cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Tarantula wrote:
It would seem that not many have learned that in engaging in a battle of wits with Hannibal, you're dealing with an unarmed person!!!

I see they let you out... Meds working as planned?:p
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Tarantula
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem that not many have learned that in engaging in a battle of wits with Hannibal, you're dealing with an unarmed person!!!
Our Unit: 2011 Lexus ES. Matador red. . Previously '05 Dodge/CTD & '06 Montana 3000RK.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Rvndave wrote:
dirtbag3 wrote:
When this thread started deisels were at 300hp and 400ft/lb tq and that was enough for a 40 ft 15k trailer. Flash forward to 2010 and SB gassers are now at that level, and not enough to get it done?
Just saying.............your all idiots.

My 03 Cummins is rated at 555 pounds of torque stock, this thread was started in 04.

My 02 dmax was 300/510 stock..also got amazing mileage no gasser could touch towing, then or now.

Rvndave
Explorer
Explorer
dirtbag3 wrote:
When this thread started deisels were at 300hp and 400ft/lb tq and that was enough for a 40 ft 15k trailer. Flash forward to 2010 and SB gassers are now at that level, and not enough to get it done?

My 03 Cummins is rated at 555 pounds of torque stock, this thread was started in 04.
2003 Jayco 308fbs eagle 33' tt, towed by a 2003 Ram 3500 slt, quad cab dually, cummins diesel ho, trailer towing package, with 6 speed manual. Hauls better 1/2, 3 kids, myself, and a 2003 ez go clays car.. I have added so far, neon lights, clearance lights, back up lights, black light, lift kit, mud tires, and everything necessary to make the golf cart street legal. It's now ready to spend the winter in the garage for more mods. More neon, strobe lights, alarm, a pa system, maintance, and whatever else that comes along. This golf cart does wheelies and travels thru 7 inches of mud when need be. Two honda eu2000i gens twinned to supply the electrical power. Latest addition an 04 Honda Goldwing. [url]http://www.hometown.aol.com/rvnagain/myhomepage/profile.html[url]

dirtbag3
Explorer
Explorer
F350 V10 4x4 CC DRW 186k
06 25fsk Stellar
1999 Ranger 289k

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
srt20 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Don't forget spark plugs flying like bottle rockets and engines struggling and screaming while running "below" their peak torque rpm and over 1000rpm below peak hp. If the ISBe Cummins doesn't need a lift pump, disconnect it and run without it! I like entertainment!:B

I dont follow Ford gassers so I dont comment on them. You cant just disconnect it, you have to take it out, take out the restriction.

Funny how you were such a Dodge Diesel fan, then a Dodge Hemi fan, now those are not nearly as good as your Ford gasser. Are you one of those people that always say " I always have the best, and if you were smart you would have the same as me" ? Yep I know a few people like that. And you act the exact same as them. Must be some sort of insecurity.

You couldn't be more wrong. Please quote anywhere anytime that I have said my Ford gasser is better than the Dodge Hemi or diesel. Cut and paste. It's really easy. Otherwise you're just speaking untruths to start trouble where there isn't any. I have said many times including as recently as last week, the Cummins engine is the best engine ever put in a pickup truck. No insecurities here. Otherwise I would buy what's popular so I'd fit in and feel secure. I've made it clear why the new gassers work better for me than the new diesels and the several reasons why I chose the F250 over the new Ram. Made in USA was only one reason.
I didn't realize you were so much above the lowly Ford gasser. My deepest apologies your highness! The same was said about the VP44. No lift pump needed. Hmm... If the CP3 doesn't need a lift pump, why didn't Dodge simply remove it from manufacturing instead of putting it in the tank where it should have been all along? The GM has no lift pump? How does it prime the CP3?

Im not gonna go look for any of your old posts. I dont have time for things like that. You are in this post arguing with others about how your gasser makes more sense to own than a diesel. How a diesel has no benefits anymore compared to a gasser. Maybe for you it does make more sense, but for many others it aint gonna get the job done.

Im not above a ford gasser, where did I say that? A ford gasser will not work for me. Im not a Ford fan either. But Im not gonna bash the brand.

Never heard that about a VP44. Did you make that up? I dont know why Dodge put the fuel pump on the trucks. Do any of us know why any manu. does anything they do? Look up a fuel pump on a 01-06(?) Chevy. Im not sure if the newer ones have it or not. With all the emissions crap, I stopped trying to pay attention to any of the manus. I CP3 is a much,much better injector pump than a vp44, and will and does suck fuel from the tank on its own.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
srt20 wrote:
3-5 mpg hand calculated in not negligable.

From a tuner alone? Not likely. Which is it; 3 or 5? There is a big difference. I can believe 3 if you're using EFI LIVE which is a lot more involved than just plug & play tuner. And if you're running EFI, you're likey running more mods than just a tuner.

Truck is a 05 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 auto. Has cold air intake. And a Smarty SR. With the CAI I averaged 15mpg always. With the Smarty I average between 18-20mpg depending on how I drive. Beating on it is 18, nice steady cruise on the freeway is 20. All mpg figures are using summer fuel in warmer months. All else is stock. Truck does have a topper. Stock tires. If you dont believe me, I dont care.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Don't forget spark plugs flying like bottle rockets and engines struggling and screaming while running "below" their peak torque rpm and over 1000rpm below peak hp. If the ISBe Cummins doesn't need a lift pump, disconnect it and run without it! I like entertainment!:B

I dont follow Ford gassers so I dont comment on them. You cant just disconnect it, you have to take it out, take out the restriction.

Funny how you were such a Dodge Diesel fan, then a Dodge Hemi fan, now those are not nearly as good as your Ford gasser. Are you one of those people that always say " I always have the best, and if you were smart you would have the same as me" ? Yep I know a few people like that. And you act the exact same as them. Must be some sort of insecurity.

You couldn't be more wrong. Please quote anywhere anytime that I have said my Ford gasser is better than the Dodge Hemi or diesel. Cut and paste. It's really easy. Otherwise you're just speaking untruths to start trouble where there isn't any. I have said many times including as recently as last week, the Cummins engine is the best engine ever put in a pickup truck. No insecurities here. Otherwise I would buy what's popular so I'd fit in and feel secure. I've made it clear why the new gassers work better for me than the new diesels and the several reasons why I chose the F250 over the new Ram. Made in USA was only one reason.
I didn't realize you were so much above the lowly Ford gasser. My deepest apologies your highness! The same was said about the VP44. No lift pump needed. Hmm... If the CP3 doesn't need a lift pump, why didn't Dodge simply remove it from manufacturing instead of putting it in the tank where it should have been all along? The GM has no lift pump? How does it prime the CP3?

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:

From a tuner alone? Not likely. Which is it; 3 or 5? There is a big difference. I can believe 3 if you're using EFI LIVE which is a lot more involved than just plug & play tuner. And if you're running EFI, you're likey running more mods than just a tuner.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I cant believe some off the stuff Ive read in this post. KDP wasnt an issue after 98. CP3 pumps dont need a fuel pump to run, and dont go bad from lack of one. Duramaxes dont have a fuel pump, and have the same CP3 as the Cummins.

The constant bickering on this site, by people that really dont know what they are talking about is quite amusing. Thanks for the entertainment.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer

rcpd34
Explorer
Explorer
Ram4Sam wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
If the black smoke is in fact wasted fuel, why do the various programmers lead to increased MPG?

Most programmers advance the timing which is where the increase in mileage comes from.

Sam

The increase in mpg from a tuner is negligable anyway.
Brian
2014 Dutchmen Voltage V300
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC/SB 4X4 Duramax LMM/LTZ/Z71

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
If the black smoke is in fact wasted fuel, why do the various programmers lead to increased MPG?

Most programmers advance the timing which is where the increase in mileage comes from.

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...