cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I have not embarassed myself. You stated the same thing that I said. A modern gas engine will sense the knock and detune itself resulting in a slight loss of power. An older engine will not do this. My older Ford 351 pulling a 21' (heavy for its size) boat would knock on 87. Whenever I towed I used the tank with the 89 in it and the knock would go away. If I switch back to the 87 tank the knock would come back. To be honest, I don't know what happens to fuel mileage when the timing is retarded. My guess is it would go down a little. I use both gas and diesels boats and trucks. There are uses for both and also applications where one or the other would be a bad choice. Rather than defending ones choice for a TV engine, just pass on info like fuel mileage, towing capability including weights, problems, and whats good too. It is just as likely that someone with diesel wishes he had gas as a gas guy could use a diesel.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Jumbo Cranium wrote:
I didn't see anywhere where anyone said rsh-757 bought his diesel at Safeway.
Ole 8.1 is just makin stuff up again.

I paid 4.09 this morning. Should be under 4 bucks by the weekend.

rsh_757 wrote:

OK - I stopped by the safeway today to put in a few gallons in my infrequently used CTD Ram and noticed that I was being charged only 4.06 a gallon instead of the 4.69-4.79 I am used to paying there. The price change happened after yesterday afternoon as while filling the Honda Accord up, for 3.99 I caught the diesel price. regular gas price, didnt drop, just the diesel and now it is only 7 cents more than regular gas!!! What in the heck happened? I am not complaining.

click here

Oops, sorry 8.1. You are right. I missed it.
Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

kghenson
Explorer
Explorer
Madhatter1 wrote:
If you use 87 for towing you are damaging your engine. Argue that and you are kidding yourself.

Gosh I've read all the excitement you guys have going here. This usually only happens in the winter when folks can't go RVing much.

As to the text I quoted I'm sorry but that actually isn't correct. Most mid-size V-8 gassers are tuned for regular. Going up in grade provides no benefit. But, and this is a big but, you can re-tune the motor ( Chip it ) to advance the timing. This increases power but also requires a higher octane. You see the the octane rating more directly relates to the timing then what your towing.

So, let me repeat, if you tune is stock and your motor runs on regular putting a higher octane gas in the motor will not provide any benefit. Use what the manual says.

Your post obviously reflects out dated technical information. What you said may have been true prior to fuel injection and computers but is completely false today.

interestingly enough if your motor does require premium and you fill it with regular in todays cars and trucks you still won't hurt the motor because the computer will sense knock and retard the timing. You will just have less power.. Cool huh?

Notice how you never see anti-knock claims for gasoline anymore? Thats why, the computers have made it a non-issue.

You sorta have attacked 8.1 a bit in your posts, and he can be annoying at times but I think yu should read up on octane rating, pre-ignition(knock) and what higher octane actually means so that in the future you won't enbarrass yourself this way.

happy camping
Ken
09 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 Extended Cab, LB 4x4
04 299RLS Sprinter
07 Ultra Glide Harley
01 BMW 325CI Green w/Tan Top
Friend of Bill Wilson

Wrenchtraveller
Explorer
Explorer
If you tow heavy and you want a new truck, the only gas engine available with the same tow ratings as a diesel is the Ford V10. GMC and Dodge gas engines are not rated to pull heavy. I loved my 05 Ford V10 and it pulled my 12K fiver very well, but it was written off in an accident
4 months ago, the good part nobody was hurt. They are making trucks every day, so I had to decide what I wanted and I only buy new vehicles so my choice was limited by my opening statement. I would have had to order a Ford V10 and be without a truck for 3 months or go diesel. I drove them all, talked to owners, loved the diesel pullout on pickuptruck.com and being a Honda and Toyota fan wished they were in the heavy duty pickup market but my first choice was a 2008 Chev Duramax dually LTZ 4x4. So far I just love this thing. IMHO On the outside, not as great looking as my 05 F350 SD was but inside much nicer, the LTZ 10 way leather seats are fantastic and fit and finish as good as my 02 Honda accord.
The Dmax is about 40% better on fuel than my 05 V10 was. In Canada, diesel is only 7% higher than gas so I am a happy camper. The 05 V10 was mine, free and clear and I was hoping to drive it for at least another 8 years but it was not in the cards,but insurance was fair to me and the new Dmax won't take long to pay off and it is a sweet ride.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, this topic is diesel VS gas for towing. Using the price for the lowest grade gas does not compare. I would use premium but at least use mid grade price. If you use 87 for towing you are damaging your engine. Argue that and you are kidding yourself. Using the low octane gas $ works for a commuter car but NOT FOR TOWING. THIS IS AN RV TOWING FORUM. I doubt that the 8.1 guys engine can survive pulling his 12 passengers, baggage, and an average camper weight of 6K to 9K. If you try this a modern engine will restrict the power and fuel mileage to preserve the engine. As I have said before there are reasons to go gas or diesel based on load and usage. It p****s me off that one guy wants everyone else to ride a bike and use his choice of engine, towing or not. THIS IS AN RV SITE. NOT A COMMUTER CAR SITE. I at this point have not made any attacks on 8.1's choice and have tried to make fair posts, But at this point ?????????

I had a 7.3 PSD and 6.0 PSD and my 8.1 runs just as well or better on 87 octane with 12 people (non towing) and would tow my 41ft TT if I wanted to tow it. Show me a link were I said I want everyone to ride a bike and use an 8.1. It seems like YOU Dodge diesel owners are in all bent out of shape over the high diesel fuel prices and your truck value dropping 50% since last year, tooooo bad.:B

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, this topic is diesel VS gas for towing. Using the price for the lowest grade gas does not compare. I would use premium but at least use mid grade price. If you use 87 for towing you are damaging your engine. Argue that and you are kidding yourself. Using the low octane gas $ works for a commuter car but NOT FOR TOWING. THIS IS AN RV TOWING FORUM. I doubt that the 8.1 guys engine can survive pulling his 12 passengers, baggage, and an average camper weight of 6K to 9K. If you try this a modern engine will restrict the power and fuel mileage to preserve the engine. As I have said before there are reasons to go gas or diesel based on load and usage. It p****s me off that one guy wants everyone else to ride a bike and use his choice of engine, towing or not. THIS IS AN RV SITE. NOT A COMMUTER CAR SITE. I at this point have not made any attacks on 8.1's choice and have tried to make fair posts, But at this point ?????????

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Jumbo Cranium wrote:

rsh_757 wrote:

OK - I stopped by the safeway today to put in a few gallons in my infrequently used CTD Ram and noticed that I was being charged only 4.06 a gallon instead of the 4.69-4.79 I am used to paying there. The price change happened after yesterday afternoon as while filling the Honda Accord up, for 3.99 I caught the diesel price. regular gas price, didnt drop, just the diesel and now it is only 7 cents more than regular gas!!! What in the heck happened? I am not complaining.

click here

Retired_nuke_ET
Explorer
Explorer
BP down the street from our house went to $4.05 on Tuesday. It was at $4.90 for a while, then dropped $0.32 to $4.58, then dropped $0.23 to $4.35 and now dropped $0.30 to $4.05! The other stations on my route are also dropping though not as fast, they were still at $4.36 and $4.49 this morning. Guess where I'm buying my deisel? ๐Ÿ™‚

PS: None of them are a Safeway or offering any cash vs credit or any other kind of discount I can see.

Jumbo_Cranium
Explorer
Explorer

Roger
Shelley, my sweet baby.

2008 2500 Dodge QC CUMMINS 4x4
2005 25 foot Trail Cruiser 5er.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
You are very confused, that quote in red is by someone in Oregon that purchased diesel with a Safeway discount.
If you are quoting someone else, then it is common practice to include that person's name/handle in the quote. You did not do so, making it appear you were making the statement. A mistake on your part does not equal confusion on my part. Like I said, which you've now proven further, you are just arguing because you like to argue. Let it drop, or prove me right again, makes no difference to me.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote wrote:
8.1 Van wrote:

"Do you shop at Safeway?

Their current offer is 10 cents per gallon off with every $100 in groceries you buy. The kicker is that you can add the discounts all the way up to $1 per gallon off.

A month ago I got 70 cents per gallon off when I filled up.

Maybe thats why you paid so little. The Safeway near Snohomish was $4.69 a few minutes ago when I filled up. Thats without the discount of course."
I filled at a Flying J a few days ago for $4.12 and the station we are filling at when we leave from our vacation is currently $4.19. You are arguing just to hear yourself argue at this point.

You are very confused, that quote in red is by someone in Oregon that purchased diesel with a Safeway discount. I posted that because rsh_757 wrote:"The short lived experience of gas being more economical than diesel is over. I filled up with diesel for 4.06 after it was 4.69 yesterday. Nearly the same price as regular gas."

And now we know why he paid $4.69 one day and $4.06 the next at Safeway in Oregon.BTW I live in NJ.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:

"Do you shop at Safeway?

Their current offer is 10 cents per gallon off with every $100 in groceries you buy. The kicker is that you can add the discounts all the way up to $1 per gallon off.

Maybe thats why you paid so little. The Safeway near Snohomish was $4.69 a few minutes ago when I filled up. Thats without the discount of course."
I filled at a Flying J a few days ago for $4.12 and the station we are filling at when we leave from our vacation is currently $4.19. You are arguing just to hear yourself argue at this point.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

marty649
Explorer
Explorer
I paid $4.09 between Macon and Atlanta this morning.
2005 Dodge 3500 Quad cab CTD Dually, Laramie, G56 sbc con-ofe, GPS-NAV, Sirius, intake and exhaust, Gauges, 100 gal aux fuel tank, Rokktech, Quad box, Pacbrake, 145,000mi

2000 Gulfstream Seahawk, Sat TV, Solar, 6.5kw gen, Washer/Dryer

2001 Roadking

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
rsh_757 wrote:
TxCoastCamper wrote:
pronstar wrote:
TxCoastCamper wrote:
Yikes! Diesel dropped from $4.65 to $4.59 at the station I frequent.

I filled up, went home and toasted the event with a bourbon.

And if prices had risen...I think you'd still have had that bourbon ๐Ÿ™‚

Yep, lament the rising price with a bourbon.

Tonight, diesel down to $4.49! Time for another...

The short lived experience of gas being more economical than diesel is over. I filled up with diesel for 4.06 after it was 4.69 yesterday. Nearly the same price as regular gas.

"Do you shop at Safeway?