cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Diesel vs gas......................

blt2ski
OK folks, there have been a few to many diesel vs gas threads that have shall we say gone to "Hell and a hand basket"! So if all of you would put in you BEST, no flaming reasons for going gas vs diesel, pro and con, I will either leave your thread, or copy and paste pertinant info to the 4 posts of pro and con of diesel or gas. This can include the GM 8.1 vs Dmax or Ford V-8/10 vs PSD etc too.

Be real and honest in you answers, not hear say, flaming etc PLEASE!

If posts are good ones, I will leave, if inflamatory or trolling in nature, they will be deleted! I will get this stick'd to the top for future parusing for those that need this type of info.

Added 6-23-04

We are getting closer to answers I am looking for etc.

Stuff like Ken's - T-Bone posts are good. There are a few others of you that have not posted, some with a 9 point question and answer type to figure out how you went with one or the other. If you are one of those, PLEASE repost in this thread. I may have to look up whom has done this and PM you, but if you think this is you, you now know what to do.

Also, for those of you with $ per gallon for either fuel right now, I would prefer to see a post with ...."in my area, diesel is typically .10 less than unleaded" then explain your numbers. As currently in the Seattle area, diesel and unleaded are any where from 2.05 -2.30 per gallon, with mid test .10 more and premium about .20 more, with equal high low splits. Two weeks ago those prices were upwards of .30 -.40 per gallon more. people were posting $ per gallon that were for me. "I wish" If someone is reading your post a year from now, they may want to know where your paying 1.65, when the price of fuel is over $3 per gallon. Let's keep prices out of it if possible.

Bert and tin tipi, got into a good discusion on the pros and cons of RPM's, drive train etc. I would prefer to NOT see the quote of the other in responding threads, maybe just write a quick wording of re tranny gearing, instead of the whole 40 words or so in that paragragh, so the repsonse is shorter if possible quicker and easier to read etc.

I have deleted some 15+/- posts, that were off topic etc. Please note, I am trying to keep this at the top, as the ONLY gas/diesel thread in this area. So if one is trying to decide, we do not have to go thru this BS any more. As such, I will be deleting ANY future posts close to resembling this type of topic. I may have to change "this" title to a better one, if one has a better sounding title, to be more positive, better claification, let me know here, or in a PM/e-mail, what ever you feel most comfortible with.

Again thank you for all of you that are keeping responses positive, etc.

Also we could use a few more positive reasons to go gas, as many can see I have both gas and diesel, both have a place! Both have positive reasons to buy that fuel, lets keep the threads etc to that purpose only!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
4,683 REPLIES 4,683

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
I thought my V10 was more like a Piper Cub, "You can't haul an 11,000 lb. 5th wheel, without being overweight, with a gasser. Torque is power and torque costs money. Comparing a diesel to a gasser is like comparing a piper cub to a 747. Cigar Mike". By the way, do you think your 5.7 is much like today's current gas offerings, in trucks set up to tow heavier loads? What was the hp/torque of the 5.7 you had, what gears did you have, what was the torque curve like in that truck? But you're probably right, again.
2015 Four Wheel Camper Hawk (on order, impatiently waiting)
2005 Ford F250 CC, V10, 4.30, 4x4
Triple A RV in Medford Sucks

mgratner
Explorer
Explorer
Ace,

I never said your truck won't pull a 5er. What I said was your gasser won't pull an 11,000 pound 5er up a 6% grade in the mountains as easy as any modern diesel. 4k+ gasser, at maybe 30 mph in the truck climbing extreme right lane. Diesel, 2k+ in center lane at 55-60 mph. Sorry Ace, its like comparing an F16 (diesel) to a DC3 (gasser). Yeah it cost more to buy and operate an F16 than a DC3, but the ride is worth every extra dime. Same with diesel over gasser. By the way I used to tow a 5k gross trailer with a 5.7 and it was the DC3.

Cigar Mike
2004.5 2500 CTD Dodge Ram Quad Cab Longbed
2005 CF29CK Crossroads Cruiser with all the options

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote wrote:
...Devo, thank you for joining the discussion. We appreciate your input.

Although the thanks is several pages late, you're welcome.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

woodrow
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
The bottom line is it cost me less to go from point A to point B in reg unl gas cost today with my 8.1 van than it would with my PSD Excursions with diesel fuel.

The best post yet from you 8.1 and completely on the nose! Point A and point B however are different for us, thus the diesel is the optimal choice!
2013 Arctic Fox 811
'07 Duramax Crew Cab/Thunderjet Luxor Offshore
Sold: Flagstaff TT/Forest river 23t/Cougar 314 5er/Arctic fox 811/2000 Tioga 29z class c

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote, didn't the 2001 Duramax have 520 lb/ft torque at the flywheel? Do you have 3.73 gears? Just wondering if my V10 gas truck has more rear wheel torque than your's, not a slam or anything, just wondering? By the way, don't forget to let me know when you'll be in my neck of the woods. I love buying friends a cup of coffee on their way through town. You're 5'er must be pretty light weight.

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote, I was mentioning it doesn't work, or hasn't for me, but another reason I was mentioning it was I hope it works for others. It'd be nice if you and some others blocked my posts from your viewing, but I imagine if it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for others. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion. Let me know when you'll be in Southern Oregon and maybe we can get some coffee.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Devo, are you another alias for Supie?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Devo the dog wrote:
Message to Ace!:

Dude - let it go. Discussing facts with diesel owners is useless. All they care about is what they believe. Anything outside of that upsets them and they turn it into an argument about something you didn't bring up. If you don't believe me, watch for the upcoming attacks on me just because of this post.
Devo, thank you for joining the discussion. We appreciate your input.
2001 Silverado 2500HD LS CC/SB Duramax/Allison Indigo Blue
2004 Cedar Creek 31LBHBS 5er
Our Team
Rallies Attended: 3ยฝ

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Message to Ace!:

Dude - let it go. Discussing facts with diesel owners is useless. All they care about is what they believe. Anything outside of that upsets them and they turn it into an argument about something you didn't bring up. If you don't believe me, watch for the upcoming attacks on me just because of this post.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
Ace! wrote:
bluenote, are you trying to add something, or just taking pot shots?
If you don't like what I have to say, maybe you should use that block member feature you talked about. If you toned down the arrogance, things wouldn't need to be said.
Our Team

rvert10
Explorer
Explorer
$1.31 regular and $2.31 to $2.39 diesel in SLC area
I haven't got the gist yet of what you two are in a heavy discussion about, but if its gas verse diesel for towing or V10 verses a diesel what are you using the truck for? my preference after towing with both is diesel, but if its just for work around the mansion and the commute a small gasser would suffice.
2015 Chevy Silverado DRW,6spd auto, Exhaust break,
35' Teton Home Experience 3 slides, its not a trailer its a home
5500 watt generator
and a beautiful Co-piolet

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
bluenote, are you trying to add something, or just taking pot shots?

bluenote
Explorer
Explorer
First insults, then denial, followed by sarcasm?

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry!!!!
Our Team

Ace_
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

LOL. You still don't get it do you.

... Your V10 comes up short in the torque department when matched with newer gen diesels such as my 305/555 Cummins engine. Just as my 305/555 Cummins comes up short with the newer 325/600 engines and especially the new 350/650 diesel.

Your replies would be more credible if you would drop the ignorant remarks. I'm certainly not and your probably not either. Your use of them wasn't necessary.

No, I don't get it. I'm the one that originally posted the torque figures, showing my V10 to have approximately 5% less rear wheel torque than your truck, so I think you're the one that doesn't get it. You want to argue a point I'm not making. You're taking it personally or something when I think my truck will do the same job (which in my case is pulling a trailer, doing whatever daily driving I need to do, and hauling gravel or dirt). I also think it will tow almost anyone's trailer/5'er (anyone that seemed to say it wouldn't, esp Cigar Mike). You know what, I just did a little more research and remembered an experience I had and you're right, the diesel is better than gas, does everything gas does, only better in every way. Can we be friends now? By the way, I'm sure you have as more experience with the V10 as I do with the Chevy, and it makes your experience or opinion more valuable. Thank you for the insight.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Ace! wrote:
(snip)
By the way, what did I say, specifically that got you so riled up? What are we arguing about, because I don't even know. I said you (generally) don't NEED a diesel because a gas truck will do the same job. I also posted a link to the most objective article on the subject, much more objective than most people can accomplish on their own (not just seat of the pants), I said buy what you want and be happy, and I showed how torque is a function of gearing to clear up ambiguity when others (not you specifically) say you NEED a diesel to do the same job. There are other things I said, but what specifically got your panties in a wad?

LOL. You still don't get it do you.

Anyway a gas truck (your V10) will not do the same job as a diesel truck (my diesel) for my situation. And if you look at my posts I keep hammering that fact. And most certainly your V10 will pull my trailer. Never said it wouldn't. But I did say several post ago and I keep copying it for your benifit is
Jim says;
"The V10 is a stout engine and without a doubt gets the best fuel milage of the big block gassers. But it won't touch "my diesel" in towing power/max torque/fuel consumption/power at any elevation/long term reliability at several hundred thousand miles/cheaper oil change schedules or just regular scheduled maintenance/etc. If you notice I didn't say all diesels. Towing with your gasser makes sense for you but in my case with over a 600+ mile a week commute plus doing a bit of hauling for bucks it would have been a economic disaster." (end of quote)

Your V10 comes up short in the torque department when matched with newer gen diesels such as my 305/555 Cummins engine. Just as my 305/555 Cummins comes up short with the newer 325/600 engines and especially the new 350/650 diesel.

Your replies would be more credible if you would drop the ignorant remarks. I'm certainly not and your probably not either. Your use of them wasn't necessary.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides