cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

skram
Explorer
Explorer
I got my diesel truck 2 years ago when the diesel price was starting to surpass regular. Now at twice the price, would I still buy a diesel?

Probably, yes.

I do use less fuel compared to a gasser, although I don't neccesarily save money.
It tows better.
Solid reliable engine.
2005 Hornet 24rsl
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, CTD, Megacab, SRW
2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5

rsh_757
Explorer
Explorer
TxCoastCamper wrote:
pronstar wrote:
TxCoastCamper wrote:
Yikes! Diesel dropped from $4.65 to $4.59 at the station I frequent.

I filled up, went home and toasted the event with a bourbon.

And if prices had risen...I think you'd still have had that bourbon ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, lament the rising price with a bourbon.

Tonight, diesel down to $4.49! Time for another...

The short lived experience of gas being more economical than diesel is over. I filled up with diesel for 4.06 after it was 4.69 yesterday. Nearly the same price as regular gas.
2008 Cougar 310SRX 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 CTD
2008 Nissan Armada LE

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer
pronstar wrote:
TxCoastCamper wrote:

Yep, lament the rising price with a bourbon.

Tonight, diesel down to $4.49! Time for another...
2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Let's see...25% price premium for diesel fuel, with a 25-100% boost in miles per gallon. And your point is...?

Wait, you have none, and are merely trying to convince yourself that your gas-hog van is more economical than a diesel truck. Never mind.

Yes, my 8.1 van is much better than my 2003 6.0 PSD Excursion. It gets better mpg per passenger than the 6.0 PSD and cost 1/3 the price.
After two long trips I am convinced it was the best decision ever to sell the 6.0 PSD last fall when diesel was $3.15 a gallon for $24,500 then buy the 8.1 van this spring for $7,900.
Jarlaxle wrote:

No, they sold them because, after the initial disaster, there were still some blindly brand-loyal drones who were dumb enough to buy the modern version of the 350 Olds.

After this catastrophe, Ford deserves to go under.

The Ford apologists were basically covering their ears and hollering LA-LA-LA-LA-I CAN'T HEAR YOU! LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA! anytime there was a problem with the 6.0 PSD.

poldago
Explorer
Explorer
When Gas vs Diesel must be decided on what you are going to do with the truck!
The diesel engine gets more calories than does the gas out of a liter of fuel.
How heavy is the trailer you wish to pull and where are you going to pull that vehicle! Price per gallon should be towards the bottom of the list.
The whole package will run better if you take the time to do your homework......
For example: if you use more gas, how long before the price of diesel balances out the dollar amount.........
My 2001 Dodge pulls a 12k Carriage and gets 9+ when pulling between Kingman AZ and Las Vegas Nv. This is with the A/c on and 98 Degrees outside. And it is uphill all the way........all 121 miles of it.

Admin
If the personal attacks and obscenities don't cease, I will close this thread.

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's see...25% price premium for diesel fuel, with a 25-100% boost in miles per gallon. And your point is...?

Wait, you have none, and are merely trying to convince yourself that your gas-hog van is more economical than a diesel truck. Never mind.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Gaspricewatch says lowest price for gas is $3.39 in Oklahoma City,OK and Flying J in Oklahoma City is $4.239.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
TxCoastCamper wrote:

'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel's been slowly dropped over here the last few weeks. The Exxon is usually about average of them all, it went from $4.75 -> $4.65 -> $4.55. There's one BP station though, when it started going up they went up first and the highest, it has stayed steady at $4.90 for well over a month plus until yesterday when it went from $4.90 as I went past going to work to $4.58 on my way home, $0.32 drop in one afternoon! I guess they sucked as much as they could out of those dumb enough to not drive a little further down the road. (I see a lot of dump trucks there and figure they get a lot of commercial customers) I paid $4.53 at Sunnoco less than a mile down the road on Monday. Previously the Sunnoco was $4.65.

TxCoastCamper
Explorer
Explorer

2006 2500HD D/A CrewCab
1992 Prowler 5er

Ron44
Explorer
Explorer
Todays fuel prices highway mpg city mpg towing 10k trailer mpg
diesel $4.80 21 17 10.5
per mile cost $0.23 $0.28 $0.46
gas $4.10 17 13 9
per mile cost $0.24 $0.32 $0.46
tried to paste as chart, but didnt work. Chart is showing cost of diesel vs gas, mpg of chevy gasser vs diesel, and cost per mile of gas vs diesel.

05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax EC LB
06 FR Sandpiper 285RG
PD9260 Conv/Charger
16" Alum. wheels
BFG Commercial LT225/75-16E
Trail-Air Equa-Flex
Reese 15K hitch
Prodigy Brake controller
Honda EU3000i geny
Bilstein shocks
Firestone airbags

PaulandTammy
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:

I am the dumb one ?

Perhaps you should re-read your posts before asking that question.
PaulandTammy

2006 D3500 4x4 Cummins 6 spd DRW
2009 Cardinal 362 BHLE

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
ponie wrote:

โ€œNo one has ever gone from diesel back to gasโ€?

You still can't quote me correctly, the only way you can hold your side of the argument is to make stuff up.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.