cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dinette.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to get more in depth into the replacement camper hunt. I like the look of the U shaped dinettes. I realize they will take up more room and am thinking about space for the grandkids. Anybody who wants to pipe in with their thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS
14 REPLIES 14

ck1
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my Lance with the sofa instead of the dinette and in hindsight that wont happen again...1) when eating at the table it is small 2 I am staring at the bathroom wall, I would rather look out the window. 3 when the sofa is down for a bed there aint no room to get by the bed to go outside....I think the booth type is the best for a non-slide camper like mine but would have a U shape if i ever get a camper with a slide
Cameron
2003 3500 Heavy Duty quad Cab 2wd SLT CTD DRW Auto 4.10
2008 Lance 1055
68 MBZ 280SL Roadster...
47 Ford Super Deluxe Coupe
67 ford Falcon
91 Jeep Cherokee
95 Jeep Wrangler
photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/ck1105

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AF1150 with the normal setting and like it. I do think the U shaped one LOOKS better, but it doesn't seem to be as functional.

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I ask for opinions and I am getting them. Next I might ask about wet/dry bath preferences.
2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rickeoni wrote:
I am going to look at the limited selection of campers we have for sale here on the wet coast of Canada. So many more choices since my last purchase. This will probably be our last RV purchase before I get to old and decrepit to do anything anymore and just want to make a decision that works for years to come.

I have always thought that this...

Looks more inviting than this....

Not to me. I picture myself with a full plate and drink with nowhere to set it. Those corner seats look nice but it doesn't look like you can really sit in them if you have legs.

Does that extra piece of wood on the floor make the bed? If so, where does the table go at night? Our booth table is attached to the wall and simply drops down. Making up the bed takes 30 seconds.

It's really a matter of personal preference but you did ask for opinions. I wanted room to seat 4 for dinner or to build puzzles. A u-shaped dinette would be a deal breaker.

Neither one has very comfortable seating for just sitting.

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
We have a U shape and I've often wondered if the booth seats would be better. One side of the U has plenty of room while the other leaves you wishing you had no legs. It is nice having the wall section though, the dog loves to lay there when the table is pushed in. I guess she thinks it's her cave.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

rickeoni
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to look at the limited selection of campers we have for sale here on the wet coast of Canada. So many more choices since my last purchase. This will probably be our last RV purchase before I get to old and decrepit to do anything anymore and just want to make a decision that works for years to come.

I have always thought that this...

Looks more inviting than this....

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We opted for dream dinette in our new Eagle Cap as our Son will use the bed every night.
Our last camper had the U dinette...making the bed is a little hassle, not terrible, but not as easy as the DD.

The other issue with a U is leg room...

B
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I have both. With a few alterations my standard dinette can be made to transform into either one. Takes a minute to go from U shaped dinette to standard dinette, and back again. We never worry about how much seating or table we might need.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
We love our u-dinette. It has a large tabletop and you can easily seat 7 at it with the use of 2 chairs on the open side. It was a mandatory item when looking at new tt's, it makes a perfect bed for our tall son.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
I have a EC 1165 on order and I ordered it without the "U" dinette as I wanted more table room for the ham radio's and stuff. The "U" table is real small.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Photog101
Explorer
Explorer
I have a sleeper sofa in mine, and I have two tables. One long that takes 2 posts and one that is small with only 1 post. Plenty of room in either mode. Also makes for a nice, quick and easy, bed.
Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.
'12 C2500, EC, 6.6L Duramax
A couple of older 5th wheels housing homeless vets.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never really got the point of a u-shaped dinette that seats 6 but has place settings for 2. Maybe a card game?

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
After trying out both styles, we opted for the dream dinette offered by Arctic Fox. No pole or floor mounts to mess with are a plus and making the bed up is a breeze. The U shape just didn't meet our needs as we often use it with 3-4 adults plus 2 kids. Might find a large dealership near you that has both styles to try them out.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

uScott
Explorer
Explorer
We remodeled our bench dinette to a U-shape by adding a 3rd bench/storage bay and a pedestal socket for a small table made from scrap plywood. The expanded seating and storage is nice, but the table is SMALL with a capital S. With just the two of us it's not bad, but it's not a great setup for (adult) guests. Small kids might have an easier time of it, but I have no experience there.
2001 Lance 1121 TC loaded
1998 Dodge 3500 QC CTD DRW