cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Does my usage warrant diesel? Cummins 6.7 with AISIN...

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, having read many, many, old threads here. I want to say up front, the initial cost of the diesel, gas mileage, and ongoing cost of regular oil changes and maintenance are not considerations with my decision. My only concern is which motor will be most reliable in the years to come.

Wife and I have decided on Dodge 3500 Mega cab Laramie SRW 4x4. Hauling 27-28' Airstream (7-8k lbs) through Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn a weekend or two each month and a big 2-3 week trip each summer out west is main towing usage.

My concern, my daily driving is just 5-7 miles (45-55 mph) into and from town, once weekly driving 30 miles away and back seeing family. And once a month 2.5 hours away to the coast to see family. Sometimes more highway driving, but this is the minimum average.

Then soon adding an Airstream, which we plan to do soon after buying TV. We will take at least one weekend trip a month to the Smoky Mountains of NC and Tenn which is 4-5 hours one way.

Is that enough to keep a diesel happy?

Read they need to be driven a lot to 'clean out'. Read various ramblings about 'Regen', throwing 'Error codes', and such, but not sure how much driving style plays into this. My concern is my driving style may better suit the gas 6.4 Hemi.

An additional variable, I'm very interested in the AISIN $2400 transmission upgrade, but it's only available in the Ram 3500 with Cummins 6.7 diesel. So if going with gas, I don't have this option available to me. Anyone familiar with AISIN? Would love to hear about it.

Our primary goal is to have a long trouble free engine life. Plan is to keep truck a long time. We don't buy new cars often. We take care of them and keep them around. My main question is for our intended usage, do you think the Cummins or Hemi 6.4 would be best?

Thanks for any insights you may share.

Dan
NC
113 REPLIES 113

RADROG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4X4CCSB works excellent as my commuter car. (10 miles one way). Glad to have a diesel now, with the higher cost of gasoline ($2.69/gal diesel vs. $4.15/gal 87 octane).

The few occasions when I do tow a flat bed trailer/off-road car out to the desert, the towing power of the diesel is excellent.

Bottom line is: If you are going to tow at all, go with the diesel.
2005 American Tradition 370 Cummins ISL

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock wrote:
I plan on keeping truck till my kids are off to college. They are both currently in diapers. The $11k for the Cummins and AISIN is not a concern. Assuming this combo will provide more reliability over the long haul. I'm just checking with you guys and gals here to be sure my driving habits won't prematurely wear on the diesel. I've never owned a diesel so my insights are limited and my opinion infirm. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

Sounds like you want a diesel Dan, for the longevity....Do you need the Aisin? "No". As mentioned the 68RFE is a very good transmission. I'm from the Asheville area and do all my towing in the mountains of NC, TN, SC, VA and WV..last two dually's I owned had the 68RFE tranny and my 5er again, was loaded to 16,300# and I never had the first issue with the 68RFE auto tranny....Nothing wrong with it at all....Now AGAIN, IF you want the Aisin, it is a medium duty tranny, as is the Cummins, a medium duty diesel....With Aisin, you get more HP & TQ and can also opt for the 4:10 or 3:73 tranny or stay with 3:42.....Your money, your call...I purchased my truck because it's going to be my "retirement" truck and I may go with an even heavier 5er than what I have now and plan on seeing the US west of the Mississippi soon, so I figure I already have all the truck I need for doing what I have planned:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I saw The Fast Lane Truck video of the 6.4 Hemi CC and its run on the Ike Gauntlet was dismal. At one point it was in first gear going 30 mph. Granted, it was hauling 4k lbs more than I would, but still, it was sucking hind tit.

In contrast, their test of the Cummins was the opposite, they bragged about it. Had to let off accelerator so they wouldn't speed. Day and night compared to the 6.4 Hemi. My sole usage will be in Smoky Mtns.

Dan

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on keeping truck till my kids are off to college. They are both currently in diapers. The $11k for the Cummins and AISIN is not a concern. Assuming this combo will provide more reliability over the long haul. I'm just checking with you guys and gals here to be sure my driving habits won't prematurely wear on the diesel. I've never owned a diesel so my insights are limited and my opinion infirm. Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to say that it is going to really depend on which one you like best. For what you are towing the 6.4 will do just fine even in the hills. It's just going to rev and shift more. Fuel mileage I doubt will be that much different. The edge will go to the Cummins on that but not a lot. I guess what I'm saying is that in the long run there won't be much difference in the cost of the two trucks as far as ownership. Reliability is hard to say. The 6.4 is still fairly new in the trucks but seems to be doing very well so far. The Cummins is pretty much self explanatory.

I don't think you will go wrong either way you decide just keep in mind that you may decide to grow your RV over time and the heavier you go the more you will like the Cummins in the hills. The exhaust brake is worth it's weight in gold in the hills.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The daily 5-7mi will not get it warm.
The weekly 30mi will resolve that issue.

The trailer is light, and you would probably be better off with the 6.4 (coming from a person that has a 5.9 CTD to pull a 6-7k trailer).

Why Aisin? Save the money and get the 68 (the stock auto trans). My dad has a '14 pulling ~15k with the 68RFE, works great. I'm impressed and jealous of how nice it is. If you daily pulled, or the truck was strictly a trailer puller then you could maybe justify the Aisin, but not at your weight or towing frequency.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Truck in my sig is my daily driver and tows a much heavier unit than your's does, but I have a lot of room to grow should I want to go to a heavier 5er...I love the Cummins with the Aisin.

As stated above the 6.4 gasser would do what you need to do with no more than you're towing,...but again, if thinking of going heavier down the road and towing in the mountains...I'd just prefer the Cummins and the Aisin....If one has "too much" truck, he doesn't worry much about if he has what it takes to do the job now or later down the road if you should opt to "go bigger" in an RV
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy what you want, but the 6.4L Hemi would do a great job with that load.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
New trucks use DEF which has pretty much eliminated stop and go city driving issued earlier trucks had. Instead of new, how about a two or three year old truck and a beater car to commute in?
5 to 7 miles is simply not enough to warm any vehicle up. All are going to have problems.
Asian trans? Why? The 68RFE is a fantastic automatic that so far has had fewer issues than the Allison.