cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 2003 Chevy Avalanche 8.1L to a 99 Dodge Cummins.. The Avalanche is no slouch and was an amazing tow vehicle but just does not compare to the Cummins. There is no comparison going up hill. Fuel mileage.. was not a consideration with either purchase.. is better with the diesel. I bought the Dodge to take me wherever.. whenever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Good information here. I enjoy reading the post.
I did a test drive on a new Ford F-250 6.2 gas 4X4. Loved the ride / drive. I hooked it to my TT about 5,500. ( no load leveling hitch) I was hoping to pull the TT up my very steep driveway in two wheel drive. My F150 will pull it in 4X4 but the curves cause the transfer case to bind up. After reaching the top. It's very difficult to get it Back in two wheel drive. But the F250 did not do the job. It would strain then finally start spinning both wear tires. I know I'm asking a lot. Maybe too much. Hope to try their diesel next. Really hoping the diesel will idle up the drive.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
PBandJ-RVA wrote:

The Ford had, hands down, the absolute worst ride. We could not imagine driving it for long periods of time. It beat us to death for about an hour of driving.

The best ride, by far, was the Chevy. It drove like a car. The seats and such proved the most comfortable.

Darn good post! I just wanted to point out those two parts... I agree compeletly! I love my F250, but friend's Chevys have MUCH nicer rides!

Actually, my F250 has an "acceptable" ride when it is loaded. Unloaded, well, it is rough.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
PaPaGoose wrote:
Another 2 cents on the diesel vs. gas TV's. I've used a gas TV for the past 10 years. It finally came time to purchase a new vehicle this year. I went with a 2015 F250 diesel and have been extremely pleased. My gasser really struggled in the Appalachian mts. of VA & NC. The diesel pulled the same rig with no problems and with much better mpg. Now, if I can get 10+ years out of this truck, I'll be a happy camper!

Well more like 20 years if you maintain the body, as well as the engine!
Our Ram is 15 years young and at 288,000 miles still pulling strong. Just keeping it fixing the little things and enjoying the ride.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

PBandJ-RVA
Explorer
Explorer
In March 2015, I replaced my trusty Chevy gas 1500 with a diesel, with no regrets. I pull a bumper mount Evergreen 29FK. About 7,500 lbs.

My reasons:

1. We're retiring in 2016 and planning on RV traveling quite a bit. My 15 year old Chevy with 160,000 miles is bound to have something go wrong someplace, where I no not the good repair places.
2. The 24 gallon tank with 8 - 10 MPG when pulling yields too frequent fill-ups. Hard on the wallet, too!
3. Going over the mountains is interesting.

I am not exactly brand loyal and extensively researched the diesels made by Dodge, Chevy and Ford.

When walking around the campgrounds and asked many owners of pickups about their experiences. All seemed happy with whatever make they purchased.
The most unusual group were the Ford people. This group garners the greatest brand loyalty of all. They win the award for bragging rites. Yet, all shared similar stories about what they had to get fixed. Go figure.
The dodge folks talked mostly about the Cummins engine.
When visiting independent diesel repair shops, Ford pickups were by far the most numerous on their lots. Most of the repair technicians described Ford diesels as less than desirable. Most of the mechanics who owned diesel trucks owned Dodge trucks.
The transmission shops had the most repairs going to Dodge, then Ford. GM's Allison tranny had none.

Off for the test drives!

My wife and I liked the Dodge truck best of all. In our humble opinion, it was the best looking and appointed. Many nice features were evident.

The Ford had, hands down, the absolute worst ride. We could not imagine driving it for long periods of time. It beat us to death for about an hour of driving.

The best ride, by far, was the Chevy. It drove like a car. The seats and such proved the most comfortable.

Deal wise, we hit the perfect storm. The Chevy dealer had a High Country model on the lot longer then they wanted. I got a deal for more truck then Dodge could match in price. The Ford was the most expensive for less truck. The Ford options killed the pricing.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying the Chevy. It is one beautiful truck and pulls like a dream. Hardly any loss of mileage when pulling.
My only complaint is you have no sense of how fast you are going. I have been hitting 80 MPH and feeling like I'm going 55. Good thing it has a speed alarm on it. Love that heated steering wheel too!

PaPaGoose
Explorer
Explorer
Another 2 cents on the diesel vs. gas TV's. I've used a gas TV for the past 10 years. It finally came time to purchase a new vehicle this year. I went with a 2015 F250 diesel and have been extremely pleased. My gasser really struggled in the Appalachian mts. of VA & NC. The diesel pulled the same rig with no problems and with much better mpg. Now, if I can get 10+ years out of this truck, I'll be a happy camper!
Bruce & Elaine
2002 Flagstaff 26DS

Packed and ready to go . . . ALWAYS!

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
I think I ended up paying something like 1400CAD all told (including the skid plate - also polyethylene).
It was installed at a truck accessory place right here in Calgary.

That was in 2012 mind you...when our dollar was on par with the USD...now we are in peso country..!! lol

FYI: just paid last week the cheapest diesel since I bought the truck in '07:
$ 88.9 / Litre

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steakman wrote:
LMAO...I hear yea...LOL.!!

Yea it was worse...much worse last year. I think I paid $1.37 for diesel in Salmon Arm. They have 15% PST/GST in BC plus a Carbon Tax to boot. Crazy.

Here in Alberta its simply 5% GST only...I just paid this past week .90/Litre...not too shabby when one is filling some 60+ Gallons.!!

BC Stands for: Bring Cash
It's expensive there for some things, but one cant argue It's some of the most beautiful area on the planet...moving there in a cpl of years...trading in the 5th for 23' Pontoon Boat.!!

Totally Agree.. both Alberta and BC are amazing!.. beautiful country!
BTW what kind of place did you get to install the Titan Tank? Is the install expensive?

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
LMAO...I hear yea...LOL.!!

Yea it was worse...much worse last year. I think I paid $1.37 for diesel in Salmon Arm. They have 15% PST/GST in BC plus a Carbon Tax to boot. Crazy.

Here in Alberta its simply 5% GST only...I just paid this past week .90/Litre...not too shabby when one is filling some 60+ Gallons.!!

BC Stands for: Bring Cash
It's expensive there for some things, but one cant argue It's some of the most beautiful area on the planet...moving there in a cpl of years...trading in the 5th for 23' Pontoon Boat.!!

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steakman wrote:
They are pricey no question...but worth it in my opinion. Particularly in this scenario.

I travel from a low tax jusridiction (Alberta) to a high tax jusrisdiction - BC and with both tanks full can do a 10 day vacation with little to no fill up, depending on how much driving in the area.

They are really the only option I know of... and for a short box the best alternative.

Other thing - given you have a short box....when you do go 5th Wheel, take a good look at a PUllrite Super Glide hitch...also pricey, but priceless in its operation...

As for the old tank... scrap value I would think.. although you could put it up on craigslist or kijiji...ya never know.??

Having just returned from BC I can absolutely understand what you're saying. I thought the price was per gallon and nearly choked when I saw it was per liter ๐Ÿ™‚ We came back down into the US running fumes and headed to the nearest gas station! ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree.. scrap value is probably the only way to get anything back on the old tank!... It's shame!.. My truck is a new 2015.. I don't know why Ford don't offer some USEFUL upgrades such as a bigger fuel tank like the Titan that you showed me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
They are pricey no question...but worth it in my opinion. Particularly in this scenario.

I travel from a low tax jusridiction (Alberta) to a high tax jusrisdiction - BC and with both tanks full can do a 10 day vacation with little to no fill up, depending on how much driving in the area.

They are really the only option I know of... and for a short box the best alternative.

Other thing - given you have a short box....when you do go 5th Wheel, take a good look at a PUllrite Super Glide hitch...also pricey, but priceless in its operation...

As for the old tank... scrap value I would think.. although you could put it up on craigslist or kijiji...ya never know.??

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steakman wrote:
check out ...
Titan Tanks

I put one on my 2500 HD: 52 Gallons instead of the stock 29 I think it was. Polyethylene - fits in the OEM spot underneath without ANY modifications to the frame or crossmembers...Not sure of pricing in USD..couple of years ago I paid 1200 installed in Calgary (with the skid plate - also Poly as well)..well worth it in my opinion.

I also have a 30 gallon slip tank I had built for under my Aluminum Tool Box...its simply Tee'd into my fill tube and I use a 1/2" manual ball valve to drain into the Titan. I figure I can go about 1700 miles on a full fill.... MT truck though.

cheers,

stk

This is great!... THANK YOU!

50 gallons is quite an improvement on range.. especially when towing!

It's a bit pricy though!.. Can you get anything back on your old tank? and who would buy it?

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
check out ...
Titan Tanks

I put one on my 2500 HD: 52 Gallons instead of the stock 29 I think it was. Polyethylene - fits in the OEM spot underneath without ANY modifications to the frame or crossmembers...Not sure of pricing in USD..couple of years ago I paid 1200 installed in Calgary (with the skid plate - also Poly as well)..well worth it in my opinion.

I also have a 30 gallon slip tank I had built for under my Aluminum Tool Box...its simply Tee'd into my fill tube and I use a 1/2" manual ball valve to drain into the Titan. I figure I can go about 1700 miles on a full fill.... MT truck though.

cheers,

stk

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing...

Although the fuel tank is about the same size as our GMC suburban, and although the fuel economy towing is about twice as good as the Yukon 14mph vs 7mph.

We do feel that having some extra range between fills would be nice. We know about the bed mounted Aux tank, but with a short bed we really don't want to lose more bed space.

I'm not sure if you can get Auxiliary underneath mounted fuel tanks for the F350 Short bed? I saw one that required removing the spare wheel. Then you have the problem of putting your spare somewhere!

If anyone knows of an Aux tank that somehow finds some space underneath then please let me know!

Or even an enlarged replacement tank???

smcrea
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steakman wrote:
smcrea...that choice is in my mind, a good one. Yea, a bit overkill for 7k lbs...but then once the kids are gone and its mama and yerself... a nice 35' 5th with all the luxuries is nice to have.. but given said 5th's wheel pin weight will likely be in the 2K+ range, you'll be so glad you went with a 3500.

It's all about the suspension and tires you put underneath it.

Cheers,
stk

We thought about that as well! ๐Ÿ™‚

It could go either way.. If we become full or semi full timers then a nice 5th would be great!

Or if we don't and we just want to go and visit the kids somewhere then maybe a camper for the two of us.

Either way I think that we are good to go.

The biggest decision was short or long bed.. We chose Short, but long does have advantages. But IF we did get a camper then you can get them that are pretty tall and stick out at the back.. plenty big enough for the wife and I!