cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

firebird
Explorer
Explorer
Jack wrote:
I have a 20gal tank and do 8mpg towing

I might shoot myself if I only had a 20gal tank. J/K

But serious isn't it annoying having to stop every 160 mi to get gas.

How does your truck do towing we have very similar trailers I think.
My truck is over kill for my trailer but back when I bought it the only used crewcabs out there were 1 tons. They had just started to put crew cabs on all the weight class but they were all too new and expensive.
Eric, wife Laura, kids - Katherine, Joseph
01 Jamboree 26F class c
13 JKUR
03 4x4 F350 SRW LB 6.0 diesel - sold
00 4x4 3500 LB DRW 454 GMC - sold
05 2505 nomad 5er by Skyline - sold
98 4x4 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5L Chev
94 11ft weekender camper by skyline - sold

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
firebird wrote:
...BTW who ever thought a 33 gal tank in a truck that only gets 6/7 mpg towing is big enough should be shot.

Don't need to become violent there firebird. :W

You should be happy with a 33gal tank. I have a 20gal tank and do 8mpg towing.

Jack.
2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.

firebird
Explorer
Explorer
believe it or not I read every last post on this topic. (its slow at work) And hear is my 2 cents.

A small block will get around the same mileage around town as a diesel and a few less mpg towing. Now if you plan on towing anything close to 10k or more than a sb will just not do especially if you plan to drive any grades. You can do it but slowwwwly.

now BB vs Diesel So if you plan on towing any thing over say 8k or so and you do not want to craw up the hills then you need a diesel or a v10 or chev 8.1 BB. This is where it gets fun because the gas guys say they have enough power to keep up with the diesels. I do not know. I do know that my 7.4 will not. Even if they can the mpg granted when towing is only 3 or 4 mpg difference but when empty there is a massive difference 11/12 to 18/19 that adds up quick when most of your driving is not towing. Oh ya gas gets worse mpg as it gets older diesel get better as it gets older!

For me my next truck will be a diesel even if I have to beg barrow and steal to find the extra 3k.

There is no right choice for everyone for me I want the power and the mpg the diesel does it so...

BTW who ever thought a 33 gal tank in a truck that only gets 6/7 mpg towing is big enough should be shot.
Eric, wife Laura, kids - Katherine, Joseph
01 Jamboree 26F class c
13 JKUR
03 4x4 F350 SRW LB 6.0 diesel - sold
00 4x4 3500 LB DRW 454 GMC - sold
05 2505 nomad 5er by Skyline - sold
98 4x4 3/4 Ton Suburban 6.5L Chev
94 11ft weekender camper by skyline - sold

agvalaska
Explorer
Explorer
I am a RV tech. for a motorhome rental co. in Anchorage. We have 87 Class C units, 20-29 foot, Ford chassis. My boss is considering upgrading to a more "fuel efficient" rig. I have been commanded to research diesel vs gas. Our renters often do not tow anything. They DO complain about the 10 MPG. We put roughly 13 k mls. on a unit in 5 months. We buy 5-12 new units per year and run them for abought 6 years ( we do have some 96's with 460's in them ) Any pointers.

Toy-hauler
Explorer
Explorer
I second Rich.
08 F-450 Red Lariat 08 KZ Inferno

richfaa
Explorer
Explorer
First of all do some homework on Diesels VS gas..Diesel is a far better motor in the long run BUT the diesel likes to be used, If you don't use it don't buy it.My criteria..Do you drive 20k miles a year or more, Will you keep the Truck for 5 years or more..do you tow heavy loads up steep grades on a regular basis..If yes the diesel will serve you well. The diesel is a high maint motor..if you do not take care of it..it will not take care of you.Buy a diesel for the RIGHT reasons.I drive a duramax diesel (bus) every day @ 110 miles a day..has over 185K on it and runs strong.
2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

Very interesting post... it took a while but Iโ€™ve read all of them. I love it.... I love it.
Gas vs diesel, GM vs Ford vs Dodge. Many diesel fans here, a few gas like TitanChief and Sack1. Everyone has their opinion so I canโ€™t resist adding my 2 cents.

I say if you need to tow over 6000lbs go with either the 8.1L or the 6.8L V10 gas or any diesel. All other V8 gas engines 6L and below can tow heavier loads but will struggle at one point or another even with a high gear diff. I like all brands for specific reasons.

I have a question and I want your opinion. Especially from Bert.
I want to buy a new truck. Like MaryB1976 asks on page 63, should I go big V8 or V10 gas or diesel considering:

- It is my primary commute vehicle for work doing about 60 miles a day or 20000 miles per year.
- I tow a 6000lbs 5th wheel (7500lbs loaded) on weekends for about 6 months a year.
My wife might consider a bigger rig later after I buy the truck.

Iโ€™m leaning towards gas since I never owned a diesel but we have all three diesel versions in the family.
My father has a โ€™91 Dodge Cummins still on the road with 285 000 miles (yes miles) but he thinks the tranny is tired now. That thing has somewhere around 195HP ! But the torque made it a terrific tow vehicle for him.
My father-in-law has a 2002 Ford PSD 7.3L and a 2004 Ford PSD 6.0L. He loves them. My brother has a 2003 Duramax and only had minor electronic problems.

My current truck is a 2002 F150 with the 5.4L. Iโ€™m 100% happy with it and itโ€™s performance but itโ€™s at the end of lease and I want to buy the next truck. It does 17mpg hwy empty. 8mpg with the 5th wheel.

From what I see the F350 dually equipped with the Tow Boss package is rated at almost 20000lbs towing. Holly !!! Thatโ€™s overkill for me and Iโ€™m not interested in a dually. 3/4 ton is good enough for me.

Iโ€™ve done some research. I can see that the PSD out tows the rest for the 2005 models.
The DMax has been updated with a 6 speed Allison tranny and has ~350hp and ~660lbs trq.
I think the fuss about the Allison was overrated since engineers compared it with the Torqshift and found the later better designed. The 5 gear ratio was closer therefore giving it a better / smoother shift. My brother confirmed that when he borrowed my F-I-L's PSD 6.0L to haul a 9000lbs trailer for a ~200 mile trip. His next truck will be a GM no matter what. He is brand loyal. I canโ€™t wait to test drive the new DMax.

Your help is appreciated.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Never Done the Colorado Rockies but the Canadian Rockies are a real test for any tow vehical and trailer. If you watch your temps and slow down if things start to get hot you should be ok. My biggest problem towing with a small block (chev 350,3.73)on big grades was tranny and engine temps climb while the engine screams and the rig slows. That was pulling ~6500lbs. Not fun. A tranny cooler is a must and synth oil and trans fluid a good plan.

LimogesMan
Explorer
Explorer
lakecitycamper wrote:
just bought 2005 f250 super duty 5.4 3.73 wanting to pull a 4000lb trailer to colorado two or three times a year anyone know if it will pull well through the mountains

No worries. There will be power to spare. I have the 2v 5.4L with a 3.55. My 5th wheel is 6000lbs empty and with 40Hp less than you.

Happy towing,
Jack

2002 Ford F150 FX4 Lariat 4X4 w/5.4L, Magnaflow, K&N, Superchips 1715
2004 Keystone Springdale 6000lbs

Bill__KE7FSV
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel in Utah, Salt Lake City area, varies from $3.159 to $3.399. Higher taxes in this State and Oil company greed.
2007 Tango 2660RKS FW, 2006 Chevy 3500 D/A with service body.

Brunton
Explorer
Explorer

Brunton
Explorer
Explorer

Toy-hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Paul, If I had to climb your hills up there I would have nothing short of a 500 cat. This summer we were going to Penticton (spelling) so we decided to go up I-5 to Vancouver and over holly sh@t up/down/up/down what seemed like forever. Beautiful country, but I-90 over then up is much flatter.
08 F-450 Red Lariat 08 KZ Inferno

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
If you tow over mountains only diesel makes sense. No loss of hp at altitude means you climb at the speed limit, lower rpms climbing mean a more comfortable trip and better mpgs...real advantages that cannot be ignored.

Graygruber
Explorer
Explorer
Having done both it seems to me to be a matter of choice and preference. Each has advantages/disadvantages. Rather than debate fuel costs and efficiencies, maybe look at long term use and wear?
The reason that larger trucks and buses have diesel engines is because they can run longer, hundreds of thousands of miles without a major overhaul but if you are not planning to drive hundreds of thousands of miles, then maybe not necessary? The reason larger Class A motorhomes are mostly diesel is GVW, pulling power, torque, etc. But there are different strokes for different folks and no one is absolutely right or wrong, just really what you need, what you want and what you like with all the reasons why and why not.
Happy Trails!
BIG BLUE
'05 Newell #729 4 slides DD 60 series 515 HP 6 spd Allison 4050
'13 F-150 4x4 Crew, Eco Boost Toad
www.newellcoach.com www.newellgurus.com