cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge built in trailer brake?

djcjc
Explorer
Explorer
Had a code on the built in trailer CF and message on dash Service heavy duty trailer brake followed by another message Heavy duty trailer brake disconnected. Has happened quite a few times in the last month. Took truck in for an oil change and had service look at it they said there was an update but apparently there has been problems if it happens again they will replace controller. Reccomend to hook up trailer and see what happens. Trailer is in shed and is not coming out till the 16 of this month when I am taking to the dealer for axle service and slide maintenance. Have not had any trailer hooked to truck in months. 2012 3500 dually dsl still under warranty for 2 more thousand miles. Anyone else have any problems with built in controller. I surely don't want problems going down the road if it can be avoided.
4 REPLIES 4

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue on my 2012 Ram. Never figured it out. It went away after I went through the trailer wiring under the fiver. I thought maybe a bare spot on the wire.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I know many of the 2011"s had that issue, but I haven't heard many complaints since then. For sure have the dealership take a look as its sensing something that isn't there.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If the trailer has the one piece 7-prong plug, that is likely your problem. For whatever reason, the integrated controller doesn't like them. Had that same problem on my truck. Chased it for a year. Finally replaced the plug, and the problem went away. Not sure why this happens, but the guy that works on my trailers said it is pretty common.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Insure the 7 pin connector is clean and dry. If so then I would take it back and have them swap it out. Sounds like it thinks there's a trailer connected when there isn't.
It wont fix itself.