cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

chili7
Explorer
Explorer
You'll hear a lot bad stuff about the 6.0L, but I love mine. Just make sure you have a warranty because nothing about diesels is cheap. Also, keep one thing in mind: There are thousands of happy Ford 6.0 owners and they never post anywhere. To get a flavor of the issues, head over to the Ford Truck Enthusiast website. There are Ford Techs, ranchers, haulers, racers, you name it. They have both a 7.3 forum and a 6.0 forum. Use the search function and you'll probably find answers to all your questions. No truck is trouble free.
2006 Prowler Regal 285RLS Extreme Edition 5th Wheel
2005 F350 XLT PSD CC SB 4x4 FX4 SRW TowCommand SG2

ffnw
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a diesel truck and want to hear the opinions of the masses between the Ford 7.3L and the 6L. Right now it will be for daily driving and light trailer towing with the thought of a travel or 5th wheel in a couple of years. Thansk for your honest feedback

me1magoo
Explorer
Explorer
My one word- TORQUE!
Mat
'05 Dodge 3500 SRW converted to DRW 4x4 QC LB SLT- CTD 325HP/610TQ w/ 6 speed manual- plus a little triple dog power...
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF33LF- 35' triple slides, dual a/c's, LOFT over the rear BR

HDB854
Explorer
Explorer
ONE WORD ; DIESEL!!!!
Dallas, Sherry & Audrey
Off to the campground we go

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
You recoup the extra cost when you trade or sell, no matter what is on the odometer. Why is this so hard to understand? Check the kelly book , used lots etc.. It's clear the premium paid for the diesel option is paid for buying used as well as new. A gas truck with similar trim/milage/condition is always substantially cheaper. Ignore fuel prices as a purchase condition. Thats like buying a truck based on the price of stocks. Buy the best tool for the job.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
sack1 wrote:
Blue,

I'm not sure I have to substantiate every word I put down here. If you don't agree with my assessment that most people will never see 3-400k on their clocks before they trade their truck then that's fine. But I think you know the answer to that anyway.

If you think it takes 300-400K to recoup the cost of buying a diesel, you are sadly mistaken. You are guessing at numbers, some of us have actually experienced the difference. My point is that you call into question someone else's statement, then make a generalization as if it proves your point. I just wonder why you continue to argue in such a fruitless way.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

sack1
Explorer
Explorer
Blue,

I'm not sure I have to substantiate every word I put down here. If you don't agree with my assessment that most people will never see 3-400k on their clocks before they trade their truck then that's fine. But I think you know the answer to that anyway.
'03 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, LT, Ext. cab, LB
8.1/Allison, 4.10
'03 32' 2955 Montana 5er
XM Radio/OnStar
Valley Hitch
Honda EU1000i
1984 VF700F Interceptor

smercc
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,
Thanks Paul for your help.:) I am going down to the GM/Chevy dealer today to look around.

Anyone else want to provide me some needed input on my 7/15/06 9:52 AM post? Thanks

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Since we're revisiting old points on the economics of a diesel I'll need to bring up the added trade in value of that motor that negates the extra purchase cost. If all you need is a half ton small v8 to tow your small trailer then of course a diesel truck or big block gas hd truck make no sense.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
sack,

Every time you get involved in this discussion, your argument includes one or more generalized statements that you use to try to slant the discussion in your favor.
Most people trade their trucks long before savings are realized or the extra longevity of the diesel engine even is an issue.
You have research, a link, etc... to back this up, of course. It's great that you can call into question another person's claims, but then make unsubstantiated ones of your own. :R
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

sack1
Explorer
Explorer
If that percentage is correct, which I'm not sure it is, there are still 46% of drivers in Europe driving a "gasser". Hardly a landslide issue to me.

There is a tendancy here to bench race and compare maximum numbers as a way to determine which engine is better than another. First off, currently the only diesels available in fullsize P/Us are in the Super/HD models. Are we to assume that everyone towing a trailer needs these or their resultant cost? Certainly not, but it's their money. Sized right a proper tow vehicle need not be one of the above and save the owner thousands of dollars. Money that in reality will never be recouped by any diesel fuel savings. Most people trade their trucks long before savings are realized or the extra longevity of the diesel engine even is an issue. That's one reason "gassers" are still popular. For example, the Workhorse W34 chassis for Class A motorhomes was brought to market to answer the demand for full featured motorhomes at significant savings over their DP competition. Over the road performance is also better or on par with all but the most powerful DPs. If that chassis was brought to market to answer the demand then I think you have your answer right there. People find value in them. If you feel they're misguided then that's another matter.
'03 Chevy 2500HD 4x4, LT, Ext. cab, LB
8.1/Allison, 4.10
'03 32' 2955 Montana 5er
XM Radio/OnStar
Valley Hitch
Honda EU1000i
1984 VF700F Interceptor

Jackjagt
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel vs Gas,... let's see,
- 54% of vehicles in Europe are Diesel, are they dumb? or smart?
- Diesel engines wring more energy from a unit of fuel, via higher compression.
- Diesel engines last longer, also because the fuel is a lubricant.
- Diesels are 'excess air' engines and un-throttled, thus less losses.
- Diesel fuel is a lower fraction from crude oil and contains more energy.
Guess that explains why the trucking industry is 100% Diesel!
Cann't understand the "gassers".
Life's a Trip!
Greyhead & a cute Brunette
07 Safari Cheetah 36PPD
02 red VW Jetta TDI toad
FMCA F226315,
Ontario OverLanders
Michigan Knights
Skype "merrieyacht'

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
It's after market est $400 and it mounts between the frame and rear axle, gives total ride adjustability when towing a 5th wheel or camper. Also levels truck front to rear and side to side. You can get it installed with a small compressor kit making it adjustable when underway, or manual so you just air up at a service station. Adds a great deal of stability. Any truck accessory shop will have them and install them. Best tow accessory I've come across, highly recommended.

smercc
Explorer
Explorer
Not doing this well but..
Anyway, what is the Firestone airbag suspensionn you spoke of? I remember reading that in another post. Is it a factory thing or after market?
Thanks

smercc
Explorer
Explorer
I'd favor srw 1ton with firestone airbag suspension.