cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double tube hitch extension for heavy trailer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My camper overhangs the back of my truck bed by 18", and extends approximately 12" behind the end of the receiver.

For the last few years I've been towing my enclosed utility trailer using a custom 12" extension and a standard 5000lb shank. Here it is in prototype stage, before I added some 15,000lb D-rings and safety chained it to the truck:

When I tow my big flatbed to a tractor show, I use a standard length shank directly in the receiver. This puts the tongue of the flatbed under the camper, and dangerously close to the underside of the camper. All I need to do is hit a hump wrong going into a gas station.

To whit, I have come up with an idea to utilize my existing extension along with a custom extra-long shank as a tube-in-tube extension:

This is for use with gross loads of <8000lbs. That covers most of my hauling needs. Heavier than that I would use the standard short shank.

Feel free to pick it apart.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
16 REPLIES 16

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
double post
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
This is what Reese has to say about their extensions here

It looks like it might be close for 1000# at your length . I would probably add side chains to t to help with lateral sway .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Comparative real life results to my situation, I have towed my 4,000 lbs boat on a 15" long, 2" shank into my OEM receiver for 7 years.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Wo_ody
Explorer
Explorer
This is a cantilever example of the worse case; you are using a fulcrum to "attack" a single attachment point. Makes no difference whether you use a Titian or SuperHitch...all material has to be stronger (which is heavier and translates to more money) if you only use one attachment point. It is also a "worse case" load to the frame as it is single point load to a narrow cross section of the frame instead of distributing the load to distanced frame points.

A possible solution: move the spare tire to another location (like a front mount hitch) and fabricate a second cross-member receiver at the rear of the under-bed spare tire carrier. Now the tongue load is spread across 2 points 36" apart. A a 3" x 3" or 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" tongue would attach to both receivers and a standard 2" receiver insert with the ball size of choice should be OK. The distance of the tongue past the back of the TC should be as short as possible.

The trick would be finding the 4 frame plates to fabricate the 2 pass-through receivers.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't anticipate more than 1000lbs on the tongue of the trailer with the tractors I plan on hauling.

At 25% derating per foot of extension, I still have 1500lbs of capacity on the receiver.

My main concern at this point is the strength of the drawbar. It will be 2" square tube 1/4" wall sleeved inside 2-1/2" square tube 1/4" wall.

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
We use an 18 inch long ball mount ( measured from center of pin hole to center of ball hole) and it puts the ball 1" past the end of the camper and we have an extended tongue on the trailer.

2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Why not go with a Torklift? Two reasons:

1. I already plunked down what I consider big money for the Reese Titan with 2000lbs WC tongue weight capacity, 2500lbs with WD.

2. I only need 12". Supertruss starts at 21".

At 24" the Supertruss is de-rated to 750lbs WC for the tongue.

Just curious,what do you anticipate the rated tongue weight would be on your custom set up?

Lots of opinions here but I find it hard to believe a 12" extension will overpower the capacity of the Reese Titan.
I do have the torklift superhitch on mine but I run a 48" extension.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Sparky87k5 wrote:
I'm following this very closely as I'm in the same situation with my Reese Titan and my TC pulling a 7000 pound boat/trailer. Trying to decide if the 16" extension I have will be OK.

First, determine the tongue weight of your trailer:

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-determine-trailer-tongue-weight.aspx

Next, determine the weight rating of your vehicles hitch receiver (neglecting ball mount).

De-rate hitch receiver capacity by approx. 20-25% for each foot of extension length - this due to the lever effect...

Hope this helps,

3 tons

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
I'm following this very closely as I'm in the same situation with my Reese Titan and my TC pulling a 7000 pound boat/trailer. Trying to decide if the 16" extension I have will be OK.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why not go with a Torklift? Two reasons:

1. I already plunked down what I consider big money for the Reese Titan with 2000lbs WC tongue weight capacity, 2500lbs with WD.

2. I only need 12". Supertruss starts at 21".

At 24" the Supertruss is de-rated to 750lbs WC for the tongue.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
That looks plenty strong, go with it
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just install a Torklift Superhitch?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd probably use a super extra long ball mount or for extra strength, go for a longer 2.5 extension.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Accessories-sf-Hitch_Adapter-pt-Hitch_Extender-pc-Fits_2~1%7C2...
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized