the task.

It is able to handle more power but not "instantly". It's a learning trans and when turning up the power with a programmer and hitting it hard it can smoke the trans. The Aisin is not that type so a bit more power would not be a problem.

The biggie is WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT MORE POWER????? The newer rAM's are very fuel efficient right out of the box. This is not 1998 when it was easy to add power with no issues.

I have ZERO complaints on power or fuel economy towing a combined 33K. I get an HONEST 8.5-9 AVERAGE hand calc over many towing tanks in ALL conditions. My RV is 13'5" high, 8' 6" wide and 41' long.

The FACT is RAM can see that there has been "something" added and removed if you think they can be fooled.

Have at it but realize you need to be willing to say "I AM MY OWN WARRANTY STATION" !!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bd-diesel/throttle-sensitivity-booster.htm?popup=n&gclid=Cj0KEQiAs...
This might be a better option of you're looking for better drivability.

KBOnTheRoad
Explorer
Explorer
For older engines and out of warranty engines I can see the benefit of a good tuner.

I have a 2016 6.7L Cummins Dodge and cant imagine what good a tuner would do for it. It is such a competent fuel efficient engine as is that I think any benefit would be negligible.

Even if you might get a small up tick in performance or mileage the downside of the warranty issues I think makes it a highly questionable decision.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
In socal they will scan your computer, and they can tell if you had a programmer installed. Our truck is kept stock, works fine for our towing needs, even if I don't get an extra 3 mpg and magical shifts out of the tranny.

And I saved money.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Dodge Ram with the Smarty Programmer. The Programmer is really good. Using the lower programs can really wake up a Dodge Diesel. However, when you change the computer tune you are your own warranty station.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use Tow/Haul Mode..........
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31