cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need to remove the TV for winter storage?

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my second winter with our new 2014 Bullet 285RLS. We did not remove the TV last winter and had no problems this year. Should we be removing? I haven't seen a thread on that. We have a 24" flat screen, not very big. Temps in NJ will be well below freezing a lot in Dec- Feb. What do you experienced TT owners do with your TV in the winter?
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch
30 REPLIES 30

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
answer, no on new rigs.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
When I read the title of the thread I thought you were just going to leave your spare truck (TV) connected to the trailer for the winter. :S

NO ... a TV is a television where I come from...

I know. But in the trailering forum world a TV is also a "tow vehicle". 🙂

Unhitch, Unhitch....lest they get frozen together......:B
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
temccarthy1 wrote:
hohenwald48 wrote:
When I read the title of the thread I thought you were just going to leave your spare truck (TV) connected to the trailer for the winter. :S

I know. But in the trailering forum world a TV is also a "tow vehicle". 🙂
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea on removing the small alkaline batteries. I think I'll remove them and store in a plastic bag until Spring. Fairly low chance of a newish battery having a problem in cold storage but it's worth the effort to be sure.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeti plus wrote:
TV stays in trailer, BUT the batteries are removed from all remotes!
I had the batteries go bad and leak in the radio/CD/DVD remote. It was a royal pain in the butt to get a new one.
So all batteries are removed from all remotes and the indoor outdoor thermometer. Fresh batteries are placed in the smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors in the fall as well.
Brian

VERY good point on the remote batteries! I'm convinced the TV can stay in the TT from all the feedback, but what do the rest of you do with remote batteries? I covered my TT already and left the remote batteries in as I did last winter ( no damage) but is that risky from freezing which could potentially ruin the expensive remote?
Equalizer E2 hitch

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
TV stays in trailer, BUT the batteries are removed from all remotes!
I had the batteries go bad and leak in the radio/CD/DVD remote. It was a royal pain in the butt to get a new one.
So all batteries are removed from all remotes and the indoor outdoor thermometer. Fresh batteries are placed in the smoke and Carbon monoxide detectors in the fall as well.
Brian
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
hohenwald48 wrote:

Equalizer E2 hitch

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I own and operate rental property and self storage. Over the years televisions and all manner of electrical gadgets and devices have been stored in unheated/uncooled units. Never a problem!
Times fun when you're having flies!

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
LCD screens will freeze and crack. I left a laptop and an ohm meter in my jeep over night once, both screens cracked. (this was not in Houston by the way lol)
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS for all the input everyone! Looks like it will be safe in the TT from your experiences! much appreciated input!
Equalizer E2 hitch

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
I have not removed my flat screen TV since from my TT I bought it in 2010 and it has been working just fine.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't remove mine. But, it's a cheapie. I don't want to spend the money but, a 125 bucks would replace it if I had too. I've been storing it in the TT for 4 years and no problems with it so far. I sometimes go out there in the winter heat up the camper and spend time inside watching the TV when I do.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
These TV's are supposed to be able to handle storage in cold temperatures, however I've had 2 of them now fail in the spring during first use. They were cheap brand TV's from walmart, but both worked perfectly fine in the trailer until after winter storage. Could be a coincidence, but I bring mine indoors now during the winter. It takes two seconds to unplug two wires, and slide the TV off the mounting bracket and carry it into the house.

When both of those TV's failed, there were several lines not working across the display, however the TV did turn on and operate.