cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Steakman wrote:
A buck 89 eh..? well given the CAD is running right now at 0.69 USD that works out to about 0.72/Litre...and in Edmonton it's about that...in Calgary on sale at 0.75/litre.

I like it, but would rather have my Oil n Gas job back and paying 1.30/Litre...
Time to lob a few MOAB's into Saudi Aramco and the Iranian Oil fields....to hell with them all.

Cheers from the not so much fun Oil Sands....where the jobs are disappearing faster than Houdini and a few other acts...

stk

Amen from Oil rich, but idle in ground Kern County CA. Lots and lots of lost work here. The barrels cost more than the oil.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
A buck 89 eh..? well given the CAD is running right now at 0.69 USD that works out to about 0.72/Litre...and in Edmonton it's about that...in Calgary on sale at 0.75/litre.

I like it, but would rather have my Oil n Gas job back and paying 1.30/Litre...
Time to lob a few MOAB's into Saudi Aramco and the Iranian Oil fields....to hell with them all.

Cheers from the not so much fun Oil Sands....where the jobs are disappearing faster than Houdini and a few other acts...

stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
http://fox17online.com/2016/01/17/no-joke-gas-is-47-cents-per-gallon-in-one-michigan-town/

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Drive my FIL F150 ecoboost and was impressed with the power and efficiency. Can't tow what a HD diesel does but for light to moderate loads would be a nice alternative.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I have a 2003 F-250 SD 7.3L and I let air out of tires to 45 front and 40 rear"

I would advise looking up what your tries carrying capacity is at 45psi. I will bet it's a tad low.

It depends what tires he is running. My heavier 6.0 PSD could run 50 PSI and 30 PSI rear within weight limits, but I usually ran 60/40 when empty.

I agree, it depends on the tire but if he is running a 16" stock "E" tire he is probably under inflated.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bedlam
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I have a 2003 F-250 SD 7.3L and I let air out of tires to 45 front and 40 rear"

I would advise looking up what your tries carrying capacity is at 45psi. I will bet it's a tad low.

It depends what tires he is running. My heavier 6.0 PSD could run 50 PSI and 30 PSI rear within weight limits, but I usually ran 60/40 when empty.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
justafordguy wrote:
mikebte wrote:
Diesel Wins, except in the case you have to install a $3-5K fuel pump. Than you might loose all your savings. But it is worth the power.

Just get a old Diesel that doesn't require an expensive fuel pump. Mine only costs $150 if I ever need one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

How much does your HPOP cost though? Injectors? FICM? IPR? ICP? This is what runs your fuel system. Believe me, your truck is not special.;)

I didn't say it was special, but it's been cheap to run. All the parts for the 6.0 are much cheaper than the newer diesels. An by the way the HPOPs run around $600 but I've never had to replace anything on mine because it was broke but I have done a few MODs.;)

What mods have you done to it?
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2003 F-250 SD 7.3L and I let air out of tires to 45 front and 40 rear.. make a big difference in ride. I drive mine all over town at time in my job so the softer ride is nice.

Tvov wrote:
PBandJ-RVA wrote:

The Ford had, hands down, the absolute worst ride. We could not imagine driving it for long periods of time. It beat us to death for about an hour of driving.

The best ride, by far, was the Chevy. It drove like a car. The seats and such proved the most comfortable.

Darn good post! I just wanted to point out those two parts... I agree compeletly! I love my F250, but friend's Chevys have MUCH nicer rides!

Actually, my F250 has an "acceptable" ride when it is loaded. Unloaded, well, it is rough.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
hmm...There is no question that the fuel system on a common rail diesel is full of expensive parts.

So how does one keep from wearing them out..??

SIMPLE: Filter it 2 or even three times before it even hits the rail. don't rely on your OEM single fuel filter to keep the crud out that will damage your fuel system: (5-10 Micron particulate matter). Yes it will cost you some extra coin but in the long run, there is no reason to not have injectors or a cp3 IP go 400K + miles.

For my self: Initially I run a FASS 150 gpm lift pump @ 10 psi set up: Both filters are 5 mU - then the fuel goes to the OEM filter assay where I have a cheap Chinese made knock off with the old paper filter at 40mU - then to a final Stanadyne Fuel Manager set up with a 2 mU filter and then to the rail. My EGR was blocked for over 200k miles and recently completely deleted. No soot into the intake.

A good fuel additive: Opti-Lube is recommended. As is Power Service Diesel Kleen...i use both.

If ya want to see an excellent ASTM conducted study on Fuel Lubricity and additives; goto Dieselplace.com and search Lubricity Study by Spicer. When you're done that one, look for his ASTM sanctioned Air Filter Study...both are surprising in their results.

Both studies are applicable to fuel system longevity.

...and in the end, I'm still driving my 2006 LBZ and will continue to do so, till the day I leave this planet...Then I'll expect one of my good friends to arrange for a backhoe to dig a ramp down which my truck can go, set me in my seat with a hi end btl. of Tequila in my hands and a nice gagger hanging from my lips to send me off..!! and the mileage at that time noted on my headstone.!! LOL ๐Ÿ˜„

Rgds,

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
justafordguy wrote:
mikebte wrote:
Diesel Wins, except in the case you have to install a $3-5K fuel pump. Than you might loose all your savings. But it is worth the power.

Just get a old Diesel that doesn't require an expensive fuel pump. Mine only costs $150 if I ever need one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

How much does your HPOP cost though? Injectors? FICM? IPR? ICP? This is what runs your fuel system. Believe me, your truck is not special.;)

I didn't say it was special, but it's been cheap to run. All the parts for the 6.0 are much cheaper than the newer diesels. An by the way the HPOPs run around $600 but I've never had to replace anything on mine because it was broke but I have done a few MODs.;)
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
mikebte wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
mikebte wrote:

2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer