cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do we need to remove the TV for winter storage?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my second winter with our new 2014 Bullet 285RLS. We did not remove the TV last winter and had no problems this year. Should we be removing? I haven't seen a thread on that. We have a 24" flat screen, not very big. Temps in NJ will be well below freezing a lot in Dec- Feb. What do you experienced TT owners do with your TV in the winter?
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
30 REPLIES 30

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
What is this Freezing thing you are talking about? I must ask the DW if it freezes here, I don't think so. Oh yeah, this is the dreaded Los Angeles Basin, where folks have summer shorts and winter shorts but we don't winterize our RVs

Actually, I have been in several places where it is frequently well below freezing and none of our watches, clocks, dash displays, computer monitors or TVs have any problems.

The beginning of this reply was of course Tongue In Cheek. Kinda!
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

bedell
Explorer
Explorer
The TVs get to your local store on an unheated truck that got them from an unheated container that was on a train.The container came over from China on the open deck of a ship in all kinds of weather. We never took ours out and it did fine in Colorado winters. Just saying. Happy trails.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Lowest temp in my area last Winter was -25f. I leave the LCD LED screen mounted and don't touch it during the Winter. It is not powered (no standby power connected). No problems as of yet.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS for all the guidance! Sounds like it is definitely OK outside . Our temps in Jersey might get to 0 but that is as cold as it ever gets. Security is not an issue since stored at my home! Appreciate all the good info as always!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

icanon
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Canada I have never taken my tv out, neither does any of the rv dealers. Think of it this way how many tv's are transported during the winter months and left in storage, they never have any problems.
Loving wife and 2 beautiful daughters.
Chocolate Lab, Lily
2014 Dodge Ram Laramie Hemi 5.7 with 3.92
2014 Dutchmen Kodiak 290BHSL
ProPride 3P Hitch
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Love my Weber Q1200
Me a Happy man on retirement!!!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Downloaded a Vizio manual here: VIZIO L32 HDTV User Manual and searched for temperature:

When moving the LCD TV from an area of low temperature to an area of high temperature, condensation may form on the housing. Do not
turn on the LCD TV immediately after this to avoid causing fire, electric shock or component damage.

Operating environment: Temperature: 40ยฐF ~ 95ยฐF, Humidity: 10% to 90% non-condensing, Altitude: 0~10,000 ft.

Non operating environment: Temperature: -20~50ยฐC, Relative Humidity: 10~90%, Altitude: 0~40,000 ft.

IMO, storing it inside is a better alternative for longevity. If your TT is in storage, I would definitely take it home.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Sharp has been left at my seasonal site at -40F and works fine. Just don't turn it on when cold. Same with the Sony home theater system that keeps the tv company over winter. I do remove the batteries the intense cold kills them.

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
I used to remove mine. just got to be a PITA routing all the wires every spring. Now I just unplug it and let it hang. Plus, its one less thing I have to deal with in the spring.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
I've had TVs in storage that were subject to well below zero temps and they were fine.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The cold won't hurt it, the screens etc are the same as what is used in today's vehicles that are subjected to a large range of temperatures. I do take mine out though, but for security reasons ( storage lot away from house).
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
If it were practical I'd store the entire trailer for the winter in an indoor, heated workshop just as I used to do back when we owned popups ... but I can't so I don't. However, I do remove those items that are practical to remove and store indoors, the TV being one, not because I have to but simply because I can. If others don't agree, too bad so sad, I'll continue doing it anyway. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Cold won't hurt it. Turning it on when it is cold may cause problems.

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
I'm up here in Canada where it gets substantially colder....yuup I take mine in...wrap it up in an old blanket and store it in the basement.

You got it. That cold will crack a toe nail. Haha.

Never hurts to put it indoors.

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm up here in Canada where it gets substantially colder....yuup I take mine in...wrap it up in an old blanket and store it in the basement.

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Visio tv in 2008. Flat screen. Had it in the garage in Wyoming all winter and I am still watching it right not.

Non led