cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
It looks to me like the GM twins averaged 2000 less to own over 5 years, the ram diesel cost 578 MORE and the ford cost 763 MORE.

I don't see where that article shows that any diesel pickup truck had a dramatically lower cost to own. It also shows the same amount of fees and taxes per vehicle and at least in my state between sales tax and personal property tax the diesel truck would cost substantially more in taxes.

Also keep in mind that the study was prepared for (paid for by) bosch the same company that makes that fragile, craps out to the tune of 10k because of a drop of water fuel pump that causes so much grief. How much faith would you have in a study about the health effects of smoking sponsored by phillip morris.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
SWAGGER wrote:
not sure this this been posted but is a recent study from 2013

http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_CD_UMTRITCOFinalReport_dd2017.pdf

Overall, the results of our analyses show that diesel vehicles provide owners with a TCO that is less than that of the gas versions of the same vehicles. The estimates of savings for three and five years of ownership vary from a low of $67 in three years to a high of $15,619 in five years, but most of the savings are in the $2,000 to $6,000 range, which also include the extra cost that is usually added to the diesel version of a vehicle.

Clicky

Very interesting given the fact that was the teething years for diesels heaver pollution controls.

So with diesel you get both cost savings and more power even with higher cost of fuel.

Lets not forget we are ending a heavy heating season and in my area diesel held steady at about $3.90, gas got as low as about $2.29. Now Diesel is still steady at $3.90, and gas is at $3.66 a gallon.

Donning Fire suit.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

parkersdad
Explorer
Explorer
SWAGGER wrote:

http://www.dieselforum.org/files/dmfile/20130311_CD_UMTRITCOFinalReport_dd2017.pdf

Overall, the results of our analyses show that diesel vehicles provide owners with a TCO that is less than that of the gas versions of the same vehicles. The estimates of savings for three and five years of ownership vary from a low of $67 in three years to a high of $15,619 in five years, but most of the savings are in the $2,000 to $6,000 range, which also include the extra cost that is usually added to the diesel version of a vehicle.

That was a 2011 survey. Things have changed since then. My RAM is now urea-based instead of filter-based. They have gained lots of miles per gallon. I get 16 to 17 in town now and 22 to 23 on the highway. Thanks for the info though that was a nice read

SWAGGER
Explorer
Explorer

2013 f250 PSD
2015 Palomino Solaire 292QBSK

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Toyota says Prii. Latin experts say Preora. I've passed many diesel pickups clogging up traffic towing their wares. :B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a diesel vs gas duck season wabbit season thread, so I have a question properly on the topic:

If there are 6 Prius cars climbing a grade being passed by a diesel pickup hauling a TC and towing a trailer,

What is the correct plural of "Prius"? Prius's? Priuszsz? Pri-we? Pri-they? :h

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Better than trying to legislate!

http://TBO.com/news/crime/tailgater-crashes-gets-arrested-state-troopers-say-20140327/

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
rcpd34 wrote:
Sport45 wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:
Yes, but a gasser can't do this CLICK ME! or this CLICK ME 2

I've had gassers that would do that.

But once the choke was fixed it cleared right up.

You tend to get a lot of smoke when you're overfueling. Are those examples diesels that are getting high mpg's?

No, it's an example of wasted fuel, excessive pollution and imaturity. This is the sort of thing that gives diesels a bad name and has Prius drivers calling for more restrictions.

LOL! As a Prius owner, I can assure you I'm not calling for more restrictions. But I bet there's a few bicyclists who are. As well as millions of other people. I drive mine as a hedge against the possibility of future $8 a gallon gas. No mission to save the planet. I have straight pipes on my old Harley. I ride around easy and no one cares. If I went around blasting other drivers like you, they and you would be calling for tougher noise restrictions. The blame would lie on me, not those I intentionally offended.:C

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
Another one with his underwear way too tight. What is a post rating? Just trying to add some levity to the stupid banter about how gas engines are equal to or superior to diesels as far as performance goes.

Look how upset you have become and look how much energy you and a couple others are spending on me. This post (Diesel vs Gas) went sideways shortly after its inception and resurrects itself with the same back and forth banter but with different users.

jevanb
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
"I was the driver..." Bull.
Winner Winner. Those are just random YouTube videos. rhagfo & transamz9 - your underwear is knotted up a little too tight.

bkirkpatrick wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:

Wow. I don't know if everyone will get that you posted that in humor. You did post it as a joke right?
Take it any way you want to... I was the driver.
and a liar.. what did you get out of posting this??? so you can up your post rating?? are you 12years old??
2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
bkirkpatrick wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Winner Winner. Those are just random YouTube videos. rhagfo & transamz9 - your underwear is knotted up a little too tight.

Yeah but you were also taunting until someone took the bait. That makes you something of a troublemaker. This thread isn't a bad place to be one though :B
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:

Wow. I don't know if everyone will get that you posted that in humor. You did post it as a joke right?

Well as a police officer I find it totally disgraceful that an officer of the law would do something like that, and be proud of it!

Jerks like you are part of the reason the EPA is coming down hard on diesels!

Amen brother!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bkirkpatrick wrote:
OhhWell wrote:
bkirkpatrick wrote:

Well as a police officer I find it totally disgraceful that an officer of the law would do something like that, and be proud of it!

Jerks like you are part of the reason the EPA is coming down hard on diesels!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"