cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I have enough goat?... I mean Ram......

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
As a preamble: I have a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I have the automatic 8 speed tranny... long story short... I'm rated at 8,150 towing, and 1,650 payload. It is what it is, and such shall it be... at least for a couple of years. (I might add that I'm very happy with the truck)

I am looking at a new trailer (Sonoma 240 RKS if your curious).

The trailer specs say 673 tongue weight, 5,976 empty, 7,673 max loaded.

So... using old-school East Texas mathematics (I had to kick a shoe off).... If you figure 400 pounds for me and my wife (that's mostly me btw ๐Ÿ˜‰ add 100 pounds for the hitch itself, and throw in 673 for the stated tongue weight... I should still have 477 pounds of capacity.

Then... in regards to the trailer: If it is at max loaded weight... I'd still have about that much capacity as far as towing...

Am I missing something?

Also, I'm currently running P275/60R20 tires... Should I strongly consider going to LT?

I also welcome hitch recommendations, as well as brake controller.

We really like the trailer... we're downsizing after three Power Strokes, and two fifth wheels... We might consider a 3/4 ton in a few years... but no sooner... So... I want to avoid burying myself just to prove my skills with a shovel.... so I am seeking the wise counsel of my forum friends...

Thanks,
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
30 REPLIES 30

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a decent match to me given how you're planning on loading the truck. I wouldn't want to go a whole lot bigger with a half ton but I don't see any obvious issues. I would definitely put E rated LT tires on it when it's time to replace the current set, and depending on how it rides the truck might benefit from bags or timbrens. I'd see how it does first before doing either, though.

I would pay attention to your tire and axle ratings too. In a lot of half tons a full payload weight on top of the rear axle will exceed the axle and/or tire rating.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP, I think you have enough truck and should be fine. Just some thoughts though...

The true tongue weight will be more than 673. Figure 12-15% of your total loaded weight for a good tongue weight. That puts you at closer to 900 lbs of tongue weight when loaded up. You should still have plenty of payload, but will probably be closer to the upper limit than you estimate.

When its time for new tires you should strongly consider D or E rated tires. They will have less "squish" and side to side movement, allowing your towing to feel a LOT better.

I towed similar weights for several years with my Tundra and it did just fine. I imagine the Hemi with 8 speed will handle the weight just as good as the Tundra did... if not better.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Austria7 wrote:
GoHorns: Thank you for posting this, it looks like we are in a very similar situation. I have a 2017 RAM 1500 HEMI with 9,830 towing capacity and 1,450 Payload capacity.

That's my problem with Ram 1500 trucks, piss-poor payload capacities, compared to towing capacities.
The only way that truck could tow 9830lbs, is if it was a boat.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Austria7
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns: Thank you for posting this, it looks like we are in a very similar situation. I have a 2017 RAM 1500 HEMI with 9,830 towing capacity and 1,450 Payload capacity.

We are looking to buy a Imagine Trailer (like the quality and floor-plans) and we're trying to figure out how big we can go. We really like the 2950RL, but at 8,995 GVWR I'm afraid I'm pushing my limits.

Also, I see you're pulling the Imagine 2150RB, I suppose that's an easy load for our RAM?

We are planning to use this for extended 3-4 months trips. We are not "extreme-campers", meaning that cooking is limited, and we plan to spend a couple of days per week in a hotel/motel in between camping nights. - What's important to us is comfortable sleeping arrangements, USEFUL bathroom, and decent TV service.

Any input and recommendations would be very much appreciated. - Can we really match the trailers GVWR to the trucks Towing Capacity, or is there more to the math? Remember, we WILL cross the Rockies a few times and do not want to get stuck when we do.

Thanks, all the best, HAPPY TRAVELS
Robert
2004 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x4 Diesel ๐Ÿ™‚
Outback 28RS
Me, the boss and 3kids

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Max tire pressure for towing (rears at least) or switch to LT tires. Night and day.
Also as I have said before, it's all in the hitch.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Don't forget, your truck's payload also has to include a full tank of fuel, as that is never considered part of the "dry weight." Obviously it changes between fill up and running on fumes. So multiply the fuel tank capacity in gallons, multiply by 7.4 to get the weight, and add that to the cargo you'll be carrying.

On the face of it, it looks doable to me.

I don't believe this to be true. Vehicle curb weights include full fluids, fuel is already accounted for and does not subtract from payload.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I see no problem with that setup; I pulled more than that with my old Tundra and your Ram is a bit more capable.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
You should be ok but what you are missing is actual trailer weights. Brochure weights are dry and can be misleading. They usually don't include options, propane, batteries, etc. Dry weights can be several hundred pounds higher and a lot of that is on the tongue. Look for a yellow sticker on the actual trailer which will show its weight as it left the factory. Once loaded I would guess you would be around 7k with a tongue weight pushing 900lbs.

+1 on these numbers. And watch out if the TT has a front-located fresh water tank; when filled it can add way more to your hitch weight. I would go with LT tires, maybe a bit lower profile too, for reduced flex in the sidewalls and thus better handling (the flex can let your tires squirm under a sideways force).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You're not going to like the P rated tires.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Looks to me like your good to go!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget, your truck's payload also has to include a full tank of fuel, as that is never considered part of the "dry weight." Obviously it changes between fill up and running on fumes. So multiply the fuel tank capacity in gallons, multiply by 7.4 to get the weight, and add that to the cargo you'll be carrying.

On the face of it, it looks doable to me.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You should be ok but what you are missing is actual trailer weights. Brochure weights are dry and can be misleading. They usually don't include options, propane, batteries, etc. Dry weights can be several hundred pounds higher and a lot of that is on the tongue. Look for a yellow sticker on the actual trailer which will show its weight as it left the factory. Once loaded I would guess you would be around 7k with a tongue weight pushing 900lbs.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
When fully aired up, the P rated tires do a respectable job. I would stick with them until it's time for new ones, then consider upgrading. Because I live in snow country, I'll be upgrading to those LTs before next Winter. The OEM Goodyear SRAs that come on these Rams are not impressive in snow and ice.

I added the OEM brake controller after the fact and couldn't be happier. It's the smoothest braking I've ever experienced. Virtually no herky-jerky. However, there have been reports of inadequate braking when using the OEM one in conjunction with heavy duty trailer axles. That shouldn't be an issue with a 1500 though, since such a trailer would be way too heavy in the first place.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
My truck does have the 3.21 rear axle ratio. However, that is factored into the stated towing capacity.

http://webcontent.goodsam.com/trailerlife.com/digital_editions/TrailerLifeTowGuide2016.pdf
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it should work to me. But I am sure the Weight Police will soon be here to tell you why you need a DRW for that trailer.

In regards to the tires, I do think LT's would be on my upgrade list. Actually, they are on my own upgrade list as I don't like how the P tires on my Yukon XL handle with my 6500 pound boat.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010