cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodge - Diesel or gas?

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Already know my new truck will be a 2014 Dodge SRW Crew Cab 4x4 with auto tranny. What I don't know is if I should go with the new 6.4 or diesel. Worked outthe numbers and the cost for my use of 15k miles/year with 50% TC duty, 25% DD, and 25% errands is only a few hundred difference a year.

So it comes down to the other advantage to decide.

Diesel - all the power and torque could need and then some.

Gas
-no cool down time (important due to lots of stops for sightseeing)
-less weight on the same axles/brakes equals better braking (best I can find, the 6.4 will use the same axles as the diesel)
-less to worry about (no DEF, turbo, etc)

My previous truck was a 92 F350 w/460 auto which I used to pull a 7,000# TT including a trip to Yellowstone and Arches. Never had an issue with power on that truck. So am familiar and comfortable with reving the engine for the power.

Which would you choose and why?
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)
96 REPLIES 96

bcbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
campingken wrote:
We own an older Dodge Diesel that we bought new and now has 142,000 miles. It is supposed to be one of the "better" years. It has done a fine job carrying our pop up camper and towing our horse trailer. However last year it needed a new turbo and the price was close to $5000.

From what I have read the new V-8's tow nearly as well as the older diesels. The new diesels are tow BEASTS!! However they cost more, do not produce the MPG of the older diesels, are more complicated, and perhaps they are more prone to expensive repairs.

When we replace our diesel it will more than likely be with a new V-8.

Sorry to say you were had by a unscrupulous shop. A rebuilt turbo for your truck is 1000$ and a new performance turbo runs around 1500$. Remove and replace should under no circumstances take more than 2 hours for stock turbo.
2002 Dodge 3500 2wd dually, cummins, 4.10 gears, 10500gvwr, Rancho 9000's shocks
2005 Bigfoot 259.6E, 80watt solar, eu2000 Honda gen., 2x group 31 AGM bats., 7100 btu aircond, electric rear step.

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
campingken wrote:
We own an older Dodge Diesel that we bought new and now has 142,000 miles. It is supposed to be one of the "better" years. It has done a fine job carrying our pop up camper and towing our horse trailer. However last year it needed a new turbo and the price was close to $5000.

From what I have read the new V-8's tow nearly as well as the older diesels. The new diesels are tow BEASTS!! However they cost more, do not produce the MPG of the older diesels, are more complicated, and perhaps they are more prone to expensive repairs.

Im just curious if you were going back with the same turbo? Or if you were trying to go back with a different turbo or maybe twin turbos to add HP and torque? And was this at a dealership? Just curious.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

campingken
Explorer
Explorer

Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Sue Bee wrote:
You're both being silly, and not helpful. New diesels smoke way less and stink way less than the good old clatter trucks of years past.

To my way of thinking, if you plan on putting many, many miles on the odometer every year, and/or if you plan on hauling or towing heavy items, and if you want your truck to last more than 150-200K, and you plan on keeping it until it pukes, or reselling it at some point further on down the line (like when it has 200K on it), you will recoup the extra cost of the diesel engine, and the exhast brake will make you happy. If you plan on driving it less than 10K a year, aren't doing much heavy hauling or towing, plan on selling it within 6-8 years, go for the gasser.

This falls into my right tool for the job comment. I could not agree more.

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
Ive just been reading along and learning a lot thanks to all the informative posts. I just wanted to add one thing. With some vigorous searching and patience you can easily find a diesel that's already broken in and eliminate the upfront costs of a diesel and enjoy the best of both worlds. Unless you just want a Brand new one. But I wont ever buy new again no matter what type of engine I go with. I prefer to buy a diesel that's been out there a few years trouble free at a fraction of the cost and pay cash for it and save the money that I would have spent on a new one for minor repairs. All while enjoying 700 plus miles to a tank of diesel, and all the pulling power I could ever want for. Picked up a nice 1995 12 valve extended cab long bed for $3800.00 Everything including the power windows, air, cruise, working great a year later. I don't think Ill ever need to make another truck payment and so that should cover any future repairs. Just my 2 cents. Later guys and gals.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

Less_Stuff
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Having recently bought an early 2000's F250, the diesel premium you show seems really high. We found for similarly equiped trucks, there was almost no premium for the diesel.

Those are NADA guide numbers. I didn't check for Ford, but I could imagine that the FORD 6.0 & 6.4 diesel DID NOT add much value in the used market. In my estimation and speaking with a close friend who WAS a owner of a 6.4 diesel, there would be NO premium, but a negative.

Just stating what I have seen. Others have a totally different picture.

Having sold a diesel Chevy let me say several dealers didn't want to give me any premium for a diesel trade in.
I think I got a small diesel premium but it took some talking.
My diesel was sure not worth the cost I paid vs. the use I received.
When diesels go wrong costs are high. Just injectors can be almost as expensive as a complete Gas engine overhaul.
DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Having recently bought an early 2000's F250, the diesel premium you show seems really high. We found for similarly equiped trucks, there was almost no premium for the diesel.

Those are NADA guide numbers. I didn't check for Ford, but I could imagine that the FORD 6.0 & 6.4 diesel DID NOT add much value in the used market. In my estimation and speaking with a close friend who WAS a owner of a 6.4 diesel, there would be NO premium, but a negative.

Just stating what I have seen. Others have a totally different picture.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JumboJet wrote:
Just for comparison:

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/Hemi Engine

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/Cummins Diesel Engine

And you will pay more for the diesel equipped truck up front.

But oh the pleasure of pulling those loads and driving into those 30 mph headwinds with the diesel.

We did the comparison and after factoring in fuel economy and fuel prices, fuel costs and maintenance was pretty much a wash. I have a truck with a 1/4 million miles and the problem wasn't the engine but the body and other parts falling apart.

Now if you are looking new, the $10k up front cost makes the diesel a loser from a financial point of view unless you truely need the capabilities that it brings. The gas v10 is more power than we need anyway and probably is plenty for 95% of the folks who upgrade to the diesel.

Comparing it to commercial trucks is a much different animal. They can easily put on 10 times your projected milage so saving a 1/10th of a cent per mile may be enough to sway the descion. At 15k miles per year, fuel savings are not going to be enough to justify the up front cost.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
jumbo...that is surprising...thanks for digging that up. We throw those numbers around a lot...never thought to research it.

One thing to keep in mind as grayghost pointed out (BTW I do feel bad about your experience) there were some years with diesel when the new emission regs kicked in that might be best avoided. The 2007-2010 years were not the best times for diesels as the Mfrs were still sorting out the technology they would use to meet new emission standards.
Pre 2007 and since ~ 2011 diesels are awesome...all 3 of them. The older ones did not have the emission standards we do now and the latest gen are just incredible.
The economy of the older Cummins is legendary, and the tq/hp of the newer diesel is just mind boggling as well as decent economy.
I would avoid the 2007-2011 years (you can research the different brands to find out exactly when they changed their emissions technology).

We have owned both. I'll stick with diesel.

Bill

I was lucky and got my 07 6.7 cummins with the delete already done. It's had no issues and out performs my 7.3 powerstroke in almost every aspect. If you know what too look for, they can be had and be cheaper even. All because of a reputation that's due to a removeable part. :B
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
jumbo...that is surprising...thanks for digging that up. We throw those numbers around a lot...never thought to research it.

One thing to keep in mind as grayghost pointed out (BTW I do feel bad about your experience) there were some years with diesel when the new emission regs kicked in that might be best avoided. The 2007-2010 years were not the best times for diesels as the Mfrs were still sorting out the technology they would use to meet new emission standards.
Pre 2007 and since ~ 2011 diesels are awesome...all 3 of them. The older ones did not have the emission standards we do now and the latest gen are just incredible.
The economy of the older Cummins is legendary, and the tq/hp of the newer diesel is just mind boggling as well as decent economy.
I would avoid the 2007-2011 years (you can research the different brands to find out exactly when they changed their emissions technology).

We have owned both gas and diesel. I'll stick with diesel.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
The new diesel's DPFs sound problematic.

And they are easy to delete. 144,000 miles with the delete done and not a single issue. It all boils down to what you are willing to do.

Around here it's rare to find a station without diesel. I've never heard first hand of anyone having water or gelling issues. It's undeniable that the power of a diesel is greater. Reliability is too if you know what you are doing and what you are getting into. I think most diesel bashers are no different than those that bashed fuel injection. It's a different animal and people fear what they don't know.

In fact I just picked up an 89 cummins for my daily driver. Unknown number of miles, automatic and runs like a top. It does not smell, leak and it cranks quicker than my 2007. In my opinion, anyone driving a 3/4 or bigger truck that gets a gas engine made a poor decision. You get a bigger truck to haul bigger loads. Get a motor designed to haul bigger loads as well. And a camper is a big load, no matter which way you slice it.
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
The new diesel's DPFs sound problematic.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Just for comparison:

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/Hemi Engine

2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/Cummins Diesel Engine

And you will pay more for the diesel equipped truck up front.

But oh the pleasure of pulling those loads and driving into those 30 mph headwinds with the diesel.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
dadwolf2 wrote:
Guys...quit arguing with him. AKA: don't feed him anymore.

Need sticky "don't feed the forums resident troll". Maybe it will keep down topic hijacks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
Guys...quit arguing with him. AKA: don't feed him anymore.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB